IGNORED

How long would you give Cotterill to turn it around?

ChippenhamRed

How long would you give Cotterill to turn it around?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought it would be interesting to gauge the patience of our fan base regarding our current predicament.  Please note I am in no way advocating that we should get rid of Cotterill at this stage - I'm just interested to see the broad view of the fans.  Equally it is not meant to disrespect his achievements last season. 

Personally I would give him until the end of the calendar year, but on the basis of the recruitment disaster in the summer I would be reluctant to let him have the January transfer window if we still haven't turned it around by then.

I'd give him until the end of the season. Our struggle this year seems very different to when we've been bad in previous seasons. Usually it's the whole 'they don't care' issue, but this time I'm coming around to the fact that the players might not actually be good enough, and no change in manager is going to alter that. 

We realistically have to ask ourselves what could another manager do right now that Cotts can't? 

Drop Wilbs I suppose... which would allow us to plug the midfield and stop letting every man and his dog have a run at the defence.

I've just talked myself out of my own point, well done me.

Impossible to say. Lose the next 5 games 0-3, would he have to go then? Or stay in touch, but still be bottom, but well within touching distance come Christmas, would he have to go then?

I don't want him to go, I think we can, and will, turn it around. Anywhere around 20th will do for me this season

If we don't recruit a quality, defensive central midfielder and striker before the November window closes, I fear that City will be adrift at the bottom of the Championship.

Remember, we can have a maximum of 5 loan players in our matchday squad, but are still allowed 8 during a season:

See: http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section6.aspx

52.2.1 A maximum of 5 loan Players (Standard, International, Emergency or Youth) can be named in the Players listed on a team sheet for any individual match played under the auspices of The League.  This figure shall include any additional loan of a goalkeeper approved by the Executive under the provisions of Regulation 54.
Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section6.aspx#rVuSxGYsc5euWTQJ.99

53.2.5 A Loaning Club can have a maximum of 4 Players under 23 and a further 4 Players over 23 registered on a Standard Loan during any Season.  The deadline for determining a Player’s age in this respect shall be 30 June prior to the Season in which the Standard Loan is intended to take place.  
Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section6.aspx#rVuSxGYsc5euWTQJ.99

Hard to say. Right now he has my full backing but if he sets us up like he did v MK Dons second half I'm sure my patience would very quickly change. I wouldn't put a points target on it that's for certain. I think it'd have to be gauged by how close we are in those games we do not win.

This summer's transfer window was a mess. But over the course of his reign I think Cotterill has shown an eye for a player - albeit he might need to tone down the 'stature'.  He's probably the one man I would want to go into the January window with in spite of how unpopular people will tell us he is. 

Any new man might want to change the system, for instance, and for me that's too much too soon with our personnel and what that might mean for transfer targets. We could easily fall in to the trap we were last time around with a squad of other people's choosing and little cohesion. I still see SC by a long shot as our best (at least) short and medium term option. 

I've said end of the season but I find the question hard to answer as I firmly believe we are in this, current, position due to the poor transfer window. What I don't know is whose fault that was. Cotterill, Burt, Pelling, Lansdown etc etc (I know Pelling has gone). Or a combination.

Whoever is responsible should go... If suitable players weren't identified by the Head of Recruitment or funds weren't made available by the board or the budget set was unrealistic, if the strategy is wrong (for example was there a refusal to sign older players?) are all factors that should dictate who is at fault....

of course it could all be down to poor tactics and poor team selection.... but I feel there's more to it and would be surprised if SC has suddenly lost it following last season's success. If others have cocked it up he should stay. 

Hard to say. Right now he has my full backing but if he sets us up like he did v MK Dons second half I'm sure my patience would very quickly change. I wouldn't put a points target on it that's for certain. I think it'd have to be gauged by how close we are in those games we do not win.

This summer's transfer window was a mess. But over the course of his reign I think Cotterill has shown an eye for a player - albeit he might need to tone down the 'stature'.  He's probably the one man I would want to go into the January window with in spite of how unpopular people will tell us he is. 

Any new man might want to change the system, for instance, and for me that's too much too soon with our personnel and what that might mean for transfer targets. We could easily fall in to the trap we were last time around with a squad of other people's choosing and little cohesion. I still see SC by a long shot as our best (at least) short and medium term option. 

You've put together a very good case in his favour here 29AR, good post.

I'd give him until the end of the season. Our struggle this year seems very different to when we've been bad in previous seasons. Usually it's the whole 'they don't care' issue, but this time I'm coming around to the fact that the players might not actually be good enough, and no change in manager is going to alter that. 

We realistically have to ask ourselves what could another manager do right now that Cotts can't? 

Drop Wilbs I suppose... which would allow us to plug the midfield and stop letting every man and his dog have a run at the defence.

I've just talked myself out of my own point, well done me.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think the same and I'm fearful that we are in serious trouble. 

I consider that his remarks about the second half performance versus MK Dons are blaming the players rather than his tactics or team selection.

He strikes me as a very impatient person and I have a very strong feeling that if results do not improve by December, he will walk away.

Thus being able to maintain his stated proud record of never having taken a team down.

Unless we're rock bottom and it seems he's lost the players' confidence, I'd let him stay even if we're in the relegation zone. After the summer we had, he's not a miracle worker. Doubt anyone else could come in and do even marginally better, and he gave us our best season in fifty years.

