IGNORED

We need to stay together and be positive

rockinrobin

3-5-2 did awful for Watford last year didn't it?

its not the formation, it's down to getting the balance in mentality

It has to be the formation if we are getting dicked every week. These players know the formation like the back of their hands, unfortunately we dont have Watfords better players to play it in this league. Championship players have a bit more upstairs and will exploit weaknesses. We'll need to change the formation so that we do become a lot harder to beat.

Sorry to disappoint you but I am entitled to my opinion. I cannot see where I have insulted anyone all I was quoting  was for people to remember where we were 2 seasons ago at Christmas.

Yes I do think some are happy to moan if we do not get the results we all want, and yes some people are to quick to jump on the players and Managers back which is not best for the Club. Negativity will and can only lead to one thing, relegation.

or maybe our chairman can act decisively and bring in someone who can attract players, and can be successful in the championship?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPGSqpcT88LDM1wrnfVVu

Who's fault is it this week?......

Ref

Linesperson

Fans leaving early

Length of journey to ground

Two games in a week

We were just unlucky

It's just one of those days

The state of the pitch

The opposition fans

The weather

The ball boy

Their number (insert random number)

It certainly wasn't mine!

I'm not one for slamming the team unnecessarily, but today was as bad as a performance that I've seen in a long time. We were not unlucky, we were poor, very poor almost to a man (there were a few exceptions) we were off our game. 

I think we should say what we see/feel. Share the bad times aswell as the good to get some balance. Why do people get slammed for being negative but people somehow build players up into some sort of worldbeaters that they clearly aren't. The truth is somewhere in between.

But that was today, next week might (hopefully) be different, but isn't this why we love the game. The highs and the lows and the way it physically and emotionally drains and excites you. 

3-5-2 did awful for Watford last year didn't it?

its not the formation, it's down to getting the balance in mentality

If you have the best players you can play it as we did last year when we had the best squad in L1. Now we are in championship we don't have the players capable of doing it in this league. Last year Watford spent loads of money and no doubt paid championship wages therefore they had a team that could play it, we have a good L1 team playing in the championship.

or maybe our chairman can act decisively and bring in someone who can attract players, and can be successful in the championship?

So now you want Cotts sacked.

Incredible

OK lets start all the uncertainty in the club by de-stabling it with every post and by November we might have a NEW SAVIOR 

Count me in NOT.

Sounds like I'm on your case 169

but more importance than mentality - you need the tactical acumen and quality of players to do it at this level

Watford were the only side to play 3-5-2 with any regularity and had a squad somewhat different to ours

I think our players have the quality to do it at this level, as I said earlier I haven't been able to attend yet this season but from reports from several different sources, today was the first time where we have been far worse than the other team. 

The key thing with the 3-5-2 is making it into 5-3-2 when we are on the back foot and we appear to be struggling at doing that, with the exception of Middlesbrough and look how that ended. 

Il be at Ashton Gate against MK Dons, and possibly against notts forest before then, so will hold back from much more analysis on the formation until I physically see it. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPGSqpcT88LDM1wrnfVVu

Who's fault is it this week?......

Ref

Linesperson

Fans leaving early

Length of journey to ground

Two games in a week

We were just unlucky

It's just one of those days

The state of the pitch

The opposition fans

The weather

The ball boy

Their number (insert random number)

It certainly wasn't mine!

seeing as cotterill said today we weren't good enough, maybe you will stop spouting crap, I won't hold my breath though 

If you have the best players you can play it as we did last year when we had the best squad in L1. Now we are in championship we don't have the players capable of doing it in this league. Last year Watford spent loads of money and no doubt paid championship wages therefore they had a team that could play it, we have a good L1 team playing in the championship.

last year we didn't have to worry about the defensive side of things so much, we were able to play a quick attacking 3-5-2 without needing to focus so much on defense, we have shown this season already that when we have the squad playing the 3-5-2 and defending as we know they can, that we can beat one of the best teams in the league in Middlesbrough. Sort out the defensive side of things and we will be ok with the same formation

I'm only 20 but followed city all my life, I watch city to see us play, if we play Man Utd, Chelsea, arsenal etc great. If we play Rochdale, fleetwood, accrington or Telford then not so great, but time and money permitting I will be there

Fair play mate but I've followed City everywhere for over 40 years (and over 80 away grounds) and it's so bl**dy hard to keep optimistic. Whenever we look like we are on the verge of something big we muck it up.

I was as optimistic and staunch as you when I was your age. If you went another 25 odd years with no real progress or success how would you feel?

