IGNORED

MK Dons next Saturday......

Slippin cider

Take his largely embarrassing press conferences out of the equation and I agree with you.

In terms of the footballing side we will have a better idea of January/end of season if he is going to be the man to take us forward.  Football is a very fickle industry and if he loses momentum I think that SL won't hang around too long.  As others have alluded to, we can't afford to go backwards or even stagnate with the new stadium coming along etc.

Cotterill will forever be remembered as a City hero for that season in League One.  But as far as I'm concerned its ultimately a clean slate now and we need a manger capable of making us competitive in the Championship.  So far the signs are not the best.

I don't agree his press conferences are largely embarrassing; it's another myth, a cliche, another stick for those who don't like him to often unfairly beat him with. I usually find them fair, with an honest appraisal including giving praise to the opposition where due, and reasonably - in my view - pointing out the odd diabolical or over watered  pitch or other problems that drive fans mad like opposition players feigning numerous head injuries, and only once or twice have I found his post match comments to be out of sync with my own view of the game, or the view of the majority of fans.

All managers have to do far too many interviews these days, the sheer volume - plus often the poor quality of interviews and questions - dictates silly or annoying things will inevitably be said by all of them occasionally, but if you watch other managers' interviews there are very few good losers and they are often far more embarrassing for their clubs.

If you personally don't like the cut of Cotterill's jib so be it but it was his first in depth interview that convinced me from being undecided but willing to give him time to somebody fully behind him as the right fit for this club and nothing he's said since has changed my mind.

I strongly disagree we aren't being competitive btw., but of course we need the results and points total to start reflecting that.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a change of manager, such a short sighted backward step would cause a major schism between the board and the fans and it seems to me quite likely that unless we suffer an horrendous run of defeats Keith Dawe would have to go first anyway, so the club would be in disarray, once again, from top to bottom.

Whilst a 'must win' is obviously a silly expression as you can lose it and win the other 36 games but frankly failure to win Saturday - especially a defeat - with other teams around us winning could put us in a very bad position of being adrift ten games in, having just lost at home to some of our rivals.  That could be seriously damaging for confidence as much as anything else.

It's not a 'must win or we will be relegated' or a 'must win or the manager must be sacked' but, if we fail to win, we will need to face up to the fact we are in a relegation battle and there will need to be serious questions into whether it was wise to hold out for a £7/£8 million pound signing that never happened rather than spreading that money around adding depth to the squad.

Might not be a 'must win' in a technical sense, but I'm not sure we've had a game as important as this one yet this season; lose and we could be as many as four points from safety with the worst goal difference in the division after ten games, with our next three games against three top ten sides, two of which are away.

Of course there is still time and the points available to pull clear, but let's not kid ourselves that the MK game could really define our direction in this first half of the season.

A win could pull us into the midst of a pack of teams in indifferent form (the first of whom have already blinked and fired their manager in the shape of Brentford); a loss marks us out as likely relegation strugglers, or even worse put us adrift.

All I hope is that the squad is a little less nonchalant than some fans on here; they have pissed away the ability to not look on every game going forward as crucial, primarily due to our poor defensive record, so I hope SC is drilling into their heads how key this next match is.

Really good summary of the importance of this match and I agree with everything you say - I just really hate the misuse of the term "must win"!

I don't agree his press conferences are largely embarrassing; it's another myth, a cliche, another stick for those who don't like him to often unfairly beat him with. I usually find them fair, with an honest appraisal including giving praise to the opposition where due, and reasonably - in my view - pointing out the odd diabolical pitch or other problems that drive fans mad like opposition players feigning numerous head injuries, and only once or twice have I found his post match comments to be out of sync with my own view of the game, or the view of the majority of fans.

All managers have to do far too many interviews these days, the sheer volume - plus often the poor quality of interviews and questions - dictates silly or annoying things will inevitably be said by all of them occasionally, but if you watch other managers' interviews there are very few good losers and they are often far more embarrassing for their clubs.

If you personally don't like the cut of Cotterill's jib so be it but it was his first in depth interview that convinced me from being undecided but willing to give him time to somebody fully behind him as the right fit for this club and nothing he's said since has changed my mind.

I strongly disagree we aren't being competitive btw., but of course we need the results and points total to start reflecting that.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a change of manager, such a short sighted backward step would cause a major schism between the board and the fans and it seems to me quite likely Keith Dawe would have to go first anyway, so the club would be in disarray, once again, from top to bottom.

But whether or not you find his interviews inciteful (I don't), he does come across very rash and says things that could end up annoying other clubs and fans. Im sorry, but some of the excuses he has used for losing games are laughable. I have questioned whether he actually believes his excuses - I think its more likely that he makes stuff up to take pressure off the players. To be fair to him it doesn't help that I usually find the questions posed to him to be bland and predictable.

