IGNORED

Wilbraham

GrahamC

Delighted for him that he got our goal tonight.

That was his twentieth league goal for us in just 40 starts, I know that he is going to find this season tough and at 36 next month is realistically probably in his last year with us, but I wish some of those quick to criticise him recently would realise how vital he was to the fact that we are even in The Championship in the first place.

One other thought - I've read several comments over the summer about Joe Garner and how some saw him as a player we should look at. Well, apart from the fact that he's a thug, his career so far shows he is a very mediocre scorer at our level. How many does he have in seven starts so far? None.

If Wilbs had gone all season without a goal some on here would be in absolute meltdown.

Delighted for him that he got our goal tonight.

That was his twentieth league goal for us in just 40 starts, I know that he is going to find this season tough and at 36 next month is realistically probably in his last year with us, but I wish some of those quick to criticise him recently would realise how vital he was to the fact that we are even in The Championship in the first place.

One other thought - I've read several comments over the summer about Joe Garner and how some saw him as a player we should look at. Well, apart from the fact that he's a thug, his career so far shows he is a very mediocre scorer at our level. How many does he have in seven starts so far? None.

If Wilbs had gone all season without a goal some on here would be in absolute meltdown.

I think we're all pleased, Gray. And Wilbs contribution last season and winning personality (in more ways than one) meant he had a reservoir of good will from fans.

But it was reasonable to ask why, when Wilbs was enduring a dry patch in front of goal, that Agard - who'd looked pretty handy - wasn't being used.

Aaron looked more lively today (I only have the BBC Sport thing to judge from), so p'raps it was the case of a blip and a momentary confidence crash - as nearly all strikers are prone to from time-to-time.

I'm sorry but football isn't about being in debt to people, Wilbraham was good for us last year yes. That doesn't warrant him anything this year and on recent performances he shouldn't be near the side. He won't get us 10 goals this year and at times we look like we're playing with 10. It isn't all about goals and for Wilbraham (a target man) his hold up play is non existent. To people who are not educated you see what he does goal wise. Plenty more to the game.

I think we're all pleased, Gray. And Wilbs contribution last season and winning personality (in more ways than one) meant he had a reservoir of good will from fans.

But it was reasonable to ask why, when Wilbs was enduring a dry patch in front of goal, that Agard - who'd looked pretty handy - wasn't being used.

Aaron looked more lively today (I only have the BBC Sport thing to judge from), so p'raps it was the case of a blip and a momentary confidence crash - as nearly all strikers are prone to from time-to-time.

No argument from me and I have no idea why Agard has failed to get on the pitch bar three minutes tonight following his goal at home to Leeds.

I just think some of the social media vitriol is over the top, that's all.

No argument from me and I have no idea why Agard has failed to get on the pitch bar three minutes tonight following his goal at home to Leeds.

I just think some of the social media vitriol is over the top, that's all.

Agree. Agard is what I'd call a 'shifty' player and is able to make runs none of our other strikers are - drop a shoulder, low centre of gravity and just shift across onto a through ball no one can get near. He did the job on the Leeds comeback and looked sharp today and should have scored the winner if it wasn't for a point blank save.

I'm sorry but football isn't about being in debt to people, Wilbraham was good for us last year yes. That doesn't warrant him anything this year and on recent performances he shouldn't be near the side. He won't get us 10 goals this year and at times we look like we're playing with 10. It isn't all about goals and for Wilbraham (a target man) his hold up play is non existent. To people who are not educated you see what he does goal wise. Plenty more to the game.

could not disagree more with everything written here. 

Said it before cant believe the criticism he has been getting on here. Good on him for shutting up a lot of people tonight. 

Always happy to shut up moaners but to be fair today our goal was a combination of our two least involved/impressive players so in the case of Wilbs no criticism but would like to see what Kodjia and Agard can do together.

Well 2 in 7 isn't exactly helping to back this up really, is it. 

From Cotterill's comments I think it was a case of the arm round the shoulder for Wilbraham last night. Cotterill said Wilbs had played probably his worst match since his arrival on Saturday and the player had approached him, he said he was his biggest critic of himself. I think he just needed a game and a goal to regain confidence.

On the flip side of this of course is what it's doing to Agard's confidence who probably could do with an arm round the shoulder and a hug right now.

I'll hold my hands up. I thought it was time for Wilbs to be rested... so of course he was going to score!

However, he still looked a bit off the pace to me first half,  one ball across the six yard box that he was nowhere near- lets just say if JET had been caught napping like that this place would have gone into meltdown.... 

I appreciate what he brings to us as a team, I'm just more excited by the prospect of a Agard & Kodjia partnership.

He's not going to shut me up with one goal and his contributions last season mean nothing to me for this year. Am I grateful for last season? Of course. Do I think Wilbs is still useful? Yes. I don't think he should be a starter full time. He hasn't been scoring, he hasn't been holding up play very well and his poor touches combined with his slower movement have cost him. 