A tad jaded and jarred off? I think so.

So comments like 'bye then' to committed longstanding fans aren't appreciated chief....

I'm not one for slamming the team unnecessarily, but today was as bad as a performance that I've seen in a long time. We were not unlucky, we were poor, very poor almost to a man (there were a few exceptions) we were off our game. 

I think we should say what we see/feel. Share the bad times aswell as the good to get some balance. Why do people get slammed for being negative but people somehow build players up into some sort of worldbeaters that they clearly aren't. The truth is somewhere in between.

But that was today, next week might (hopefully) be different, but isn't this why we love the game. The highs and the lows and the way it physically and emotionally drains and excites you. 

Red, you seen the game today and I did not however you are right we were off our game today probably the first time this season but on Tuesday we were on it, that football, but what I am saying is that negativity has its place at the right time and I believe we need to show the club that we all believe together and until SL reacts I will believe in Cotts and the team.

Not the 3-5-2 then?

"we didn't have that zip we normally do" - Cotts. We were off the pace and put in a sub standard performance, simple as that. Formation is irrelevant if the performance isn't there

looks like I'm on your case now @BobBobSuper Bob!! (quote didn't work) :thumbsup:

a lot of the teams we have played are the better sides. Middlesbrough are second and were one of the favourites to go up. Burnley just relegated from the prem and again one of the pre season favourites. Sheffield Wednesday are going all out for promotion, as evidenced by words from their own promotion, he gave that as part of the reason of extortionate ticket prices, things haven't clicked for them yet, the same as with us. Brentford, playoffs last season so not going to be pushovers, had an unsettling summer, but I would expect them to be top half come the end of the season.

Reading, Leeds and Brum some of the easiest of our games so far on paper, and of those all are top end of mid table sides.

Preston the easiest we have faced on paper, and we controlled the game, a wonder strike from Kilkenny and dreadful finishing is the reason we didn't win, it happens to all teams.

Other 'easy' sides in the division you ask, Huddersfield, Rotherham, MK, and Bolton just to single out a few. But it has to be accepted that other teams will see us as an easier side too

Fair play mate but I've followed City everywhere for over 40 years (and over 80 away grounds) and it's so bl**dy hard to keep optimistic. Whenever we look like we are on the verge of something big we muck it up.

I was as optimistic and staunch as you when I was your age. If you went another 25 odd years with no real progress or success how would you feel?

A tad jaded and jarred off? I think so.

So comments like 'bye then' to committed longstanding fans aren't appreciated chief....

a comment of bye then to someone who was effectively saying don't be positive, yes I was rash with the comment, but a player with that mentality in the dressing room wouldn't be wanted, the fans are supposed to support the players, if we started "we are going down, say we are going down" next week do you think the players or manager would appreciate it at all? Fans are meant to support and lift the team, get behind them no matter what.

if we went another 25 years without success how would I feel? No different, disappointed it hasn't come, but I don't expect it to. We are not, and never have sustained success in our entire history. If I wanted to support a team that was successful every season then I would change from Man city to Chelsea every few years. On the other hand, if we did get success in the next 25 years and became established in the prem for example (relatively that would be very successful) I would be ecstatic and enjoy every second of it. 

Red, you seen the game today and I did not however you are right we were off our game today probably the first time this season but on Tuesday we were on it, that football, but what I am saying is that negativity has its place at the right time and I believe we need to show the club that we all believe together and until SL reacts I will believe in Cotts and the team.

I certainly wouldn't be looking for a change in manager right now. I believe the club has the backing of the fans who to a man today were more than patient, no boos were heard and very little negativity.

Cotterill said on the radio on Tuesday how proud he was of them on Tuesday, I didn't hear his comments today but in private I hope they can have a real clear the air,frank exchange from all because they wouldn't have even made their Mother's proud today. 

I'm not saying to completely slam them, but they got to realise what's expected and acceptable and what falls below the high standards they set themselves. After all the kick up the backside didn't do Williams any harm as he has been better since being benched.

I think our players have the quality to do it at this level, as I said earlier I haven't been able to attend yet this season but from reports from several different sources, today was the first time where we have been far worse than the other team. 

The key thing with the 3-5-2 is making it into 5-3-2 when we are on the back foot and we appear to be struggling at doing that, with the exception of Middlesbrough and look how that ended.

Il be at Ashton Gate against MK Dons, and possibly against notts forest before then, so will hold back from much more analysis on the formation until I physically see it.

