IGNORED

Would you take a point tonight?

reddogkev

So today we lock horns with our old League one sparring partners, and say hello to GC again.

Feeling apprehensive about this game, as the result will offer a massive indication of how we've developed compared to Preston, and how we might fare for the rest of the season.  If we lose tonight (which for me is an unthinkable prospect) then no doubt a fair few of us will be just a tad suicidal.

We have to make sure we don't lose this game, and I pray that the team can shore up the backline (at least stop conceding 4 goals).

A win away to Preston would be a great way to banish the memories of the last few matches, and give us a bit of an edge again when we face Reading, but saying that I'd take a draw tonight and tip the score to be a respectable 1 - 1.

I wouldn't no. These are the sort of games where I would like to see us ticking over and picking up 1 to 3 points to compensate for some of the tougher games we will face (such as Boro, Brum and Burnley).

Don't get me wrong during the game it might make sense to play for the point as time goes on, but I certainly would like to see us go out on the front foot.

wouldn't take a point before the game, during maybe if losing etc at half time. As a team we can score goals and I actually think when(hopefully soon!) defences frailties are ironed out we are going to be a team that people don't want to play. Goals all over the team. City 3-2 tonight

wouldn't take a point before the game, during maybe if losing etc at half time. As a team we can score goals and I actually think when(hopefully soon!) defences frailties are ironed out we are going to be a team that people don't want to play. Goals all over the team. City 3-2 tonight

Tell you what, Spoons, I like the sound of that score, I'm going to dump my tip of a 1-1 draw in favour of that 3 - 2 win.  Disappointing though that the defence has shipped another 2 goals!

Away from home a point is a bonus. A win is a massive bonus.

Deepdale won't be an easy place to go to.

We must start winning our home games though. If we don't then we will be right up the creek without a paddle.

I'd be happy with a 0-0. At least we will have stopped leaking goals!

Way up north on a Tuesday night against a team that probably wont be far away from us in the final table? Absolutely. A draw would be a very decent result... a clean sheet would be even better!

Kim - firstly, I agree with you that a point would be a decent result.

Secondly, I hope you get over this bed fouling thing. It can't be easy and you are not the only one my friend. 

I think both sides will see this as one to win. We need two good results this week. I'm looking for a minimum 4 points from the two games. I can't make Preston so for the sake of those able to get there I hope we win for you and I will take the draw on Saturday. Can't see any reason why we can't score, just hope we take more of the chances while we get them to take us 2 up rather than 2 down and then back to 2 2. If we just take the chances when they come it will change complexion of games and we can counter instead for once

Our hopes are very much dependant on whether Baker and Moore, with difficult debuts out the way, are now settled in and start showing the sort of measured confident form Cotts. obviously believes them capable of at this level.

After Saturday we need a strong defensive performance first and foremost to boost confidence not only amongst the defenders but throughout the team. If we get that we know this team creates chances so there's every reason to think we'd take one and return with the points.

Like City, PNE are yet to win at home after 3 games. At this stage it looks as though they are likely to be our rivals again this season, though battling it out at the other end of the table, certainly for the forseeable future. Under those circumstances this becomes as very important game for both sides where a draw would be a better point for City and a defeat for either side would leave them even less confident of their ability to make any sort of impact on this league.

I'd take a point, as long as it's a point gained by an encouragingly solid defensive display that sets us up more confidently for the numerous tests to come.

If we keep a clean sheet tonight we will win. 

Ha! There you go Kim Il Sung, I told you we weren't the only forum members who do themselves over night.

It's messy and it's frustrating but nothing to be embarrassed about. 

Which other forum members are incontinent? COYR.

Obviously as a manager you want to win every game...but when looking at the fixture list, I'd be hoping to pick up wins in the next 3 games.

After that...October and November look pretty horrendous...gulp...

As I said back in the sunny (?) days of July - I look at the fixture and wonder where the points are going to come from. It's a tough league, and we just aren't clicking right now

I still think we'll be fine, by that I mean we will stay up - but we are a long, long way off being decent at this level

Not at all, this is a game we have to target maximum points in. Failure to achieve that shows how backwards we've gone.

We target maximum points in every game we play.  That doesn't mean that a draw away from home would be a bad result.  The OP asked if you'd take a point, not whether you'd play for one.  If we draw tonight that would be the same result we achieved at Preston last season, which doesn't suggest we've gone backwards at all.

With 40 games to go and 120 points to play for, we are nowhere near the stage of desperately needing to win.  A point away from home is, generally speaking, a better result for the away team than it is the home, and tonight is no exception.  I would take a draw if offered now.

Being target maximum points in every game we play.  That doesn't mean that a draw away from home would be a bad result.  The OP asked if you'd take a point, not whether you'd play for one.  If we draw tonight that would be the same result we achieved at Preston last season, which doesn't suggest we've gone backwards at all.

With 40 games to go and 120 points to play for, we are nowhere near the stage of desperately needing to win.  A point away from home is, generally speaking, a better result for the away team than it is the home, and tonight is no exception.  I would take a draw if offered now.

I think it's naive to target a win in every game. Sometimes, coming through the match with a clean bill of health in the squad and a positive performance is all that is desired. 

That Being said I wasn't intimating we play for a draw tonight. We are capable of winning the match when considered as a one off and we should settle for nothing less. 

Archived