IGNORED

Questions for The Board

Ivorguy

1. Why were only two players signed in the summer - one of whom left quickly under still unexplained circumstances ?  This is particularly relevant given that last season's squad was seriously weakened by those players, who for one reason or another, left.  Moreover, the manager said on appointment that if the Club was promoted he would need about six new players.  Finally, three of the present squad were deemed unsuitable for League One, only months ago, and were loaned out to clubs in League Two where they hardly set the world alight.

2. Why did the club bring in one loanee who has only started one game in ten?  Surely a loan of a player who would strengthen the team rather than the squad would have been a better option.

3. Why was the manager appointed without normal recruitment procedures being followed?

4. Why keep making the decades long City error of not reinforcing success?  We again have a star striker isolated in a poor team - shades of the late great Big John.

5. Why has the Club been so reluctant to engage with fans this season?  Does it only communicate in the good times?

Are there answers to any of these questions?  I would submit that the first important appointment to make is that of a professional football consultant to The Board, and take it from there.

The point I am trying to make is if due process had been carried out the issue of the manager's suitability for the Championship would have been explored, and the length of his contract.Further when the next manager is appointed we need The Board to adopt normal practice

My understanding is that there was no open recruitment or competitive interviews.

I remember raising my concerns with the Club at the time

And then being quite as we won two trophies and had one of the best seasons we've ever had?

Get a grip. 

1. Why were only two players signed in the summer - one of whom left quickly under still unexplained circumstances ?  This is particularly relevant given that last season's squad was seriously weakened by those players, who for one reason or another, left.  Moreover, the manager said on appointment that if the Club was promoted he would need about six new players.  Finally, three of the present squad were deemed unsuitable for League One, only months ago, and were loaned out to clubs in League Two where they hardly set the world alight.

2. Why did the club bring in one loanee who has only started one game in ten?  Surely a loan of a player who would strengthen the team rather than the squad would have been a better option.

3. Why was the manager appointed without normal recruitment procedures being followed?

4. Why keep making the decades long City error of not reinforcing success?  We again have a star striker isolated in a poor team - shades of the late great Big John.

5. Why has the Club been so reluctant to engage with fans this season?  Does it only communicate in the good times?

Are there answers to any of these questions?  I would submit that the first important appointment to make is that of a professional football consultant to The Board, and take it from there.

Akinde? 

My understanding is that there was no open recruitment or competitive interviews.

I remember raising my concerns with the Club at the time

The board had a target interviewed there number 1 target and gave him the job... Oh and then he delivered a record points total and two trophies and attacking football!!! What do you mean you raised you concern at the time???

The point I am trying to make is if due process had been carried out the issue of the manager's suitability for the Championship would have been explored, and the length of his contract.Further when the next manager is appointed we need The Board to adopt normal practice

I'm really amazed by this. At the time of SCs appointment championship suitability should have been very low on the agenda: who can keep us up first and foremost.  

As for length of contract it hasn't been a problem has it? In fact wasn't it perfect..? He has 18m left (only 6 months more compo than a rolling deal). If his deal was one year shorter arguably we'd have been in a tough position re his tenure. He could reasonable have expected a renewal this summer and we could've feared someone picking him up for little compo. 

I like you disapproved of the process but I have nil complaints re the result. If the process had been different I'm not sure anything more would've/could've been achieved. 

In fairness, at the time of Cotterills appointment it looked more likely that we would be leaving L1 through the other door. He kept us up and followed that with the best season in my memory so imo the board deserve credit for bringing in and backing SC who was clearly the right candidate for the job.

Think it's pretty well commented on that City screwed up pre-season big time, just hope lessons learned and we can dig ourselves out of the hole. Think we went for marquee signings, overlooking the obvious fact that the squad needed a few large tents as well!

Post would be a lot better without Q3.

I suspect the vast majority of professional league clubs are mis-managed to some extent.

When results are good, it's swan above the water that we see.

When results are bad, it's the legs frantically paddling away that we see.

For some reason football and business is a weird combo, and only a few clubs can be successful each season, and that doesn't mean they've been successful financially either.  Have a read of David Conn's books, if you want to get an insight.....pretty shocking stuff.

i can only offer an answer to q2....the manager doesn't think he's better than the starters.

I think this season is showing us fans at our fickle best - perhaps we get what we deserve?

I'm probably rose tinted....but I'd rather we focus on getting behind the club (staff and players) than keep going over the same ground. 

The board had a target interviewed there number 1 target and gave him the job... Oh and then he delivered a record points total and two trophies and attacking football!!! What do you mean you raised you concern at the time???

