IGNORED

Good and Bad News for SC

handsofclay

As many have indicated, there are many parallels between this season and 1998-99. To name but a few, we finished bottom in that season, had spent the summer recruiting and trying to recruit strikers, and one of those strikers, Akinbiyi, was amongst the top scorers in the division despite our lowly position. Indeed, I recall Jeff Stelling saying when Akinbiyi scored at Brum in a 4-2 defeat, 'Where would Bristol City be without Akinbiyi's goals this season? .....Oh, bottom of course which is the position they currently occupy!'

I could list other coincidences, but there is one potentially on the horizon which could be good and bad news for SC. If I recall correctly, City's first home televised match that season was  v Bolton on a Friday night. Up to that point I think City under Ward had won just one match. The good news for SC was that City beat Bolton 2-1 and leapfrogged a few teams in the table. The bad news for SC was that Benny Lennartson was in the stands and within days was appointed the new Bristol City manager, Wards efforts in gaining a promotion for us counting for nothing.

Could be interesting seeing who is in the crowd on our Friday night sky game v Forest.

John Ward was either a) too honest or b) too naieve because he told the board that he was n't capable and that he needed help.

They listened to him and appointed Benny . Wardy wanted Mick Harford as his assistant and was n't happy.

The rest is history. Once again a top board decision to shoot ourselves in the foot .

• Admin

nope, 1-1 thunderbolt from Soren Andersen istr.

Bolton post match interview with Ward was Weird iirc, despite the win

Bolton was the game on the Friday night which turned out to be wards last game, but we were also on TV at start of September awaaway to Sunderland, they battered us, phillips saved a penalty and Soren Anderson scored a late equaliser 

Bolton was the game on the Friday night which turned out to be wards last game, but we were also on TV at start of September awaaway to Sunderland, they battered us, phillips saved a penalty and Soren Anderson scored a late equaliser 

And Hewlett handled the ball via his forearm after it had bounced up. It was as blatant as it gets but the ref didn't give it. That was a very lucky point...

Keith Welch I think.

Actually it was Keith Welch who saved the spot kick; http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=376&teamTabs=results (click on 'i' for match information'). Steve Phillips didn't make his debut until Saturday December 5, against Sheffield United. And that was only because new signing Bo Andersen, at the time labelled 'the new Peter Schmeichel', missed his debut, due a delayed flight from Denmark. I recall us taking the lead from a penalty awarded for handball, that was a mystery to everyone except the referee.

I am more concerned by the parallels with 12/13, when performances quickly tailed off after those two terrific wins v Palace and Cardiff.  We haven't had the wins this time, but the performances seem to deteriorating in the same way.  The momentum from last year is gone and now it seems the confidence is draining away with it.

As many have indicated, there are many parallels between this season and 1998-99. To name but a few, we finished bottom in that season, had spent the summer recruiting and trying to recruit strikers, and one of those strikers, Akinbiyi, was amongst the top scorers in the division despite our lowly position. Indeed, I recall Jeff Stelling saying when Akinbiyi scored at Brum in a 4-2 defeat, 'Where would Bristol City be without Akinbiyi's goals this season? .....Oh, bottom of course which is the position they currently occupy!'

I could list other coincidences, but there is one potentially on the horizon which could be good and bad news for SC. If I recall correctly, City's first home televised match that season was  v Bolton on a Friday night. Up to that point I think City under Ward had won just one match. The good news for SC was that City beat Bolton 2-1 and leapfrogged a few teams in the table. The bad news for SC was that Benny Lennartson was in the stands and within days was appointed the new Bristol City manager, Wards efforts in gaining a promotion for us counting for nothing.

Could be interesting seeing who is in the crowd on our Friday night sky game v Forest.

City actually signed 3 strikers that summer Akinbiyi, Andersen and Thorpe, so that's not a parallel and City signed at least 4 other players making a grand total of at least 7, we are bottom (which is a parallel) but have yet to finish bottom for this season which again is not a parallel, Kodjia is a parallel.

City actually signed 3 strikers that summer Akinbiyi, Andersen and Thorpe, so that's not a parallel and City signed at least 4 other players making a grand total of at least 7, we are bottom (which is a parallel) but have yet to finish bottom for this season which again is not a parallel, Kodjia is a parallel.

The strange thing is we actually have 5 strikers in our small squad. Three of whom were on the bench last Saturday; Agard, Burns and Robinson. Unfortunately the latter two are always played out of position, leading supporters to believe that one is a winger/wingback and the other a poor attacking midfield loan signing. Would any of those do a worse job than Wilbraham, right now?

