IGNORED

Weirdest goal

Major Isewater

Chris Crowe against Rotherham. Free kick at park end. Hit with such venom, it hit inside of left post, right post, left post AGAIN and in. A real pin-ball wizard moment. 

I remember the Green'un ran the series of stills, quite brilliant photography !

SB you are slightly older than me so your memory of this might be more accurate. I remember Ken Wimshurst scoring a goal direct from a free kick after only 13 seconds. As I remember it he floated a ball into the box from just outside the centre circle, everyone missed it and it went straight in, the bizarre thing as I remember was that it bounced a couple of times and yet the keeper seemed routed to the spot. I think there was some controversy over whether the ref had signalled it was indirect. Is this ringing any bells for you?

Also if I remember correctly, Keith Welch did an air kick to a Stuart Munro back pass at ?West Brom in about 1993, which later feature on A Question of Sport in the 'what happened next' category.

I recall Phillips doing something similar at Wolves in that relegation season in the late 1990s. Horrible game, still makes me shudder.

On a similar basis, there have been a few weird goals that never were

Can't remember all the details for certain, but am sure one was at Chelsea ages ago (70s or 80s?), the opposition scored, but the ball somehow escaped through the netting and the ref awarded a goal kick.

I think there have also been a couple of cases at least in the good old days of stanchions supporting the goalposts, when shots have hit the stanchions and bounced straight out and the refs have missed the ball "hitting the back of the net" and let play go on with no goal awarded ( think one of them might have been at Coventry.)

I think there have also been a couple of cases at least in the good old days of stanchions supporting the goalposts, when shots have hit the stanchions and bounced straight out and the refs have missed the ball "hitting the back of the net" and let play go on with no goal awarded ( think one of them might have been at Coventry.)

There's a great example of that on an early Danny Baker "freaky football" video where Clive Allen hit's a freekick like a rocket into the top corner only for the referee to wave play on. 

On a similar basis, there have been a few weird goals that never were

Can't remember all the details for certain, but am sure one was at Chelsea ages ago (70s or 80s?), the opposition scored, but the ball somehow escaped through the netting and the ref awarded a goal kick.

I were only a lad at the time but I'm sure either Johnny Watkins or Peter Hooper scored at the East End with a shot that broke the goal net. The ball went in the goal but was then outside of it in an instant. It was only when the linesman checked and found a hole in the net that it was clear what had happened.  Both players had terrific shots on them and the old leather balls back then were a lot heavier than they are today, especially when wet. Also the nets were probably not so strong.

what's the weirdest goal you've seen ?

For me it has to be Chris Garland's header against the Gas .

The ball was on the ground and he got down on all fours and headed over the line.

Who knows where the Gas defence were as it seemed to take an age for the execution.

Im sure I remenber seeing that, God knows when that was though late sixties early seventies??

Memories are vague nowadays, you know I really should remember the execution but can't... Rivalry was fierce back then but bloody hell the Pirates killed Chrissy for that?  bit harsh IMO , but football was a tough old game then and I miss it. Who came on off the bench to replace Garland? 

Im sure I remenber seeing that, God knows when that was though late sixties early seventies??

Memories are vague nowadays, you know I really should remember the execution but can't... Rivalry was fierce back then but bloody hell the Pirates killed Chrissy for that?  bit harsh IMO , but football was a tough old game then and I miss it. Who came on off the bench to replace Garland? 

It was August 5th 1978. I remember it because it was the day before my 9th birthday. Dad got me a shirt for my present. Won 6-1.

It was August 5th 1978. I remember it because it was the day before my 9th birthday. Dad got me a shirt for my present. Won 6-1.

78 really? .....jeez, a decade out, well guess the old saying about if you can remember 60s/70s you weren't there must be true... Dammit, beginning to doubt if I really did order a swag-bag now!  

I was in me early twenties , could've swore it was mid teenage years.. 

SB you are slightly older than me so your memory of this might be more accurate. I remember Ken Wimshurst scoring a goal direct from a free kick after only 13 seconds. As I remember it he floated a ball into the box from just outside the centre circle, everyone missed it and it went straight in, the bizarre thing as I remember was that it bounced a couple of times and yet the keeper seemed routed to the spot. I think there was some controversy over whether the ref had signalled it was indirect. Is this ringing any bells for you?

Yes, sort of, but couldn't tell you who it was against .

Oxford away, possibly Andy Leanings debut , League cup. Dean Saunders hits a shot over Leaning who was on about the penalty spot, it hits the bar . Rebounds hits leaning (  diving backwards) on the head and goes in. Goal given the Saunders ! We won 4-2 I think.

Bristol Manor Farm game a few years ago, ball over the top, 2 defenders, a striker and the goalkeeper all go for it, one of the defenders boots the ball, it hits the striker in the stomach, he goes down winded. Ball loops up over the keeper, one of the defenders gets back to clear the ball off the line, but kicks it into the back of the goalkeeper and the ball goes in goal. Game finished in a 7-4 loss for Manor Farm, at one point their manager asking me what the score was as he had lost track

Spot on! That was the start of our run to the semis. Beat the Us 2-0 at home and went through on away goals. One of the home goals was scored by Steve Maclaren if memory serves. Picked it up in his own half, went through the lot of them and banged it in down the Park End. Still one of my favourite City goals.

That was a class goal!

We actually won 2-4 in the away leg at Oxford and went through 6-2 after dispatching Exeter 2-0 on aggregate, then we were on our way!

The atmosphere in the away end at Bradford in the quarter final still sends shivers down my spine, awesome night!

I remember a goal against Fulham at home in the FA Cup (1990? I'm sure Bob Taylor was playing) when their keeper cleared the ball high, it was caught in a strong wind, and came straight back over his head into the net.

The one where the wind blew it back, I think Bob Taylor ran towards the keeper and outjumped him to head it in. Predictably the keeper tried to make out some spurious offence had been committed but the goal stood. Was it against Orient?

Also, David James punching it back over his head from the edge of the area with no-one within ten yards of him v Watford.

that one for me too....was it Super Bob or Rennie that scored.  I wasn't a season ticket holder then, but remembering us stuffing teams over. 5 or 6 sequence.  Fulham, Crewe etc.  Mark Gavin was unplayable on the right wing.

Archived