IGNORED

Best Ever Season - Wow

Tomo

On my 8th Birthday - we were only 8 points off top - mad world and it was my 1st ever treat to sit in the Dolman Stand against Man City, score 1-1

Thanks Mum for buying the Dolman Tickets for my birthday - bloody Open End on the railings!

30th December 1978!

How things have changed. We finished above Man City and Chelsea! What is really sad, is City had the basis of a squad that could have provided a platform for a long-term future in the top division. Instead of bringing in new players, we went for 10 year contracts for the existing players, resulting in a slow decline and eventual relegation. There were exceptions - e g Norman Hunter - but they were exceptions.

On another thread regarding Joe Cole - saying he is too old, we cant afford him etc - we need to understand that when we signed Hunter and Royle (with TC on the books) they were part of the team that gave us the BEST EVER SEASON for Bristol City and were apparently "past their best".

Ok, the ridiculous contracts then handed out got us into a mess (aka 1982).

We now have Mr Lansdown in charge - a monster money businessman. He will spend money - and lets get back to my 8th Birthday days!

Probably, our second best ever season. Our Best ever season has to be when we finished Runners up in this division . Although the F.A.Cup Final season might come a close second for some.  I do remember the 78/79 season and our early elevated position in the league,on merit too, there was already talk of a finish in the UEFA ? Cup places.  Still, perhaps  next  season.

Probably, our second best ever season. Our Best ever season has to be when we finished Runners up in this division.

You have to be kidding right?

I remember that season - the pies were shocking, the rattles made my ears bleed and someone nicked my bloody penny farthing. 

On another thread regarding Joe Cole - saying he is too old, we cant afford him etc - we need to understand that when we signed Hunter and Royle (with TC on the books) they were part of the team that gave us the BEST EVER SEASON for Bristol City and were apparently "past their best".

Ok, the ridiculous contracts then handed out got us into a mess (aka 1982).

We now have Mr Lansdown in charge - a monster money businessman. He will spend money - and lets get back to my 8th Birthday days!

Joe Royle had been in the England squad the year before, hardly anyone thought he was past his best..

Went to Anfield, not many there and when the few broke out into song it was met with an ironic cheer. Dalglish received the ball  on the edge of the box, back to goal, shimmied one way turned the other and put the ball in the corner of the net. I thought it was late on tho?

Also remember Pop Musik by M was on the radio constantly on the trip up.

It's funny.... I look at that league...and if you took out Coventry and added Sheffield Utd....in my eyes would look aesthetically perfect as a representation of teams around the Country. It's a shame we have been unable to be like Bolton, Norwich and Ipswich over the years....

As a Professional football club, those in charge over the years have made so many poor decisions. Can't see it changing any time soon either :-(

How I loved that season! Obviously not our 'best ever' (we finished 2nd in the top div once!) but we beat Liverpool and Man United at Old Trafford, in a league match!

And countless other memories all topped off by Sir Gerry Gow winning our Player of the Year Award.

13th in the top division!

We can only dream....

Why did Liverpool play at Old Trafford?

Did we play them both on the same day?? ;)

I was 5 going into that season - that is proper football

1 to 11 on the shirts

No sponsorship

Muddy pitches

Proper tackles

Long hair and necklaces flowing in the wind

No shinpads

Almost bringing a tear to my eye

And there were blokes of our generation back then, who scoffed at such ' sissy's ' playing the game....grown men going to a ladies hair salon and having a perm....whatever next ;-)

Joe Royle had been in the England squad the year before, hardly anyone thought he was past his best..

That perfectly illustrates the difference between then and now. In the 70s,  even internationals did not earn very much, and a division 2 club like City could afford to pay their wages if they dropped a division. Now, a similar player to Joe Royle would want mega bucks to come here. As a result we have, in the recent past, signed some lower quality players who were approaching the end of their career, with disastrous results. This doesn't mean it's impossible to sign good older players, just more difficult 

That perfectly illustrates the difference between then and now. In the 70s,  even internationals did not earn very much, and a division 2 club like City could afford to pay their wages if they dropped a division. Now, a similar player to Joe Royle would want mega bucks to come here. As a result we have, in the recent past, signed some lower quality players who were approaching the end of their career, with disastrous results. This doesn't mean it's impossible to sign good older players, just more difficult 

Jo didn't drop a division to come here. We were a first div club. And I saw him score four on his home debut. Mind you I don't think he scored that many more after!

Jo didn't drop a division to come here. We were a first div club. And I saw him score four on his home debut. Mind you I don't think he scored that many more after!

Against Middlesbrough, if I recall correctly; although I also thought that this was in the then second division - memory playing tricks again.

Against Middlesbrough, if I recall correctly; although I also thought that this was in the then second division - memory playing tricks again.

Indeed, 'Boro it was. 4-0 the result and he scored every one. I was watching from the old open end. Pity he peaked in his first game!

Yeh! We were THAT good!

Obviously I was referring to our epic 1-0 home win against the Mickey Mousers with Joe Royle notching and then Kevin M scored a hatrick at Man U! Unforgettable stuff....

The Liverpool game was my first match....not a bad one, eh?  Royle's mishit volley late on completely fooling Clemence.  I used to stand on my Dad's toolbox in the away end (now Atyeo).  Imagine trying to get in with a metal toolbox these days.  Remember Royle's hattrick on Boxing Day v Coventry 5-0 and Jimmy Mann's 40 yarder past Shilton v Florist.  Not quite as good as Newman's v Newport!

Archived