As for Agard, after scoring an excellent goal against Leeds, he's had hardly any game time - which is crazy.

The strange thing is we actually have 5 strikers in our small squad. Three of whom were on the bench last Saturday; Agard, Burns and Robinson. Unfortunately the latter two are always played out of position, leading supporters to believe that one is a winger/wingback and the other a poor attacking midfield loan signing. Would any of those do a worse job than Wilbraham, right now?

As for Agard, after scoring an excellent goal against Leeds, he's had hardly any game time - which is crazy.

All very interesting and possibly true who knows? but nothing to do with my post, which is to de-bunked the parallels between this season and 1998/1999.

As for Agard I find it quite ironic that a player that was almost universally declared as not good enough last season is now promoted to the peoples favourite.

i'm as disappointed as anybody and I believe sooner or later the owner, the board, Keith Burt, SC will have to actually answer some very uncomfortable questions about what actually happened, who did what, who said what and why our summer recruitment turned into the farce that it did?.

All very interesting and possibly true who knows? but nothing to do with my post, which is to de-bunked the parallels between this season and 1998/1999.

As for Agard I find it quite ironic that a player that was almost universally declared as not good enough last season is now promoted to the peoples favourite.

i'm as disappointed as anybody and I believe sooner or later the owner, the board, Keith Burt, SC will have to actually answer some very uncomfortable questions about what actually happened, who did what, who said what and why our summer recruitment turned into the farce that it did?.

Not so sure peoples opinion on Agard has changed, its due to wilbs form people want anyone but him to play! I'm sure board etc will answer those difficult questions but is now the right time to do that? I don't think so, cant see it being any help to the current situation we are in. We all know the summer was a disaster a review will be necessary but not now, maybe end of season? All efforts need to be put towards getting us up the league, dragging up the summer won't help .

John Ward was either a) too honest or b) too naieve because he told the board that he was n't capable and that he needed help.

They listened to him and appointed Benny . Wardy wanted Mick Harford as his assistant and was n't happy.

The rest is history. Once again a top board decision to shoot ourselves in the foot .

Ray Harford.

Not so sure peoples opinion on Agard has changed, its due to wilbs form people want anyone but him to play! I'm sure board etc will answer those difficult questions but is now the right time to do that? I don't think so, cant see it being any help to the current situation we are in. We all know the summer was a disaster a review will be necessary but not now, maybe end of season? All efforts need to be put towards getting us up the league, dragging up the summer won't help .

Again the irony is that is what people thought about Agard last season but hey ho.

I never suggested now is the time for a post mortem, but a post mortem there most certainly must be and let's have some truth and holding up of hands where necessary.

I did state in my OP that it was our first HOME tv game as knew about the Sunderland one early doors. But there are more parallels. Yes we signed 3 strikers in 98 but we attempted to sign three strikers in 2015, being successful with only one. The emphasis in 98 as with 15 was definitely on strikers and pretty well sod all on other positions. I would also say that in the early matches of 98 -99 we were the victims of clinical finishing, Sunderland excepted, which seen us punished whenever a mistake occurred and rarely obtain the points we deserved from a game.

This season smells just like 98 to 99.

Again the irony is that is what people thought about Agard last season but hey ho.

I never suggested now is the time for a post mortem, but a post mortem there most certainly must be and let's have some truth and holding up of hands where necessary.

completely agree!

I am more concerned by the parallels with 12/13, when performances quickly tailed off after those two terrific wins v Palace and Cardiff.  We haven't had the wins this time, but the performances seem to deteriorating in the same way.  The momentum from last year is gone and now it seems the confidence is draining away with it.

And how are we going to get the confidence back ?

bringing in quality new signings ? We all know the board are beavering away . 

Not a word, not a single rumour even , of a potential new signing .

Cards being played close to chests or has someone stolen the deck ?

Are the directors sourcing new players or a new manager ?

And how are we going to get the confidence back ?

bringing in quality new signings ? We all know the board are beavering away . 

Not a word, not a single rumour even , of a potential new signing .

Cards being played close to chests or has someone stolen the deck ?

Are the directors sourcing new players or a new manager ?

We can only make loan signings outside the transfer window and only have one of those left!

I actually said when robinson came on that he should have replaced wilbs up front!

You won't see many more one-sided games than us at Sunderland. Should have been about 7-0 to them.

I remember being at the game and the city fans singing we're only losing 1-0 as we were being battered. Had great time in the pub afterwards Sunderland fans were great

Archived