IGNORED

MK Dons next Saturday......

Slippin cider

Certainly important we start picking up some good home points quickly.

Would be wrong however even after six straight defeats to say this will be a push over however. I know a fair few MK fans who are shaking their heads wondering how they have not won their last two at home at a canter. Amassed 53 shots in those two games, hit the woodwork five times, and then get undone by a bit of quality down the other end. Sound familiar?

Frankly no score in this game would surprise me. We seem to have a good record against them, equally of ex players scoring against them, so get your money on Wilbs. Mind you, hopefully Maynard does not repay us. 

Would be wrong however even after six straight defeats to say this will be a push over however. I know a fair few MK fans who are shaking their heads wondering how they have not won their last two at home at a canter. Amassed 53 shots in those two games, hit the woodwork five times, and then get undone by a bit of quality down the other end. Sound familiar?

Frankly no score in this game would surprise me. We seem to have a good record against them, equally of ex players scoring against them, so get your money on Wilbs. Mind you, hopefully Maynard does not repay us. 

Oooh, forgot Maynard was there now, the dirty phallus.

Too many points left for a must win but we simply must start winning now anyhow. If we don't start winning soon then when we do we will be just treading water and need a big run just to get a small bit of breathing space over bottom three. Get some wins quickly now and the table will look very different very quickly. 

I don't even want to think about how some of fans will react if we lose

And this, for me, is why it actually is a must win game.  There's already been threads on here, not calling for Cotts head, but certainly raising the question of when we should start to consider replacing him.  A defeat on Saturday could see ruptures start to form in the fan base and that certainly is not what we need.  

City fans (maybe just football fans in general I guess) are not the most patient.  We need a win at home to seal and rift before it really appears, and to build a little bit on the confidence gained from Saturdays result.  

Fans get on the players' back and confidence could start to ebb away.  We don't need that.

Yes we have to win it, won't get an easier game on paper all season. All these saying we have over 100+ points to play for need to realise that based on the season thus far, we'll do well to get 40+ points from the remaining games, so yes we need to start winning ASAP and this game is more of a must not lose than a must win but the 3 points will be vital, otherwise we could be 5 points behind 21st and then having to play Forest, Brighton and Cardiff of which we'll do extremely well to get 2-3 points. The gap will only get bigger, so 3 points on Saturday will help us come may

Yes we have to win it, won't get an easier game on paper all season. All these saying we have over 100+ points to play for need to realise that based on the season thus far, we'll do well to get 40+ points from the remaining games, so yes we need to start winning ASAP and this game is more of a must not lose than a must win but the 3 points will be vital, otherwise we could be 5 points behind 21st and then having to play Forest, Brighton and Cardiff of which we'll do extremely well to get 2-3 points. The gap will only get bigger, so 3 points on Saturday will help us come may

By definition it's not a "must not lose" either.

I watched the highlights and thought the same this will not be an easy game. 

Might not be a 'must win' in a technical sense, but I'm not sure we've had a game as important as this one yet this season; lose and we could be as many as four points from safety with the worst goal difference in the division after ten games, with our next three games against three top ten sides, two of which are away.

Of course there is still time and the points available to pull clear, but let's not kid ourselves that the MK game could really define our direction in this first half of the season.

A win could pull us into the midst of a pack of teams in indifferent form (the first of whom have already blinked and fired their manager in the shape of Brentford); a loss marks us out as likely relegation strugglers, or even worse put us adrift.

All I hope is that the squad is a little less nonchalant than some fans on here; they have pissed away the ability to not look on every game going forward as crucial, primarily due to our poor defensive record, so I hope SC is drilling into their heads how key this next match is.

And this, for me, is why it actually is a must win game.  There's already been threads on here, not calling for Cotts head, but certainly raising the question of when we should start to consider replacing him.  A defeat on Saturday could see ruptures start to form in the fan base and that certainly is not what we need.  

City fans (maybe just football fans in general I guess) are not the most patient.  We need a win at home to seal and rift before it really appears, and to build a little bit on the confidence gained from Saturdays result.  

