IGNORED

Undroppable Flint?

Alessandro

I know Flint is very popular amongst the City fans, rightly so. Committed to the club, was a rock last season and chipped in with more than his share of goals.

But much like when he first arrived here with a good reputation, and took some time to find his form, he just seems to have gone off the boil again.

Looking back over many of the goals conceded this season, I think he has got away without much criticism so far. Positionally all over the shop at times, ball watching, flat footed, slow reactions. I'd argue three of Birmingham's goals he could/should have snuffed out the threat. Similar story for me in other games this season. Leeds second, Wednesday's first, etc

I know he is not solely to blame, but that centre of the back three needs to be the linchpin, at the moment for me, taking off the rose tinted glasses, he is just not that.

When Little is back, i'd move Moore across to the middle and have Ayling back on the right of the back three. I certainly hope we don't see Ayling in the right wing back position again.

Watching the extended highlights of Saturday's game our whole defence was all over the place. Players out of position, not watching/staying with runners, diving in/standing off giving room. Shambolic really. If we can get some discipline and shape with our back 5 (and Pack) we will see a complete transformation, I reckon. 

Guess you missed our last game before Birmingham. Against Burnley he was magnificent.

Well, he was a bit flat footed on their first goal, and it was 100% his man who scored the second. Yes he had a good game, but you'd expect winning headers at corners to be his bread and butter. Those mistakes cost us goals and therefore the game

As a team of we continue to play with 3 at the back we will continue to ship goals - we have to go back to a back 4.  

It seems there was never a plan B as if there was we would never have sold Greg C.

Always a difficult one for a manager Rob. He obviously has belief in his system and has brought players in to specifically play in that system.

However...it's a true test of character to admit if it's not working. Do you stick to your beliefs or see it early enough and try change?

Plenty of managers have stood by their beliefs and got the big heave ho.

It's just my opinion...but I think SC could be a pretty stubborn man and refuse to change.

I know Flint is very popular amongst the City fans, rightly so. Committed to the club, was a rock last season and chipped in with more than his share of goals.

But much like when he first arrived here with a good reputation, and took some time to find his form, he just seems to have gone off the boil again.

Looking back over many of the goals conceded this season, I think he has got away without much criticism so far. Positionally all over the shop at times, ball watching, flat footed, slow reactions. I'd argue three of Birmingham's goals he could/should have snuffed out the threat. Similar story for me in other games this season. Leeds second, Wednesday's first, etc

I know he is not solely to blame, but that centre of the back three needs to be the linchpin, at the moment for me, taking off the rose tinted glasses, he is just not that.

When Little is back, i'd move Moore across to the middle and have Ayling back on the right of the back three. I certainly hope we don't see Ayling in the right wing back position again.

I agree no one should ever be considered "undroppable" but I don't think the answer to our defensive frailties is to drop our most consistent defender and replace him with a guy who has played one match for us - and doesn't seem to have imprssed many then.

Always a difficult one for a manager Rob. He obviously has belief in his system and has brought players in to specifically play in that system.

However...it's a true test of character to admit if it's not working. Do you stick to your beliefs or see it early enough and try change?

Plenty of managers have stood by their beliefs and got the big heave ho.

It's just my opinion...but I think SC could be a pretty stubborn man and refuse to change.

I agree fully, he won't change but if he doesn't it could end up costing him his job, it's obvious to all were far to open at the moment, even the Birmingham manager alluded to it after the game sat.

I've seen nothing in Flint to think he's due particular criticism.

Every game has either been with a new keeper or a new partner in defence. There has to be allowances for players gaining an extra bit of room or a lack of understanding between the centre backs. That's what made Ayling Flint and Williams strong: they understood each other and complimented each other, and also our keeper too. 

I've still little doubt that our strongest performances for now would be with last year's defence. In time that'll change. 

individual threads on players being dropped. Not necessary or helpful. Win as a team lose as a team. Flint has played no worse or better than any other defender. I'm sure under SC no player is undropable. However in my opinion flint is part of the spine of the Team. Along with freeman, ayling and kodja first names on team sheet

individual threads on players being dropped. Not necessary or helpful. Win as a team lose as a team. Flint has played no worse or better than any other defender. I'm sure under SC no player is undropable. However in my opinion flint is part of the spine of the Team. Along with freeman, ayling and kodja first names on team sheet

Korey smith would be my 1st choice on the teamsheet

individual threads on players being dropped. Not necessary or helpful. Win as a team lose as a team. Flint has played no worse or better than any other defender. I'm sure under SC no player is undropable. However in my opinion flint is part of the spine of the Team. Along with freeman, ayling and kodja first names on team sheet.

I think you're reply here with an automatic assumption of selection is partly what I'm talking about. I've not said he is better/worse than anyone else, just that, IMO he is looking pretty out of depth at the moment but seems exempt from criticism.

TBH you may win and lose as a team, but looking at all the fine details, that means individual performances, small moments in games, gives you a greater chance of winning games. I'm talking about small moments that currently are losing us games. 

Well, he was a bit flat footed on their first goal, and it was 100% his man who scored the second. Yes he had a good game, but you'd expect winning headers at corners to be his bread and butter. Those mistakes cost us goals and therefore the game

you don't give any credit to the attacking team, somtimes our players will be beaten in the air by a combination of a good delivery, and/or good movement.

I expect Flint to be winning a lot of headers from corners, but do I expect him to win them all, no. 

We we need to get used to the fact sometimes the opposition will just be better, it's not a slight on our team. Just a fact. 

If a corner or free kick is played into an area he is not defending, how can he win the ball. If he is front post and ball goes back post how can he win it,  or is marking someone else and corner goes elsewhere. 

If I was opposition I would play balls into the box away from him, which it seems teams are doing with better quality this season.

• Admin

you don't give any credit to the attacking team, somtimes our players will be beaten in the air by a combination of a good delivery, and/or good movement.

I expect Flint to be winning a lot of headers from corners, but do I expect him to win them all, no. 

We we need to get used to the fact sometimes the opposition will just be better, it's not a slight on our team. Just a fact. 

Agreed & if on occasion you note a particularly well executed piece of skill & turn to your mate & verbalise this, you shouldn't be subjected to an attack from another of our supporters, eavesdropping, for being some sort of turncoat.

It's perfectly possible to observe good play by an opponent and still want City to win.

well that's a nicely simplified opinion, one which many would agree with. And to a certain extent I agree with you. 

But admitting 'the opposition will just be better' will not keep us up this season or help us compete.  At which point do you say enough is enough when these 'mistakes' are continually costing goals and therefore games.

I'm really not trying to be negative or destructive, just voicing a thought about Flint. I hope, obviously, that the new defence will be that bit more solid tonight having got a game under their belts Saturday. Fully expect us to nick a win, by one goal, tonight.

well that's a nicely simplified opinion, one which many would agree with. And to a certain extent I agree with you. 

But admitting 'the opposition will just be better' will not keep us up this season or help us compete.  At which point do you say enough is enough when these 'mistakes' are continually costing goals and therefore games.

I'm really not trying to be negative or destructive, just voicing a thought about Flint. I hope, obviously, that the new defence will be that bit more solid tonight having got a game under their belts Saturday. Fully expect us to nick a win, by one goal, tonight.

depends what you class as a mistake, being beaten in the air by a better player isn't a 'mistake' as such as what can you actually do to stop it? There are some really powerful players in this league that are also very strong in the air. Flint whilst good won't win everything.

Not having a man on the post though is a bigger mistake (IMO).

Archived