IGNORED

U21s VS Forest

Bs4Red

I thought it was quite a good game, played at a fast pace lots of good passing. As soon as we lost the ball we really wanted it back, so did Forest which made it quite entertaining. We looked hardworking and strong which was nice to see. I thought it was the Wes and Bobby show, both eclipsed the other first teamers we had on show, Agard, Little and Robinson. I didn't have a team sheet but was impressed with our number 5 which was Jack Batten.

Cotterill was watching from a few rows behind me. 

I thought it was quite a good game, played at a fast pace lots of good passing. As soon as we lost the ball we really wanted it back, so did Forest which made it quite entertaining. We looked hardworking and strong which was nice to see. I thought it was the Wes and Bobby show, both eclipsed the other first teamers we had on show, Agard, Little and Robinson. I didn't have a team sheet but was impressed with our number 5 which was Jack Batten.

Cotterill was watching from a few rows behind me. 

Were you as stunned as everyone else around me, at the poor positioning of keeper and wall, for the free kick that led to Forests goal? I've never seen such a gap left by a keeper before.

Seemed a popular game to attend......Noticed a lot of Scouts, managers and Club reps at the game

Were you as stunned as everyone else around me, at the poor positioning of keeper and wall, for the free kick that led to Forests goal? I've never seen such a gap left by a keeper before.

Seemed a popular game to attend......Noticed a lot of Scouts, managers and Club reps at the game

Am I right in saying Bobby played in the deeper 2 midfielders (like Pack\Smith)? If so, how did he do? I always thought he'd be too lightweight for that role in senior football.

Am I right in saying Bobby played in the deeper 2 midfielders (like Pack\Smith)? If so, how did he do? I always thought he'd be too lightweight for that role in senior football.

Reid and Morrell both played deeper last night, in principle....but tbh...it was hardly noticeable....we played very high.  I was surprised how offensive we were.

We would have been murdered by a better side...there were gaps all over the place....especially behind the wing backs and in front of the back 3.

it was a bit odd yes. Not sure what we were trying or were just sloppy. Our heads didn't drop though which I feared would happen. Yes there were a lot of representatives watching. Nice to have the game moved to the evening, strange for the players to have a small almost non vocal crowd though. It must be very different for them when they do break into a first team game infront of a big crowd, I kind of forget that.

BWas there tonight, Reid ran the show. Burns looked bright in first halfhalf, faded a bit in second. Little looks off pace still. Good win all in all however with nice football on show

In reply to " wont they be tired " 

No chance of that they'll be staying in a top hotel, with massages , spa and food prepared by nutritrional experts.

They will be monitored and trained by top professionals and sports scientist s. 

Just like last week :blink:

Reid and Morrell both played deeper last night, in principle....but tbh...it was hardly noticeable....we played very high.  I was surprised how offensive we were.

We would have been murdered by a better side...there were gaps all over the place....especially behind the wing backs and in front of the back 3.

Interesting, I've always thought there must be a reason why we've kept Reid on. Most youngsters, rightly or wrongly, would be got' rid of by 21 if they weren't around the first team.

it was a bit odd yes. Not sure what we were trying or were just sloppy. Our heads didn't drop though which I feared would happen. Yes there were a lot of representatives watching. Nice to have the game moved to the evening, strange for the players to have a small almost non vocal crowd though. It must be very different for them when they do break into a first team game infront of a big crowd, I kind of forget that.

Indeed....although, when so few are their, it's nice to be able to hear the shouts and conversations by players....or lack of in many cases. Little, Burns and Agard could all do better at communication imho....Little for example had a far better chance of scoring a header, but failed to let Burns know that it was his....Burns headed over as he was off balance and unaware Little was 'incoming'. Was a guaranteed goal.

One thing that took me by surprise was the amount of talking to the players done by the linesman. On one occasion Little was charging down the wing being followed by defender and linesman....lino was all the time telling the defender not to lunge in....when he didn't and ball was played he got a 'well done, good lad'....hadn't realised they had taken on the Rugby idea of telling players what not to do.

Worth noting that Lloyd Kelly looks a very good prospect based on last nights performance - forgot to mention it in my post last night. Good delivery on crosses, strong shielding the ball and looked composed bringing the ball out from the back. Not conclusive based on just the one game last night, but of all the academy regulars, he looked the best

Interesting, I've always thought there must be a reason why we've kept Reid on. Most youngsters, rightly or wrongly, would be got' rid of by 21 if they weren't around the first team.

On recent performances, I think he deserves a go in the first team. I'd drop Wilbs....play Kodjia on his own with Freeman and Reid behind him. Flank with Bryan and either Agard/Burns....keep Smith and Pack DM.

It crossed my mind with Korey probably unfit for Saturday, that Reid may take his place for that game.

i think Reid  and Burns are unlucky to have been around at a time when we were struggling in The Championship and each change of manager resulted in the new guy bringing in tried and trusted players rather than risking  blooding youngsters. That went well did n't it ?

Joe Bryan has done exceptionally well to breakthrough, in spite of not because of our development system.

I am pretty sure that Cotts is playing Reid and Burns reluctantly. Does anyone think they'd be playing if The transfer window had gone to plan ?

The other problem these lads have is that the academy was geared up for League 1 and it is only now that the latest bunch are benefiting from a higher performance level against better opposition.

Indeed....although, when so few are their, it's nice to be able to hear the shouts and conversations by players....or lack of in many cases. Little, Burns and Agard could all do better at communication imho....Little for example had a far better chance of scoring a header, but failed to let Burns know that it was his....Burns headed over as he was off balance and unaware Little was 'incoming'. Was a guaranteed goal.

One thing that took me by surprise was the amount of talking to the players done by the linesman. On one occasion Little was charging down the wing being followed by defender and linesman....lino was all the time telling the defender not to lunge in....when he didn't and ball was played he got a 'well done, good lad'....hadn't realised they had taken on the Rugby idea of telling players what not to do.

in development football, referees are told not to wait for the offence but instead to stop the offence from happening. 

Worth noting that Lloyd Kelly looks a very good prospect based on last nights performance - forgot to mention it in my post last night. Good delivery on crosses, strong shielding the ball and looked composed bringing the ball out from the back. Not conclusive based on just the one game last night, but of all the academy regulars, he looked the best

was very impressed with him v Brislington in pre-season.  Looks like a ready made replacement on left side of a three if he develops.  

He looks like he's got a future, whereas for some players you just know u21 football is going to be the limit.

SC made a few references to him on the Portugal tour so he must be well thought of.

was very impressed with him v Brislington in pre-season.  Looks like a ready made replacement on left side of a three if he develops.  

He looks like he's got a future, whereas for some players you just know u21 football is going to be the limit.

SC made a few references to him on the Portugal tour so he must be well thought of.

Lloyd Kelly and Ash Harper were used as leverage in preseason as a Message to the board .

Lloyd Kelly does look like a player tho if he keeps progressing .

Lloyd Kelly and Ash Harper were used as leverage in preseason as a Message to the board .

Lloyd Kelly does look like a player tho if he keeps progressing .

i think there was a message, and in that much i agree with you.

i just disagree that the message, in this particular instance, was for the board.

The message was IMO, to the U21's players in general, who SC thought, at the time, were just going through the motions and were too complacent.

Archived