Give me Wilbs for 20 minutes. Whether we need a goal or need to defend, he does the job. I just don't think he's a 90 minute for 46 matches type player these days. I have no problem him getting the odd league starts either but think the majority should be going to Agard. Plus I think  we play better not booting the long ball and think if we need to do that here and there that Kodjia could win a flick on once in awhile but I prefer us not doing it. 

I love Wilbs but he's aging as all do eventually and think we'd be better served saving him for 20-30 minutes and the odd start. Think we'd get the best Wilbraham then. 

Agard would have been as aware as the rest of us of City's prolonged efforts to sign Gayle and Gray. It won't have escaped his notice that the signing of either would inevitably have put him down the pecking order further, so if anything was going to knock his confidence it would be the determined efforts by Cotts. sign high quality strikers.

His place has been taken by Kodjia, clearly a far superior player, and imo he won't regain a regular starting place unless Kodjia gets injured. Wilbs offers completely different muscular qualities in the way he leads the line, his experience and knowhow are invaluable to our young team, and it seems to me unlikely Agard would dislodge him from the side.

To me the signing of either Gayle or Gray would have signalled a likely exit for Agard this season, and it's pretty obvious SC is still very keen to make a similar signing which would leave KA very much on the periphery and contemplating his future.

He's not going to shut me up with one goal and his contributions last season mean nothing to me for this year. Am I grateful for last season? Of course. Do I think Wilbs is still useful? Yes. I don't think he should be a starter full time. He hasn't been scoring, he hasn't been holding up play very well and his poor touches combined with his slower movement have cost him. 

do you have the same sentiments about the manager?

Wilbs is 35 now, and he is fast approaching the age when his legs just can't do it anymore, if we are serious about drafting in a replacement, fantastic guy and a great addition to the club, but no room for sentiment, although I think Cotts will give him perhaps too much game time. Cotts certainly hold him in high regard, and trusts him, that was very evident with the PM question time, err you know what  mean.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Agard and Kodjia wouldn't work. Not saying you need a target man but a plan city use is a diagonal in to Wilbs and try and to get the wingbacks further up the pitch. JK isn't bad in the air but would be a waste trying to win flick ons when I'd rather have him chasing them. Agard definitely isn't going to win a flick on.

I don't think anyone can say you don't need someone who's not going to hold it up or compete in the air. So that means Wilbs has to play and SC isn't stupid I am sure he knows we need someone in the same mould to take over as such.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Agard and Kodjia wouldn't work. Not saying you need a target man but a plan city use is a diagonal in to Wilbs and try and to get the wingbacks further up the pitch. JK isn't bad in the air but would be a waste trying to win flick ons when I'd rather have him chasing them. Agard definitely isn't going to win a flick on.

I don't think anyone can say you don't need someone who's not going to hold it up or compete in the air. So that means Wilbs has to play and SC isn't stupid I am sure he knows we need someone in the same mould to take over as such.

I believe we don't need a "target man" for me I think Wilbs hold up play is poor and he is a bit of a carthorse, I said it last year too even with him scoring 20 goals.

In terms of the diags we hit, they can quite easily be won by JB who can knock them into Kodjia and Agard. I also think that it would make us play that diag (which success rate is 50/50) a little bit less and we would become more dynamic

Elliot got less than twenty minutes here and there for the latter half of last season.

That's true, I suppose I should have clarified by saying at this stage in the season which was my point. Surely barring injury and suspension you would want the player you made captain just a few weeks ago to be on the pitch? 

Sorry I take little interest in Gerrard and Neville to know how much they played and when but maybe my point still applies?  

And Nogbad, feel free to misquote me anytime, some weird things happening on here for sure!

That's true, I suppose I should have clarified by saying at this stage in the season which was my point. Surely barring injury and suspension you would want the player you made captain just a few weeks ago to be on the pitch? 

Sorry I take little interest in Gerrard and Neville to know how much they played and when but maybe my point still applies?  

And Nogbad, feel free to misquote me anytime, some weird things happening on here for sure!

I'm not convinced that it matters all that much. By all accounts Wilbraham is a top bloke around our (very young) team and I'm sure that he'd be professional enough to continue in that vein, even if no longer first choice. Keeping the club captain on the pitch isn't enough justification to keep better options out of the team (should our manager believe that his other options are better ones).

I didn't say he should be playing, but I didn't say he shouldn't be either. He is without doubt the oldest and most experienced player out there, and as you say a fantastic role model. Maybe there would have been an outcry if he hadn't been made captain, but I personally would have given it to Korey and made Wilbs vice captain. Two reasons, firstly I believe Korey will get more playing time and also I'm not a great believer in a Striker being captain. Oh and of course Korey has previously had this role with Oldham and us.

Pleased to see Wilbs score as well.But don't understand how what he did last year has any bearing on this year.New season and new division.I made the point I thought he was poor at Birmingham but still respect the bloke as he seems a top man and did a great job great for us last season.

own..

Archived