We're pretty much stuck with the current squad til Jan.

In Jan our chances of getting 'Championship ready' players who can make a real difference will depend on the position we're in much more than the money that's made available which I suspect could be plenty. I agree with what Spud has been saying about BCFC not being a particularly sexy football club and also that not everyone will want to play for Steve. Combine that with still being in a relegation position and we are highly unlikely to attract the right type of player.

So the most likely man to turn things  around with this  squad  remains Steve Cotterill both in practice and by default. I certainly will remain behind him and his players for the next ten games or so before wallowing in an unpleasant "Cotts out" campaign. 

Steve, if any reminder is needed, is a very experienced Manager, has a credible track record in football and despite what anyone says, will live, think and breathe BCFC. This guy will fight as hard as anyone-probably harder and I really believe us fans should continue our passionate support not because we owe it to him but because it's just plain common sense.

We're pretty much stuck with the current squad til Jan.

In Jan our chances of getting 'Championship ready' players who can make a real difference will depend on the position we're in much more than the money that's made available which I suspect could be plenty. I agree with what Spud has been saying about BCFC not being a particularly sexy football club and also that not everyone will want to play for Steve. Combine that with still being in a relegation position and we are highly unlikely to attract the right type of player.

So the most likely man to turn things  around with this  squad  remains Steve Cotterill both in practice and by default. I certainly will remain behind him and his players for the next ten games or so before wallowing in an unpleasant "Cotts out" campaign. 

Steve, if any reminder is needed, is a very experienced Manager, has a credible track record in football and despite what anyone says, will live, think and breathe BCFC. This guy will fight as hard as anyone-probably harder and I really believe us fans should continue our passionate support not because we owe it to him but because it's just plain common sense.

:clap:

If we were in the same position with a different manager we'd be starting to make lists of possible replacements. I reckon Steve Cotterill would be near the top of that list.

He's experienced, has contacts, has managed in the Championship before, including keeping Portsmouth up when they were an absolute basket case. He's what you would call a "safe pair of hands" and he'd be near the top of the list for any club in our position.

Therefore, the thing to do is to stick with him. I know there's a difference between coming in fresh and having 18 months in the job and new managers often produce an initial upturn in fortunes but these things cut both ways and he'll have other advantages from being here so long.

What he may need to do, if we're still struggling in a couple of months, is take a step back and approach the job as if he'd just been hired to fight a fire. His commitment to attacking football has been admiral and it may still come good, but if it doesn't do so soon then he should consider returning to the style of football he was previously known for: simple, direct, solid, effective. If he does that he should be able to keep us up and he can return to the attacking style next season after a summer of recruitment that simply cannot be as bad as the last one.

His position will be reviewed in December if we're still in the bottom three but could be sooner if we start to get tailed off at the bottom. I don't think SL could contemplate relegation and would feel he had to do something. If we're out of the bottom 3 in December then he must be given until the end of the season, with another transfer window to fix some of the problems.

My thoughts are that it is due to a poor summer recruitment and because we don't know the inside door knowledge on the approval of spending I would say all the management carry the blame including Cotts. times have changed in the Championship and it seems our Management regards player valuations did not happen until August 5th. All the management at BCFC should have their asses kicked.

Are you being serious ?

of course. Burnley didn't sack Dyche when he took them up and went down, why should we do the same with Cotterill.

i am soooo tired of instability and the soap opera of mangerial merry go rounds. Just back the guy in charge and stop winging - what happened in the summer is done, nothing can be done about it now, get over it and back the players we've got. What is playing the blame game going to achieve?

some of the team might be a bit raw still and lack experience in this league but none of them are shite, they are a young team with loads of potential what they don't need is a hard time when they marginally come up short sometimes, it's going to happen. 

Er, this is another bizarre topic on OTIB..

We are 1 point from 19th and 2 wins away from 14th or thereabouts.

Talk of doom and relegation battles and 'turning it around' are at this stage insanely premature. 

If we were cut adrift, this panicking may have some point, however at this stage, blimey. 

A win or draw vs Forest, will see us out of the relegation zone comfortably as not everyone will win or draw this weekend, and even if they were to, we'd still be a point or so within a decent position.Bolton and Preston have tough games and Rotherham and Brentford are playing each other

Madness!

Why is it bizarre to talk about "turning it around" when we are currently sitting bottom of the Championship, with a paper thin squad that has won just one match in 10?  Clearly that needs to change, which is exactly what is meant by "turning it around" - even if it does only require a couple of wins to do it.

I think I was quite clear in my opening post that I was not advocating the removal of Cotterill at this stage and was simply trying to gauge the patience of the fanbase, should the current poor form continue.  It is not "madness" or "panicking" to discuss this hypothetical prospect, it's a reasonable point for discussion.

Er, this is another bizarre topic on OTIB..

We are 1 point from 19th and 2 wins away from 14th or thereabouts.

Talk of doom and relegation battles and 'turning it around' are at this stage insanely premature. 

If we were cut adrift, this panicking may have some point, however at this stage, blimey. 

A win or draw vs Forest, will see us out of the relegation zone comfortably as not everyone will win or draw this weekend, and even if they were to, we'd still be a point or so within a decent position.Bolton and Preston have tough games and Rotherham and Brentford are playing each other

Madness!

Happy to bet you £20 that we go down this season

Archived