IGNORED

JET

EmersonsRed

Still angers me that we let him go so readily. Players like JET who create truly memorable moments of pure quality are few and far between and when one looks back on their time of watching City, its players like JET who will have painted the pictures we see.

Certainly QPR fans feel like they've got the makings of a special player on their hands already and they'd be right;

http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/showthread.php?190372-JET&s=5693f852b35117e4250e6a20fbef5519

JET offered us movement and hold-up play?! And a hard-worker?!

I love the guy but if he added that to his game...

People seem to forget when we signed JET he came from Ipswich and in order for him to sign for us Ipswich had to pay around 45% of his salary for what would have been the duration of his contract had he stayed at Ipswich. He had 2 years left on his deal, which is why he signed for us for 2 years. Reportedly we were paying him roughly 6500 a week of a 12000 a week salary he had at Ipswich but he would only come here if Ipswich paid the part of his salary he would have missed out on. Ipswich agreed and it meant JET was still on 12K a week for 2 years in League One, but was only costing us 6500 a week. 

Now given we got promoted JET would have wanted an increase in salary for sure, possibly around 15K a week I would imagine, this was probably beyond us and SC probably felt didn't represent value. At 6500 a week, the club were happy to pay that, but I doubt we would have even put up 12K a week to match his contract as he was only a fringe player.

It was never a case of the club not wanting to retain JET or not value him, it was a case of the move to BCFC was financially possible thanks to Ipswich, and had they declined to pay towards his wages he would have never come in the first place. When you consider the club were reportedly only willing to offer Gray 15k a week but stump up 8M + for his services, then I think it's very clear the club would have never sanctioned similar money for JET and rightly so. If QPR can afford 12K a week plus for a player who will never be the first name on the team sheet then good luck to them, but it will be a very long time before our club is ever in that position and the fans need to realise that. We financially can't compete with the big boys in this league, and the club will not risk financial suicide in taking a huge risk in doing so either.

that's wrong, we offered gray only 8k a week, we wanted nearer 11-12k 

Really? I'm very surprised if a) our offer and b) his demands were that low..

It's completely made up as are the figures about JET's wages.  People pass on rumours as though they were fact, using words like "reportedly" as code for "fantasy".  Logic tells you that £8k a week is horse shit.

Burnley did ot offer more money than us for Gray. Gray openly said financially the better offer was from Bristol City, but he felt Burnley was a better fit and matched his aspirations.

The lad wants to play in the Premier League and understandably saw Burnley as much more likely. Burnley did not offer higher wages for Gray than we did.

Only passing on the information I was told by a work colleague who has a brother on the coaching staff at Burnley. He told me before he had signed for Burnley they had offered more money than us, he talked to us and then told Burnley how much we were offering.

True or not I don't know but only passing on the info I was told. I have no reason to doubt he would lie about it.

Didn't think we'd let him go without something better to replace him.

Didn't think we'd let Wade Elliot retire without something to replace him

Didn't think we'd let Cunningham leave without something better to replace him (this was a long way into the close season, when things were obviously going seriously tits) 

A complete shambles of a transfer window that will result in City getting relegated, Cotterill will leave or get fired and SL and the board will get a bloody nose because they know they imposed the rules which meant that no one would sign for us, as we weren't prepared to pay the wages other team would. The pillars thing is a nice idea but is too blunt a weapon to use in the real world. We need a blend of young players and experience, we probably need some better paid players amongst the team.

What a complete balls up.

Again, 

What I find interesting is that part of the reason Cotts said he was letting him go was because he couldn't promise him 1st team football and that his fitness suffers when he is on the bench. Now here he is, having not played for the past couple of weeks scoring the winning goal in the 94 minute. Sounds like he is fit to me!

Jet now playing and scoring for QPR , one of the favourites to go up -but not good enough for Bristol City! Can't have been the extra wages that made SC move him on . An extra £6 k for 2 years comes to only  £600 k in total. Compare that additional cost to bidding £8 million  for Gray or Gayle.plus wages!  Would prefer JET to either of these players.Jet was one of the most talented and exciting players I have ever seen in 60 years supporting the club. Grossly underused by SC last season. What a difference he could have made this season -nobody on the bench yesterday comes even close to the game changer Jet can be. JET and Kodger would have been a real threat to every defence in our league. How we retained Agard and let JET go is still a complete and utter mystery to me. The squad is so much weaker without him .Like another poster -this was the first indication for me that SC might not be the right manager to take us forward.

What I find interesting is that part of the reason Cotts said he was letting him go was because he couldn't promise him 1st team football and that his fitness suffers when he is on the bench. Now here he is, having not played for the past couple of weeks scoring the winning goal in the 94 minute. Sounds like he is fit to me!

Apparently he looked like he needed to come off with 25 minutes to go from what was being said on their forum.

We only paid half of his sallary last season with Ipswich paying the other half. Kodjia is on far less than that half and far better value for money. 

Whilst that would seem a reasonable assumption, would it surprise you to learn that Kodjia is actually on £15K a week?

Yes I know this for a fact, and no I won't name my source, so of course I don't expect you to believe me. While I personally feel uncomfortable with the idea that we needed to be offering such wages for an untried player in the Championship, as it turns out from what we've seen so far, I'm happy that Kodjia is one player worth paying the big bucks for. 

Archived