IGNORED

Time to change the penalty rule....

spudski

I think obstruction has been gradually phased out of the laws of the game hence why you never see an indirect free kick in the box any more. 

Im not advocating diving or playing for the penalty, but that's all part of the game now like it or not. The responsibility lies with the defender to have the guile about him to stay on his feet and maintain composure within the area, because you can guarantee that him or his team mate would not hesitate to go down if they felt a tackle coming, were the roles reversed.

Cheating is all part of the game because the authorities allow it and every 4 years we have a competition that celebrates it and brings together the best cheats on the planet in a tournament that is 'organised' by criminals and aided and abetted by gravy train pundits, who will never de-rail that gravy train.

How on earth is a referee meant to judge intent?  The fact is a foul is a foul: an attacking player could be accidentally tripped on the six yard line with the goal at his mercy - are you saying that that wouldn't be a penalty if the foul was not deliberate?  I don't think so.

The rules are what they are, and are clear.  Any foul or handball in the box results in a penalty.  What could be clearer than that?  The problem is not the rule, its the fact that these days football, sadly, seems to be an inherently dishonest sport, in that almost all players are prepared to cheat if it gives them an advantage.  I therefore agree that video technology should be used to weed out the cheats, rather than changing the rules.  A minimum automatic three-match ban for anyone found guilty of simulation in any form (including rolling over frantically clutching various part of their anatomy after coming within five yards of an opposing player) might sort it out. 

If you pull a players shirt or kick his legs from under him, without going for the ball....then you can see it's intentional.

If it's a trip in front of goal...as you say...in all likely hood of scoring....of course it's a penalty.

As for hand balls...not all hand balls in the area are given....they have to be intentional or stop an impending goal.

The reason players are dishonest, is because the rule is so easy to manipulate. The rule is at fault. More direct freekicks or indirect freekicks should be given for certain infringements...that way, players wouldn't be so inclined to be so dishonest.

If you pull a players shirt or kick his legs from under him, without going for the ball....then you can see it's intentional.

If it's a trip in front of goal...as you say...in all likely hood of scoring....of course it's a penalty.

As for hand balls...not all hand balls in the area are given....they have to be intentional or stop an impending goal.

The reason players are dishonest, is because the rule is so easy to manipulate. The rule is at fault. More direct freekicks or indirect freekicks should be given for certain infringements...that way, players wouldn't be so inclined to be so dishonest.

The thing is players will always be dishonest when there is so much money at stake....... £300k a week, win bonus, goal bonus etc all adds to it.

I don't care what anyone says but if its your team doing it... 'its ok' but another team and its an outrage!!

Who would honestly care if it was the last minute away to QPR and Big Jimmy took the biggest dive of all dives....... Penalty... Goal, Game Won, We stay up.... would people really care or would they just celebrate staying up?!

The thing is players will always be dishonest when there is so much money at stake....... £300k a week, win bonus, goal bonus etc all adds to it.

I don't care what anyone says but if its your team doing it... 'its ok' but another team and its an outrage!!

Who would honestly care if it was the last minute away to QPR and Big Jimmy took the biggest dive of all dives....... Penalty... Goal, Game Won, We stay up.... would people really care or would they just celebrate staying up?!

The point I was trying to make, is a player would stay on his feet and try to continue play or try to score, rather than go down, if penalties weren't so easy to get.

If you are on the edge of the 18 yard box running away from goal....and a player clips you...you are less likely to go down if an indirect free kick were given instead of a penalty. Can you see my point?

The point I was trying to make, is a player would stay on his feet and try to continue play or try to score, rather than go down, if penalties weren't so easy to get.

If you are on the edge of the 18 yard box running away from goal....and a player clips you...you are less likely to go down if an indirect free kick were given instead of a penalty. Can you see my point?

Yes I can see your point, and I agree with you.

But as things stand and with the price of winning at all costs element within the game things wont be changing anytime soon.

I would

Lets be honest and admit that we would just celebrate staying up. No one is going to admit to cheating so if the boot was on the other foot..etc. Now us against Coventry in the old Ist division when Jimmy Hill was around......Now that  was suspicious!!

Cheating is all part of the game because the authorities allow it and every 4 years we have a competition that celebrates it and brings together the best cheats on the planet in a tournament that is 'organised' by criminals and aided and abetted by gravy train pundits, who will never de-rail that gravy train.

:clap:

Crikey. Bad day at the office?

• Admin

Have you ever found  yourself saying `he should have gone down` when someone like Joe rides a couple of challenges but stays on his feet and the shot comes to nothing? If you can say you have then we`re all as bad as the players. I know I`ve said it many times.

I started the season proud that our players are pretty honest and don't go to ground easily. However, witnessing the games I have so far at this level it's clear our opponents are cheating. I now find myself unwillingly wishing our players didn't try to stay on their feet as I'd like a few more decisions from refs. 

It would help if refs were strong enough to still give a foul when the player has clearly tried staying on their feet.

How on earth is a referee meant to judge intent?  The fact is a foul is a foul: an attacking player could be accidentally tripped on the six yard line with the goal at his mercy - are you saying that that wouldn't be a penalty if the foul was not deliberate?  I don't think so.