We need to start getting some results sharpish otherwise we are definitely not being competitive. We are bottom of the league and thats not good.

Well, that's a cliche which I disagree with. You can, and should hold fire to give the right man time.

GJ's time was probably up, but as for losing the dressing room many of us believed certain serial underperforming players should have been booted over the Williams Stand long before GJ was sent packing.

Del had stated he felt so let down by some players that they had played their last game under him and would be replaced by youngsters. In his case it would have been very interesting to see him stay and these players therefore publicly outed as troublemakers by their omission, and of course they wouldn't then have got a third chance, in some cases, under SO'D.

Sometimes there is little option but to change the manager because the fans have turned against him en masse and there seems no hope of things improving but that situation isn't even on the distant horizon with SC.

Most - board and fans alike - can see he's the best thing to happen to BCFC for years.

Not being funny Noggers....but how do you know the Board think he's the best thing for BCFC....that's not what I've heard. He's on borrowed time.

As for most fans? Really? I get the impression people are divided.

Do you really think the board will stick with him if we are still in the bottom three at the end of October?

Don't get me wrong...I'd love it if we started winning and climbing the league...and regardless of what other managers think about our performances and how we play, if we don't win, then players start to doubt themselves and the managers ideas.

Same thing happened to SoD....he had to go when it became a situation that looked irreversible.

If you keep not winning, regardless of playing well....then pressure mounts.

I wouldn't want to be the person to make the decision....as to be honest, this whole situation is imho, not solely down to the way we play, but our lack of proper recruitment over the summer. Whether that's SC's, Burts or the Boards fault...it will never be told fully to the public.

Certainly not a must win game for me, however the difference between winning and losing can have massive ramifications for the January transfer window.

If we carry on losing and are cut adrift in January, which quality players are likely to want an join us? Likewise, if we can get a few wins under our belts and get within a win or two of the play-offs, we suddenly become a lot more attractive.

Really good summary of the importance of this match and I agree with everything you say - I just really hate the misuse of the term "must win"!

I get that - think it is just football fan short hand for "very important".

Last time we fell out of this division we had 11 points after ten games, while the following season under SO'D we had six points, but a better goal difference than we do currently, so let's not kid ourselves - we have started terribly, in every meaningful way.  

Some of our performances might have been decent, but if we're losing playing well AND badly, then you have to strip it down to being about the numbers on the board.  The MK game is an opportunity to reverse that; they have stared near enough as badly as we have, and we can both compound that, and leapfrog at least them, with the break for international games also providing us a(nother) chance to regroup and head into the winter months with a bit of momentum.

So, I don't think it helps saying "must win!" but I also think dismissing it's crucial importance when we are doing so badly is folly.

Not being funny Noggers....but how do you know the Board think he's the best thing for BCFC....that's not what I've heard. He's on borrowed time.

Do you really think the board will stick with him if we are still in the bottom three at the end of October?

Don't get me wrong...I'd love it if we started winning and climbing the league...and regardless of what other managers think about our performances and how we play, if we don't win, then players start to doubt themselves and the managers ideas.

Same thing happened to SoD....he had to go when it became a situation that looked irreversible.

I wouldn't want to be the person to make the decision....as to be honest, this whole situation is imho, not solely down to the way we play, but our lack of proper recruitment over the summer. Whether that's SC's, Burts or the Boards fault...it will never be told fully to the public.

Spot on.  Even if lack of transfers was the boards fault, SC will be made scapegoat as they are never going to admit mistakes.  That's just the brutal nature of the job.t

What worries me is that SC already sounds like he is making excuses to buy time.

Yes, barring a run of 5 humiliating defeats in that time, I've no doubt they will.

He's on borrowed time?

Anyone can write something like that on a forum Spudski, but to a sane person - and I'd hope the board fall into that category - frankly it sounds laughable.

No comparison with SO'D, (however much you might be determined to start another debate in that direction) the football and results under him were awful,  his demeanour worse, the ground was emptying, and he was exceptionally unpopular.

My everyday experience is City fans generally - OK, maybe not you, Kid, Collis or a few others on here - are fully behind SC and want him at AG for a very long time and only a series of thrashings would begin to see that tide of goodwill turn.

Yes, barring a run of 5 humiliating defeats in that time, I've no doubt they will.

He's on borrowed time?

Anyone can write something like that on a forum Spudski, but to a sane person - and I'd hope the board fall into that category - frankly it sounds laughable.

No comparison with SO'D, (however much you might be determined to start another debate in that direction) the football and results under him were awful,  his demeanour worse, the ground was emptying, and he was exceptionally unpopular.

My everyday experience is City fans generally - OK, not you Kid or Collis or a few others on here - are fully behind SC and want him at AG for a very long time and only a series of thrashings would begin to see that tide of goodwill turn.

