IGNORED

Marlon Pack

MC RISK77

Never mind Pack,  Wilbs was dreadful, cost us a goal where he couldn't even hold the ball up 

IMO Pack is a bit of a Marmite player,  but certainly not one of our worst today

he was ******* terrible though. Sideways passing all game then the pointless diagonal balls that get intercepted time after time.

I feel a bit bad for JK at times. He seems the one shining light and hope so far in this frustrating season up to now. It almost feels as if we are wasting him. 

This is my biggest fear. That we do enough to stay up but still lose players because we don't have the ambition. Surely signing a few higher paid players would have shown the squad our ambition. This is why the summer and early season is so frustrating. We are in danger of losing our best players because we didn't want to open up our wallets. I can't give you an example of one player but surely we could've picked up a center mid and striker with experience at this level on a free. They were out there. Didn't need 10 of them but we didn't get any. Now JK has no service. Think Bobby is a must because no one else is very forward thinking 

My biggest fear is that we don't stay up.

Let's worry about players thinking they are too good for us if we do, as it is by no means certain we will.

Felt for Korey today, he was battling on his own and getting overrun.

Got to agree, Pack was actually better than Freeman but neither were good enough today. Reid was better than both when he came on.

My view is Pack is a squad player at this level, not a starter but that doesn't mean I'm picking on him, the jury is also out on others such as Ayling, Williams,  Wilbraham and Little as well..

Korey Smith is a class act. He's played brilliantly when pushed forward previously and has an eye for goal but at the moment we need him in a more defensive midfield role.  If we had the defensive midfield cover though I'd like to see him given a forward midfield role and I think he'd pick JK's runs more than anyone else is at present.  We certainly miss the guile and vision of Wade Elliot or someone with similar attributes right now.

It's not saying anything new to say that Pack lacks pace. However, what he does is take the pace out of the whole game. Fine at League 1, but today the game was dying for swift ball. Not all his fault - needs runners ahead - but he and the team need to adapt.....

I lost count of how many times Pack missed the chance to thread Kodjia in, so it was his fault

none of the midfield were good, the space they left in front of the backline was awful

5-3-2 seems to do that though, in reality its more like a 3-2-3-2 at times with the wing backs going stupidly high up the field to offer us width

We play 352, there is a massive difference between 352 and 532. With 532 your wing backs are full backs and sit in. Ours are attacking therefore 352. Hence why we get broke all the time 

He certainly has been targeted. Some of our support just don't like/'get' players like him. There were far worse players than Marlon today.

he is definitely a marked man where I sit. Agreed there were worse players than Marlon today. Alying and freeman were truly awful today. Worst game I've seen them play. Unless the ball goes forward our supporters don't quite understand build up play. I thought we got over moaning about back passes or sideways passing, but today(not helped by scorelune) people were waiting to pounce. Very negative atmosphere in crowd today. I realise the team didn't help to improve this.

Pack: to me best of a very bad bunch (starters). Not one through ball to Kodjia even though he was making runs time and again..  Surely they must practice this?

Freeman: Heavily marked but simply not good enough on yesterday's showing. Needs to play the ball early..  He's taking too long meaning by the time he plays the ball our players have all pushed up and are out of position. 

Smith: Poor game, tried to get things moving but was caught in possession or out of position too often

Reid: thought he was pick of the midfield..  Nice and mobile. Always looking to play early ball forward. Very good at dead ball.. He looks far likely of any of the to unlock defences.

Pack's not a bad player but unfortunately he's nowhere near the player Elliott was in terms of vision, movement and passing ability. Failing to properly replace Elliott has been our downfall this season.

we also miss a captain on the pitch. Nolan may be a good shout at this time to help galvanise the team. He would also put some bite in the tackling dept., my biggest moan regards MP. Would give Freeman more of a chance to play further forward, where he would have more space

A better balance all round. I can't see us replacing MP with Reid away, too lightweight will not win anything in the air. 

I noticed on several occasions yesterday that rather than offer the back three some protection by picking up a marker when reading had the ball in our half, he looked to occupy space to block out the pass. Personally, I prefer to see our deeper sitting players getting tight onto their runners straight away, given our defensive fragility, rather than attempting to anticipate the pass. 

