IGNORED

What constitutes a Bristol City legend

Bs4Red

Interesting conversation last night between my dad and his mate. Now I'm not old enough to discuss but I'm sure some of you can.

My dad was chatting about City legends and him and his mate agreed up until they were talking about Dariusz Dziekanowski. My dad says hands down a city legend, one of the best players he's ever seen and a luxury for city to have had someone like him.

His mate said hed never made enough appearances to be a legend. 

Any thoughts on this and any opinions on players you class as City legends?

Heard of a legend.

There was a dark defensive Lord called Osman.

No goals will be scored here proclaimed the dark defensive Lord.

A mysterious chap called Dziekanowski disagreed with the dark Lord and tried magic tricks with the ball.

"I'm not having that here, off you go" said the dark defensive Lord called Osman.

When the peasants learned off this they took to booing the the dark defensive Lord called Osman. and he was sent to a stinking rotten terrible place across the river ..

Appearances of course have something to do with it but I'm sure if you ask most Carlisle fans if they think Jimmy Glass is a legend I'm sure 100% will say yes.

I suppose there are legends and there are legendary moments and Glass would fall into the second category. Martyn Hirst wont be on any list of City Legends but I was there for his Eastville moment :clapping:

I think the word Legend gets bounded about too frequently...there are 'Legends' and then there are 'Fans favourites'.

John Atyeo was a Legend for Bristol City.... as an example, Gerry Gow a fans favourite.

A legend...  ''a symbolic representation of folk belief and collective experiences, and serving as a reaffirmation of commonly held values of the group to whose tradition it belongs."

a collection of stories about an admirable person.

I think John Atyeo is probably the only Legend we have had at Bristol City....as he holds value and respect to everyone that follows City.

I think a Legend must be a person who has imposed themselves on the culture of the club and connected with the fans . Someone to  whom the club represented the most important part of their career.

It's very subjective , in my time, 

Legend. 

Gerry Gow 

Tom Ritchie

Geoff Merrick 

Scott Murray

Terry Cooper

Paul Cheeseley

Louis Carey 

Alan Dicks

For example no one talks of the following as " Bristol City Legend ..."'

Bob Taylor

Norman Hunter

John Galley...

even though they merit a mention.

list non exhaustive , 

apologies to any legends i may have forgotten. I thank you all.

I think the word Legend gets bounded about too frequently...there are 'Legends' and then there are 'Fans favourites'.

John Atyeo was a Legend for Bristol City.... as an example, Gerry Gow a fans favourite.

A legend...  ''a symbolic representation of folk belief and collective experiences, and serving as a reaffirmation of commonly held values of the group to whose tradition it belongs."

a collection of stories about an admirable person.

I think John Atyeo is probably the only Legend we have had at Bristol City....as he holds value and respect to everyone that follows City.

Probably before most peoples time but I reckon Billy Wedlock can be classed as a City Legend as well

Along with the four letter word probably the most over used and over rated word in use. 

Spudski amd Aizoon got it about right and of course the Oxford English Dictionary:-

legend noun : a very old story or set of stories from ancient times, or the stories, not always true, that people tell about a famous event or person.

I suppose there are legends and there are legendary moments and Glass would fall into the second category. Martyn Hirst wont be on any list of City Legends but I was there for his Eastville moment :clapping:

I'd put Christian Roberts in the legendary moments category twice for his exploits re Mansfield and Hartlepool.

Real legends have obviously got a shelf life - no one has mentioned Billy Wedlock yet, who surely must be City's best ever player, with no disrespect to Big John. Difficult to nominate anyone from the last 30 years, IMO. Plenty of great moments though...

I am sure everyone has a differing view on this, but for me, I think there needs to be some element of longevity in a player's career to carry over from cult hero to club legend.

Jacki is certainly in the former category, in recent years, players like Tinnion (playing career only), Murray and Carey spring to mind for the latter.

We have the Wedlock and Atyeo stands....I can't think of one other player that has played for us, that would deserve a stand or statue named or built in their honour.

A player has to epitomise and represent everything that is good and honourable about a club, and done with distinction and merit....not just honoured by those followers of a club, but respected by others as well. It's not just about appearances either. Without wishing to put a slight on the man, I'd never include Carey as a Legend or Murray.

As club legends go we also have the Dolman Stand, and, though some may disagree, I can see no reason why we shouldn't at some time have a Lansdown stand.

He has done a tremendous amount for the club. Even though a lot of it hasn't brought the success he would have hoped for, he never seems to lose his enthusiasm to take the club forward.

Along with the four letter word probably the most over used and over rated word in use. 

Spudski amd Aizoon got it about right and of course the Oxford English Dictionary:-

legend noun : a very old story or set of stories from ancient times, or the stories, not always true, that people tell about a famous event or person.

Atyeo didn't exist? :sad26:

I think a Legend must be a person who has imposed themselves on the culture of the club and connected with the fans . Someone to  whom the club represented the most important part of their career.

It's very subjective , in my time, 

Legend. 

BigTone

BigTone

BigTone

BigTone

BigTone

BigTone

BigTone

BigTone

For example no one talks of the following as " Bristol City Legend ..."'

Bob Taylor

Norman Hunter

John Galley...

even though they merit a mention.

list non exhaustive , 

apologies to any legends i may have forgotten. I thank you all.

Agreed and no need to apologise

To be a legend, the person must do something legendary.  This could be sustained performance over a period of time - e g John Atyeo; or a one off action - e g Brian Tinion scoring at Anfield. Of course, some players are legendary for all the wrong reasons - e g Nicky Hunt. 

One of my favourite away days ever,the Muller rd end went absolutely mental.

Archived