It might sound laughable to you...but I find, and many other are like me, the board at this club laughable. What have they really achieved in the time here....especially considering the money spent.

I have no intention to talk about SoD...last word about him here from my point of view...what's gone has gone.

As for 'everyday' fans....I don't count anyone on this forum aas n 'everyday' fan... I would consider most, at one end of the spectrum. The majority of 'fans' I know don't post or even read this forum.

You can't have sentiment for a manger just because he got us promoted.

If we are still in the relegation zone at then end of October I really can't believe you would think the board would stick with him...especially considering the Stadium being built. I really can't see SL letting us dwindle in the relegation zone and thinking we could get relegated again...it's not even conceivable....action would be taken imho....whether right or wrong.

As for my statement about 'borrowed time'...I don't write that based purely on my opinion.

If you think all is well as the Club, then that's your prerogative....but i'd beg to differ and it's been like that for quiet a while now. 'Toxic' is a word often bounded about.

The whole recruitment failure, Academy problems, Pelling going, Fredericks, Hamer, demeanour in media, stem from many frustrations. If you think it's rosy down their, then that's up to you to think that. I'll know differently.

I'll leave this ditty with you to mull over ;-)

11987122_10153035790456512_8630524532518998360_n.jpg

He's on borrowed time?

No comparison with SO'D, (however much you might be determined to start another debate in that direction) the football and results under him were awful,  his demeanour worse, the ground was emptying, and he was exceptionally unpopular.y

My everyday experience is City fans generally - OK, maybe not you, Kid, Collis or a few others on here - are fully behind SC and want him at AG for a very long time and only a series of thrashings would begin to see that tide of goodwill turn.

I am cautiously behind him.  I respect your opinion and loyalty but it borders to close to 'blind faith' for me.

The only thing I am fully behind is Bristol City Football club and I want whats best for it.

He's on borrowed time?

Thing is, you look at Steve Evans going from Rotherham today.  Horrible man, granted, but he's got two promotions, kept them up last season and won the last two games and still he's been giving the boot "by mutual consent", due to a combination of results and differences with the board.  Ditto, Mark Warburton got the push from Brentford last season with them doing well and Uwe Rosler got sacked from Wigan early last season despite getting them to the play-offs not long before.

You'd hope the board aren't so trigger happy and have learned from the days of our manager being replaced on a yearly basis BUT the reality is that any manager whose team are at the bottom end of the Championship is under pressure.  And, for better or worse, I suspect SC is quite an abrasive character who people will pull behind as long as he's getting the results but can quickly lose friends when results aren't going his way.  I certainly don't think getting rid of SC is a good idea, and I don't think most fans do at the moment either, but the reality of modern football is that, once you're in or around the relegation zone, two or months into the season, a manager's role is inevitably going to be in serious jeopardy.  As it is, SC is the 30th longest serving manager in England and there's only 8 in the Championship who've been in a job longer than he has.  Realistically this is a more and more quick-trigger profession and it's madness to think that a manager who is bottom of the table after ten games - especially for a team who weren't widely predicted to be in the bottom three - isn't going to be under a great deal of pressure. 

This could be an omen, did anyone else notice the moon last night? A sign from god that we will win the league! Or maybe a sign that we are all doomed to relegation. 

I think god is telling all bristolians they must support bristol city from now on. 

blood-moon.jpg

I'm afraid in modern football you just can't afford to give managers time these days.  Usually when a manager is running out of ideas or has lost the dressing room it is quite obvious and IMO it is better if they make a quick exit.

Not saying we are anywhere near reaching that point with Cotterill, but nothing lasts forever and at some point that time will come.

Some say we took too long to sack GJ, Sod and DM. It seems harsh but it did seem they had all reached the point where things were never going to get better. I don't think there is anything wrong with fans sharpening their blades in these cases, it prevents the club from being complacent!

Can't you.........Really? There are hundreds of examples of clubs sacking managers then 12 months later sacking another and then another and 3 years later they're in no better position than what they were. I see very little evidence to prove that constantly sacking managers at the first sign of things getting tough is the right thing to do yet for some reason fans keep calling for it and clubs keep doing it. 

I personally would like like to see a change in the trend. I'd like to see clubs stick with managers even when the going gets tough. That's why they employed them in the first place isn't it. I might question some of his decisions, disagree with some but I won't be calling for Cotts head. 

I think we underestimate MK Dons at our peril, if we play as gung ho as we have recently I think we will lose.

Anyone who saw their game against derby at the weekend will know that MK could have scored 5 or 6. 

I think there will be a lot of nerves and it could even be 0-0 like at their place last season.

Not must win in my opinion, but a defeat could be very damaging all round, and I would think the questions over cotts would raise tenfold if we do lose.

Archived