Fans get on the players' back and confidence could start to ebb away.  We don't need that.

There have always been 'ruptures in the fanbase', the ill informed and unsavoury reception Cotts. received from some on here showed that many didn't want him at BCFC in the first place and some will never alter that view despite being proved so spectacularly wrong.

This is their first real chance to stick the knife in and a few are eagerly sharpening their blades.

Then of course any club at the bottom of the league will  have a portion of panic stricken fans who see a change of manager as the panacea for all ills. That's not confined to City, it's the way at all clubs

Thankfully the vast majority are in neither camp and can see our best chance of stabilising in this league lies in keeping faith with a manager who has just given us our first title in 60 years.

It can never be plain sailing all the time, every single club has it's blips. If you're convinced your club has the right manager in place you see the bigger picture and support him through these inevitable downturns, and I've no doubt that's exactly what most fair minded City fans intend to do.

There have always been 'ruptures in the fanbase', the ill informed and unsavoury reception Cotts. received from some on here showed that many didn't want him at BCFC in the first place and some will never alter that view despite being proved so spectacularly wrong.

This is their first real chance to stick the knife in and a few are eagerly sharpening their blades.

Then of course any club at the bottom of the league will  have a portion of panic stricken fans who see a change of manager as the panacea for all ills. That's not confined to City, it's the way at all clubs

Thankfully the vast majority are in neither camp and can see our best chance of stabilising in this league lies in keeping faith with a manager who has just given us our first title in 60 years.

It can never be plain sailing all the time, every single club has it's blips. If you're convinced your club has the right manager in place you see the bigger picture and support him through these inevitable downturns, and I've no doubt that's exactly what most fair minded City fans intend to do.

I'm afraid in modern football you just can't afford to give managers time these days.  Usually when a manager is running out of ideas or has lost the dressing room it is quite obvious and IMO it is better if they make a quick exit.

Not saying we are anywhere near reaching that point with Cotterill, but nothing lasts forever and at some point that time will come.

Some say we took too long to sack GJ, Sod and DM. It seems harsh but it did seem they had all reached the point where things were never going to get better. I don't think there is anything wrong with fans sharpening their blades in these cases, it prevents the club from being complacent!

I'm afraid in modern football you just can't afford to give managers time these days.  Usually when a manager is running out of ideas or has lost the dressing room it is quite obvious and IMO it is better if they make a quick exit.

Not saying we are anywhere near reaching that point with Cotterill, but nothing lasts forever and at some point that time will come.

Some say we took too long to sack GJ, Sod and DM. It seems harsh but it did seem they had all reached the point where things were never going to get better. I don't think there is anything wrong with fans sharpening their blades in these cases, it prevents the club from being complacent!

Well, that's a cliche which I disagree with. You can, and should hold fire to give the right man time.

GJ's time was probably up, but as for losing the dressing room many of us believed certain serial underperforming players should have been booted over the Williams Stand long before GJ was sent packing.

Del had stated he felt so let down by some players that they had played their last game under him and would be replaced by youngsters. In his case it would have been very interesting to see him stay and these players therefore publicly outed as troublemakers by their omission, and of course they wouldn't then have got a third chance, in some cases, under SO'D.

Sometimes there is little option but to change the manager because the fans have turned against him en masse and there seems no hope of things improving but that situation isn't even on the distant horizon with SC.

Most - board and fans alike - can see he's the best thing to happen to BCFC for years.

Most - board and fans alike - can see he's the best thing to happen to BCFC for years.

Take his largely embarrassing press conferences out of the equation and I agree with you.

In terms of the footballing side we will have a better idea of January/end of season if he is going to be the man to take us forward.  Football is a very fickle industry and if he loses momentum I think that SL won't hang around too long.  As others have alluded to, we can't afford to go backwards or even stagnate with the new stadium coming along etc.

Cotterill will forever be remembered as a City hero for that season in League One.  But as far as I'm concerned its ultimately a clean slate now and we need a manger capable of making us competitive in the Championship.  So far the signs are not the best.

Archived