Ive never been his greatest admirer and I think he has to improve to justify his name on the team sheet. 

All I would say is looking at some of the goals we concede Pack doesn't always cover himself in glory and yesterday his powder puff attempt at a tackle in the early build up to Readings first was a classic example IMO.

Can you honestly say that he was any worse than the rest of the team ? As for the long diagonal passes , Flint does exactly the same , so I guess it must be what the manager instructs , I agree he was poor yesterday but so was the whole team . One goal was Franks fault , a real shocker , the first came from Wilbrahams inability to hold the ball up , so its so unfair to pick Pack out , the fact he made a lot of mistakes at least shows he was wanting the ball at all times and he never let his head drop . To see someone saying Cotts had a real go at him on the bench is wrong  of the manager , perhaps he needs to look at the mistakes he has been making in team selections and formations , Im a big fan of the manager , but is he showing an arrogant side to him thinking he knows best . Its quite plain in this division that he doesn't .  

Can you honestly say that he was any worse than the rest of the team ? As for the long diagonal passes , Flint does exactly the same , so I guess it must be what the manager instructs , I agree he was poor yesterday but so was the whole team . One goal was Franks fault , a real shocker , the first came from Wilbrahams inability to hold the ball up , so its so unfair to pick Pack out , the fact he made a lot of mistakes at least shows he was wanting the ball at all times and he never let his head drop . To see someone saying Cotts had a real go at him on the bench is wrong  of the manager , perhaps he needs to look at the mistakes he has been making in team selections and formations , Im a big fan of the manager , but is he showing an arrogant side to him thinking he knows best . Its quite plain in this division that he doesn't .  

I am talking solely about the 1st goal and nothing else, the problem is as pro managers say most people analyse the goal in isolation and pick up on a defensive mistake or goalkeeping error, sometimes a missed tackle, a sloppy pass or not picking up runners at the breakdown of your own attacking situation is the catalyst for conceding a goal and believe this is a case in point.

I agree about Fielding and the 2nd goal, I believe he should have done better, but this is a thread about Pack.

I am talking solely about the 1st goal and nothing else, the problem is as pro managers say most people analyse the goal in isolation and pick up on a defensive mistake or goalkeeping error, sometimes a missed tackle, a sloppy pass or not picking up runners at the breakdown of your own attacking situation is the catalyst for conceding a goal and believe this is a case in point.

I agree about Fielding and the 2nd goal, I believe he should have done better, but this is a thread about Pack.

How was the second goal down to Fielding? He had no chance, the shot was so accurate it struck the inside of the post before going in

Pack was beyond dreadful yesterday.

Offers zero protection for the defense. 

Offers zero creativity. 

Cross field balls, which 30% are accurate is NOT creativity. Fed up of people saying he is alright when all he does is play safe 10 yard passes.

fed up? Get over yourself, it's your opinion. Personally I see what Pack offers. I don't think he's a bad player and is the only player that offers a pass out for the defenders. Like Skuse, our fan base is incapable of realising how much a player like this brings to our team. 

fed up? Get over yourself, it's your opinion. Personally I see what Pack offers. I don't think he's a bad player and is the only player that offers a pass out for the defenders. Like Skuse, our fan base is incapable of realises how much a player like this brings to our team. 

Couldn't agree with you more!

The whole midfield were shite yesterday. They failed to protect the defense a few passes and we were split open time after time. They were also shocking supporting the strikers we looked clueless going forward and made hard work of attacking only getting our first shot on target well into the second half.

My problem with Pack not just yesterday but every game so far this season is he slows down play so much. Every team we've played with a few quick passes split us open and counter us so easy. Yet when Packs on the ball it's painfully slow watching him move the ball and so easy to defend against. I honestly don't think he's cut out for the championship but hope I'm wrong.

How was the second goal down to Fielding? He had no chance, the shot was so accurate it struck the inside of the post before going in

Didn't say that, said I think he could have done better, he looks to me to be diving late for it, in fact the ball is past him before he gets to the position to save it, but perhaps for the benefit of the doubt he was unsighted and saw it late.

Archived