The rules are what they are, and are clear.  Any foul or handball in the box results in a penalty.  What could be clearer than that?  The problem is not the rule, its the fact that these days football, sadly, seems to be an inherently dishonest sport, in that almost all players are prepared to cheat if it gives them an advantage.  I therefore agree that video technology should be used to weed out the cheats, rather than changing the rules.  A minimum automatic three-match ban for anyone found guilty of simulation in any form (including rolling over frantically clutching various part of their anatomy after coming within five yards of an opposing player) might sort it out. 

no wonder players cheat, the standard of refereeing is abysmal.

i watched the last part of the Chelsea game and how the ref, the assistant and the bloke by the goal missed such an obvious handball is beyond me.

Crikey. Bad day at the office?

Not at all, it's what I and many people believe to be true, football these days is overseen by criminals, has no morals whatsoever, driven by money, played by mainly pussies, cheats and egotists.

i'm sorry I find it very sad that a professional will deliberately by his cheating actions set out to either win a game or even more dispicable set out get a fellow professional sent off and hordes of the BSkyB/prawn sandwich generation who in general know very little about the game or the history of the game believe that it's ok.

and worse still it dishonours people like our own legend John Atyeo, who was hard but fair, never booked and most importantly a sportsman.

Whilst understanding your point, I can't see how this would ever work.

With the ability and speed of some players in todays game even being on the edge of the area with their back to goal, the slightest bit of space can be exploited for a goal scoring opportunity. Also it would lead to far more controversy with decisions as more emphasis will be on the refs interpretation of events than ever before.

Concentrated efforts should be on punishing those that cheat by diving etc. Remove that from the game and (Imo) there would be less players leaving trailing legs and playing for penalties anyway.

It's too late. Football is now a virtually contact free sport, which I suspect is a concession to broadcasters and sponsors who lobby for the attacker to get the benefit of doubt.

Pretty much every change I can think of since the 90s benefits the side going forward. Just look at the pressure from the media for goal line technology; the case is never made for stopping goals given incorrectly will be a benefit (although I'm struggling to think when that has happened).

So this raises another question in my mind: obviously broadcasters want more goals - goals are the most exciting thing about football right? But are they - IMO the effort a player puts in and their attitude is more enjoyable over a full 90 minutes.

IMO football used to be a lot more about mental strength - you were trying to score while getting lumps kicked out of you, imagine the passion you must have to go through that. I think this is all portrayed in goal celebration now where players simply look happy to score rather than ecstatic - they just don't have to go through the same grueling test and the game is less about heart and passion and more about athleticism and finesse. its certainly gained some stuff but lost a lot of what was loved.

A change isn't always better but for something to be better there must always be change.

Whilst understanding your point, I can't see how this would ever work.

With the ability and speed of some players in todays game even being on the edge of the area with their back to goal, the slightest bit of space can be exploited for a goal scoring opportunity. Also it would lead to far more controversy with decisions as more emphasis will be on the refs interpretation of events than ever before.

Concentrated efforts should be on punishing those that cheat by diving etc. Remove that from the game and (Imo) there would be less players leaving trailing legs and playing for penalties anyway.

The only way I could see it being more fair, is if more free kicks inside the box were given...a penalty is way too much reward for most indiscretions in the box imho.

Not at all, it's what I and many people believe to be true, football these days is overseen by criminals, has no morals whatsoever, driven by money, played by mainly pussies, cheats and egotists.

i'm sorry I find it very sad that a professional will deliberately by his cheating actions set out to either win a game or even more dispicable set out get a fellow professional sent off and hordes of the BSkyB/prawn sandwich generation who in general know very little about the game or the history of the game believe that it's ok.

and worse still it dishonours people like our own legend John Atyeo, who was hard but fair, never booked and most importantly a sportsman.

Not that I Disagree with anything in there, but what exactly attracts you to watching the modern game then?

Not that I Disagree with anything in there, but what exactly attracts you to watching the modern game then?

What a strange question and one i'd expect from somebody probably brought up purely on a diet of modern day football.

But here goes, do you really believe that a game that I have loved from a young kid growing up in 50's Bedminster walking distance from AG that i'm suddenly going to switch off because Murdoch decided to corrupt/ruin it in the nineties?, I am just far more discerning I go to live games and watch MOTD (usually about all I can take) and the odd live game on the laptop, my joy is that Murdoch and the pussy players aren't getting any richer from a sky subscription from me.

There is a correlation in the timeline of Murdoch - stupid money - Blatter - corruption - cheating and so on and so forth.

What a strange question and one i'd expect from somebody probably brought up purely on a diet of modern day football.

But here goes, do you really believe that a game that I have loved from a young kid growing up in 50's Bedminster walking distance from AG that i'm suddenly going to switch off because Murdoch decided to corrupt/ruin it in the nineties?, I am just far more discerning I go to live games and watch MOTD (usually about all I can take) and the odd live game on the laptop, my joy is that Murdoch and the pussy players aren't getting any richer from a sky subscription from me.

There is a correlation in the timeline of Murdoch - stupid money - Blatter - corruption - cheating and so on and so forth.

I don't know why you start the post with a dig at me, I believe my question is not at all weird regardless of what personal presumptions you want to make about me. 

At no point have i disagreed with your opinion, I just sought to understand your thinking a little better, since your posts came across very passionately against what modern football is. 

Archived