IGNORED

What will Lansdown and co do ?

DT The Optimist

10 games in.  1 win.  Some good performances.  some Indifferent ( as perhaps today).   A terrible recruitment in the summer and nonsense in letting ( or allowing) certain players leave. (no not that old chesnut:fear:)

If I was the majority shareholder what would I be thinking.  last season was fantastic, brilliant.  Party time.  Happy days in open top buses and all that.  A truly great stadium rising from the ground.  But all gone a bit sour.

Almost quarter of way into season and we are rightly bottom.  Yes, a few wins and the situation will change, but do we actually look like being able to get those wins.  Today was alarming.  MK Dons were poor, at half time for the taking.   second half we were taken to the cleaners and seemingly no way of changing what everyone could see was going to happen ?

What is SL thoughts now.  How can he stop it all going down the proverbial pan.  A nice shiny stadium back in league one and everest to climb again ? 10000 at best rattling around ?  Cotts is not for changing.  We seem to have used up all our loan players quota. cannot strengthen until January ?  What is he going to do !  

Therein lies the problem. Despite investing tens of millions of pounds the Major Investor has never seemed to operate with a long term plan or at least none that has ever been stuck to and is therefore forced to act "off the cuff" (or Press the Panic Button) again and again.

Now Major Investor , there's a chap, used to play Polo together in India , sunk all his money in rubbish,  Methane ,caused quite a stink down at the officers club . Sound familiar ?

If there is only 1 loan signing left and no permanents available until January then very little is the answer. Not sure if these rules apply to overseas recruits?

I suppose he could ship one of the loanies back, if one is not panning out, and that then gives him two positions he can take up.

The million or billion dollar question.

The answer to that only he knows. After last season the club had momentum.  The south stand was rising like a phoenix out of the east end ashes, and the whole club felt unreal.

However, we have hit the self destruct button. We look directionless.  Our summer was nothing short of horrendous. Like headless chickens running around. One minute we were scoffing and acting all hurt by wage demands and transfer fees of players. Only for the week after trying to sign the same players (possibly) and it's no wonder they didn't want to come.

The club have backed themselves into position of weakness instead of being strong and resolute with a plan.

January will define this board, management and team. We cannot get it wrong. SL cannot get it wrong

Stevo

Do you not think that his (almost) 20 year association with the club as a director and investor qualifies him to know at least a 'bit' about running a club?

You would think so, to be fair, which makes the events of pre-season all the more bizarre. It was like we handed over the reins to a five year old and gave them a box of crayons to be starting off with.

The summer was almost like a microcosm of his tenure at City. "We're going to be prudent" that fails, so plan b comes in, "we're gonna spend big" before falling back to the loan market.

If club is to live within its means then fine do so. I applaud that and wish it would. If the club is to spend and chase the dream, so be it and enjoy the ride. The constant u-turns make it impossible see any sustained progress from either plan.

Towards the end of last season, when we were pretty much guaranteed promotion, SC stated they were planning  for life in the championship. 

I cannot believe they were that naive regarding the cost of doing business in a higher league. It just looked very amateur. 

January is the first opportunity to gain some semblance of recovery for the fiasco that was this summer.

Identify targets and get the personnel in.  I don't want to read in the press ever again, about how much this player costs or his wage demands. We wanted to be in this division, we now need to belong. I am talking in terms of stadium, budget and squad. 

Stevo 

I find that hard to believe. These are very experienced football men. Lansdown isn't

But he is though. 20 years of hiring and firing managers, God only knows how many players bought, sold and loaned and probably a complete range of agents worked with.

I think the club have been naive in expecting players to want a reasonable wage when it sounds like most of them want top end money for second tier football, but if the sustainability of the club is in jeopardy and the harmony in the squad open to upset because someone comes in on 4 times as much cash and isn't 4 times the player of the rest then he is to be applauded.

Towards the end of last season, when we were pretty much guaranteed promotion, SC stated they were planning  for life in the championship. 

I cannot believe they were that naive regarding the cost of doing business in a higher league. It just looked very amateur. 

January is the first opportunity to gain some semblance of recovery for the fiasco that was this summer.

Identify targets and get the personnel in.  I don't want to read in the press ever again, about how much this player costs or his wage demands. We wanted to be in this division, we now need to belong. I am talking in terms of stadium, budget and squad. 

Stevo 

How old is Keith Burt then?  

But he is though. 20 years of hiring and firing managers, God only knows how many players bought, sold and loaned and probably a complete range of agents worked with.

I think the club have been naive in expecting players to want a reasonable wage when it sounds like most of them want top end money for second tier football, but if the sustainability of the club is in jeopardy and the harmony in the squad open to upset because someone comes in on 4 times as much cash and isn't 4 times the player of the rest then he is to be applauded.

Except you don't go chucking round bids of £7m like confetti and then expect the lads concerned to come down and ask for £5K per week. And neither would the rest of the squad either.

harmony in the squad open to upset because someone comes in on 4 times as much cash and isn't 4 times the player of the rest then he is to be applauded.

Hey Rob

I am not sure I agree with that. This team is currently bottom. If we had signed Grey for instance and he did agree terms and he was earning 4 times what say Pack was on, would Pack be that upset?

Over the summer we never sold player for a vast sum of money. Their valuations and wages are commensurate. I would hope that success on the pitch with higher calibre players was more important, than he earns twice as much as me.

Regards

Stevo

20 years of hiring and firing A LOT of managers suggests that Lansdown isn't the most astute when it comes to footballing matters.

He isn't to be applauded if his tightness means we're at the bottom of the league.

Had our best summer window in years in the summer of 2014, we then go on to have an amazing season. Why we didn't try to do the same again, I will never know. It's like we looked at everything that brought us success last season and decided to do the exact opposite.

It's completely inexplicable.

20 years of hiring and firing A LOT of managers suggests that Lansdown isn't the most astute when it comes to footballing matters.

He isn't to be applauded if his tightness means we're at the bottom of the league.

Indeed. In that time he's got 2 appointments right, GJ and SC.

Not a great track record really, is it?

The million or billion dollar question.

The answer to that only he knows. After last season the club had momentum.  The south stand was rising like a phoenix out of the east end ashes, and the whole club felt unreal.

However, we have hit the self destruct button. We look directionless.  Our summer was nothing short of horrendous. Like headless chickens running around. One minute we were scoffing and acting all hurt by wage demands and transfer fees of players. Only for the week after trying to sign the same players (possibly) and it's no wonder they didn't want to come.

The club have backed themselves into position of weakness instead of being strong and resolute with a plan.

January will define this board, management and team. We cannot get it wrong. SL cannot get it wrong

Stevo

How can we carry on like this until January. We need to change what we are doing or expect more of the same.If nothing changes until January we will be gone.

Archived