IGNORED

Weirdest goal

Major Isewater

what's the weirdest goal you've seen ?

For me it has to be Chris Garland's header against the Gas .

The ball was on the ground and he got down on all fours and headed over the line.

Who knows where the Gas defence were as it seemed to take an age for the execution.

And the Gas got an apology from the club and CG got a major bollicking! More gentlemanly times?

I recall a somewhat bizarre goal that I think Pennyfather scored for us in a relegation 6 pointer v Watford. It was 1-1 at the time and if I remember correctly a Watford player cleared the ball from his pen area and it hit the back of the retreating Pennyfather and looped over the defender and the goalkeeper and into the net for the winner.

I recall a somewhat bizarre goal that I think Pennyfather scored for us in a relegation 6 pointer v Watford. It was 1-1 at the time and if I remember correctly a Watford player cleared the ball from his pen area and it hit the back of the retreating Pennyfather and looped over the defender and the goalkeeper and into the net for the winner.

and David James was in goal if I remember it correctly

what's the weirdest goal you've seen ?

For me it has to be Chris Garland's header against the Gas .

The ball was on the ground and he got down on all fours and headed over the line.

Who knows where the Gas defence were as it seemed to take an age for the execution.

Whats even weirder is the fact we let the idiots score,6-1 wasn't it.

The one where the wind blew it back, I think Bob Taylor ran towards the keeper and outjumped him to head it in. Predictably the keeper tried to make out some spurious offence had been committed but the goal stood. Was it against Orient?

Also, David James punching it back over his head from the edge of the area with no-one within ten yards of him v Watford.

I vaguely recall (I use the word "vaguely" because a couple of beers had been consumed) Ray Atteveld scoring a peach of an own goal away at Millwall back in the early 90s.  If only he'd done the same at the right end...

Didn't it go in off the bar after lobbing the keeper (Welch I assume), or did I dream that? 

The one where the wind blew it back, I think Bob Taylor ran towards the keeper and outjumped him to head it in. Predictably the keeper tried to make out some spurious offence had been committed but the goal stood. Was it against Orient?

Also, David James punching it back over his head from the edge of the area with no-one within ten yards of him v Watford.

It was against Orient.

Our second goal when we beat Chelsea at home in the FA Cup in the 1989-1990 season seemed strange. Robbie Turner hit the post and then the Chelsea defence seemed to stand still because they assumed he was offside, leaving him to poke the ball in from close range. One of those goals where there was a pause before the celebrations because everyone thought the linesman's flag would go up.

Remember that one with fondness.....shame he got a bollocking for doing it though !

Cashley's against Hull ( I think it was hull ? ) slightly wind assisted :whistle:

Yes it was against Hull from the Eastend end of the pitch and Jeff Wealands was the unfortunate keeper who let it in I believe .I was there at the time 

Not a weird goal as such, but interesting that during our 1989/90 promotion season we were drawing a home match in the closing minutes and an opposition defender went down injured in their penalty area.  Rather than us kicking the ball out, as teams would now be expected to do, Rob Newman signalled frantically that the injured man was playing him onside and scored from the resulting pass and we got the win.  These days presumably that would be frowned upon, but then it was regarded as quick and smart thinking. Ah, those were the days.

Archived