The problem at this level though is the pace of opposition forwards. Our 2 wide centre backs (Ayling and Williams) are not quick enough and one pass through is enough  to see the opposition running in behind us. In my opinion we do not have the personnel to play 3-5-2 at this level.

The problem at this level though is the pace of opposition forwards. Our 2 wide centre backs (Ayling and Williams) are not quick enough and one pass through is enough  to see the opposition running in behind us. In my opinion we do not have the personnel to play 3-5-2 at this level.

I disagree that they arent quick enough there are quick forwards at every level of the game, we used them last season because they are fast, we see this pace when they go on runs forward, and the back 3 is based upon having 2 quick CB's along side the slower one who's game is more about his aerial ability, reading of the game and anticipation. The difference is that  teams are more likely to punish us this year,in order to play the same way we can't afford for both of the wide centre backs and wing backs to all go forward at the same time, better balance is needed. If bryan goes forward then williams and the RWB need to stay back, possibly the right centre back as well. then the opposite when the RWB goes forward. Finding the right balance is the only thing we need to do. Last year we could be as gung-ho as we wanted, this year we can still play an attacking style with 3-5-2 but we need to make sure defensive duties are understood by all and followed through with. 

We mustn't forget but Reading are one of the best teams in the league so it was never going to be easy. That still doesn't explain why we appeared to be intimidated by them and no one seemed to want the ball

the neivity on this forum is second to none..

almost embarrassing, give him time, all will be fine, give him two years, we can't sack him etc etc..

seriously... He needs more time I agree but people think he's earnt the entire year??? How? And why?

we need to stay in this ******* league at all costs and all this pussy footing around is going to get us absolutely know where..

If we go back to league one the results will be catastrophic..

Cotts is now a city legend in my mind and up with GJ for his exploits last year but that doesn't  give him the right to keep the job what ever the cost.

we deserve success in this city and need to do what ever it takes...

I disagree that they arent quick enough there are quick forwards at every level of the game, we used them last season because they are fast, we see this pace when they go on runs forward, and the back 3 is based upon having 2 quick CB's along side the slower one who's game is more about his aerial ability, reading of the game and anticipation. The difference is that  teams are more likely to punish us this year,in order to play the same way we can't afford for both of the wide centre backs and wing backs to all go forward at the same time, better balance is needed. If bryan goes forward then williams and the RWB need to stay back, possibly the right centre back as well. then the opposite when the RWB goes forward. Finding the right balance is the only thing we need to do. Last year we could be as gung-ho as we wanted, this year we can still play an attacking style with 3-5-2 but we need to make sure defensive duties are understood by all and followed through with. 

The thing that has really surprised me this season is that if anything Flinty seems to be the quickest across the ground, of our back 3, and has stopped us conceding on numerous occasions already. I don't think you could call Luke Ayling quick by any stretch of the imagination although he does have other qualities. We will have to agree to disagree on this one, having watched 6 of the 8 league games so far this season I can't see this formation working. If Cott's sticks with it and proves me wrong fair play to him, he after all knows far more than I ever will. 

The thing that has really surprised me this season is that if anything Flinty seems to be the quickest across the ground, of our back 3, and has stopped us conceding on numerous occasions already. I don't think you could call Luke Ayling quick by any stretch of the imagination although he does have other qualities. We will have to agree to disagree on this one, having watched 6 of the 8 league games so far this season I can't see this formation working. If Cott's sticks with it and proves me wrong fair play to him, he after all knows far more than I ever will. 

I agree that we will have to agree on disagreeing here. As mentioned earlier I haven't had the opportunity to see us yet this season, but hopefully will be getting to 3 in the next month or so. As you say Cotts does know more than any of us on here, and I'm willing to bet that the majority of the things that fans appear concerned about are things that he will have spotted as well, he would be lacking as a manager if he wasn't aware of them at the least. I personally don't think we need to change formation, nor do I believe that we are in any trouble at the moment, it is early days still and a win or 2 chucks us towards mid-table.

Our Summer transfer business saw us start today's second half, with only one player who did not run on the pitch to celebrate on May 3rd.

I find it incredible that we have only been able to find one player who SC thinks can improve the team at price/wages we can also afford. I am not convinced that he thinks are loan signings are better than what we had.

So we are left in a position where 3 games in 8 days leads to a performance lacking energy, as unlike other clubs we cannot rotate our squad.

I will always cheer the team on, but am annoyed that a fantastic opportunity seems to have slipped through our fingers.

Archived