Lots were concerned about that at the time. It has worked; but shouldn't set a precedent for recruitment in the future for managers.

I don't think he delivered a record points total, in 1954/55 we won 30 and drew 10 - the equivalent of 100 points today.

Can't really compare the days of two points and three points for a win I know, but it's worth pointing out....and 30 wins in a season is some achievement...

I don't think he delivered a record points total, in 1954/55 we won 30 and drew 10 - the equivalent of 100 points today.

Can't really compare the days of two points and three points for a win I know, but it's worth pointing out....and 30 wins in a season is some achievement...

bit picky !! Think the record books say 99 points so I will go with that.

Lots were concerned about that at the time. It has worked; but shouldn't set a precedent for recruitment in the future for managers.

far from setting a precedent this was the first time I recall that this has happened. It was Keith Dawes decision and SL backed him. I'm sure in futre it will revert to normal practice. I actually thought it showed good management, identifying your target and securing him quickly.

far from setting a precedent this was the first time I recall that this has happened. It was Keith Dawes decision and SL backed him. I'm sure in futre it will revert to normal practice. I actually thought it showed good management, identifying your target and securing him quickly.

No, I said it shouldn't set a precedent in the future - it only sets a precedent if it happens again! It worked this time but it's not good practice. 

Fairly sure he's referring to Stern John 

I agree with 5 -- I think the media dept and thus the club have been very poor this season. The player interviews have been woeful -- nothing insoiring whatsoever and the routine questioning has been robotic -- so so predictable. No special features about players in depth.

But more alarmingly the OP has I feel identified a big gap in the communications this year. We should routinely have had interviews with SL JL KB -- i have only seen on this season from JP. It does all suggest to me that there is a lack of clarity, cohesion, objective at the top and no we dont have a right to know but in respect to the fans there should be some engagement. It would also help to know that there is some sort of plan to put things right because if not the writing is clearly on the wall.

Think my Q3 got lost in translation!  I think The Board's action is symptomatic of wider issue of how it manages the Club.  

I think most clubs now only sack their manager mid-season if they have a replacement lined up, especially later in the season. While going through a lengthy interview process games are still being played often with points lost as a result making it more difficult for the new manager. Also you have to be sure there's a better manager than the one you've got who's willing to come to the club. If it's done at the end of a season then it's fair enough to interview several candidates but in the situation we were in a couple of years ago that could have been the difference between relegation and survival.

We had the longest time this summer of any other clubs in the league, to get the players in that Steve said he needed. The players we bid for, and had excepted were very exciting. But why did we bid when no way could we match their wage demands. Someone wasted time, and had not done their homework.Of course the money clubs get from the premiership when they are relegated I believe is the main problem. Not only for us but PNE and Milton Keynes, as the table shows.That said the signing of Jonathon Kodjia is a great success, and Is the way forward for clubs like ours.

We had the longest time this summer of any other clubs in the league, to get the players in that Steve said he needed. The players we bid for, and had excepted were very exciting. But why did we bid when no way could we match their wage demands. Someone wasted time, and had not done their homework.Of course the money clubs get from the premiership when they are relegated I believe is the main problem. Not only for us but PNE and Milton Keynes, as the table shows.That said the signing of Jonathon Kodjia is a great success, and Is the way forward for clubs like ours.

This isn't aimed at you fella...but something worth thinking about across the forum.

Burt and SC have been in this game long enough to know how transfers work...they would have spoken to agents of players, to get a ball park figure as to what players wages are. We wouldn't have agreed terms with Clubs for players, if we couldn't afford to pay the wages those players wanted.

Players have decided to go to other clubs for various other reasons....not just wages.

The one success has been kodijia like you say...poor lad must be wondering what he's walked into.

Thankfully we seem to have a decent bunch of players that any manager could work with.

This isn't aimed at you fella...but something worth thinking about across the forum.

Burt and SC have been in this game long enough to know how transfers work...they would have spoken to agents of players, to get a ball park figure as to what players wages are. We wouldn't have agreed terms with Clubs for players, if we couldn't afford to pay the wages those players wanted.

Players have decided to go to other clubs for various other reasons....not just wages.

The one success has been kodijia like you say...poor lad must be wondering what he's walked into.

Thankfully we seem to have a decent bunch of players that any manager could work with.

I did wonder that, Spud but I actually think he'll be pretty happy- he's the stand out player- third top scorer after 10 games and has got his foothold in English football whilst still learning the language .

If you were his agent- what would you be telling him?

" This time next year, Kodders, we'll be millionaires".

Archived