IGNORED

Pressure cooker ; can we stand the heat ?

Major Isewater

In our politically correct society where men are men and  also women , how can we let off steam if we can't do it at Football ?

The game used to be the one place where working class people could congregate , after a pint or two , to sing , shout , laugh and swear with their mates . 

A moment of communion that forged friendships and helped to make life more bearable.

Today's experience is so much different.

A sanitized, managed, spectacle where we are obliged to sit down , don't swear , don't come in the ground with your own flags, these can be purchased in the club shop, No smoking...

So Where do we go to let it all out ?

Major, very true post. Even as an Old Age Perisher, watching City has always enabled me to 'vent' my spleen and if this was to change in a major way we will have lost one of the few ways left to let off steam. I look at the old pictures of supporters in their regulation macs and hats and think that even though they were crowded together, the atmosphere was fantastic and above all else until the 70's there were NO problems. In answer to where do we go now ?......................I simply drive around Bristol and district till I find the latest place Bristol Water are digging up  causing traffic jams and vent it there !!

In our politically correct society where men are men and  also women , how can we let off steam if we can't do it at Football ?

The game used to be the one place where working class people could congregate , after a pint or two , to sing , shout , laugh and swear with their mates . 

A moment of communion that forged friendships and helped to make life more bearable.

A sanitized, managed, spectacle where we are obliged to sit down , don't swear , don't come in the ground with your own flags, these can be purchased in the club shop, No smoking...

At Non league....I see and hear everything you describe at FGR's most weeks. Bromley was an excellent example...no trouble....just swearing, singing, drinking, banter, laughing and the Lino and Ref getting heaps.

I recommend watching any non league for that reason...it makes going to League football tolerable.

Or if you're younger...just play the game....you get everything then ;-)

I think this is where safe-standing comes in to its own. The video on the Safe Standing thread illustrates this perfectly. They are doing it right in Germany. 

Effigies, mannequins, voodoo pins & baseball bats!!

(or maybe a damned good cry in the bathroom.. :laugh: )

No you're correct for years when working class usually meant manual labour, few real luxuries in most homes up til the 70"s, for kids, dads uncles and grandadds alike the basics of life were more or less mostly just that, basic. Football and club allegiance, & often the pub on the corner of the street, provided a valuable social relief from the everyday stressed of life, escapism and a sense of being 'in it together' .... a social communal 'pressure of life relief valve' if you like.

The emergence and eventually overly protective evolution of the nanny state, health & safety laws that gradually transformed from sublime and much needed commonsense practices into rediculous over the top all encompassing restrictive and stifling virtual lifestyle straitjacketted society... Well meaning, but like a runaway snowballing monster life and sterility has taken much fun and freedom out of life, the kind of pressure relief football in its working class heyday once provided... I kind of blame a fair bit of the 'street-crime',  boredom induced drug problems, and other 'modern social ills' of life on the very 'gentrification' , sterility ,  H & S conscious life we've been shepherded into... Symtoms and side effects of overly prescribed virtual society medication... 

Football used to provide the releases humans sometimes require and that doesn't mean 'boo-boys' etc they come about through the frustrations and boredom created by the social engineering remedies and increasing regulatory activites being experienced at the time..and continuing ever since. Well intentioned but often bad medicine with predictable but unexpected side effects - people have always needed vents, football used to be one of them ... controlled sterility has brought its own problems without a doubt.

(God, I didn't realise just how frustrated I am til now! ;))

....how we all must long for the days of the teenage yobbo, mods/rockers,scooters/bikers, "City or Rovers?"days! instead of today's street gang drug fuelled fire-armed money orientated shit.

Bring back the affordable  "City or Rovers?' days of mostly good natured with a bit of needle banter.. We didn't realise at the time how good those good old bad old days were.

Go on an anger management course or visit a psychiatrist?

i was n't referring necessarily to  anger just the need to let it all go .

We are living in a nanny state, followed by computer software that details our every move , what we buy , where we've been , who we talk to and videoed every time we step out side our front doors.

I'm talking of the desire to exist beyond being just a " consumer " . The envy to just to be free . To sing and shout , curse a shit decision and for just a tiny part of ones life not to have to  tow the line.

Football used to be that . For all the bad behaviour, the terrible facilities and the danger , the adrenalin flowed and regardless of the score a certain peace reigned in the soul after the event.

Where do we go now ?

Effigies, mannequins, voodoo pins & baseball bats!!

(or maybe a damned good cry in the bathroom.. :laugh: )

No you're correct for years when working class usually meant manual labour, few real luxuries in most homes up til the 70"s, for kids, dads uncles and grandadds alike the basics of life were more or less mostly just that, basic. Football and club allegiance, & often the pub on the corner of the street, provided a valuable social relief from the everyday stressed of life, escapism and a sense of being 'in it together' .... a social communal 'pressure of life relief valve' if you like.

The emergence and eventually overly protective evolution of the nanny state, health & safety laws that gradually transformed from sublime and much needed commonsense practices into rediculous over the top all encompassing restrictive and stifling virtual lifestyle straitjacketted society... Well meaning, but like a runaway snowballing monster life and sterility has taken much fun and freedom out of life, the kind of pressure relief football in its working class heyday once provided... I kind of blame a fair bit of the 'street-crime',  boredom induced drug problems, and other 'modern social ills' of life on the very 'gentrification' , sterility ,  H & S conscious life we've been shepherded into... Symtoms and side effects of overly prescribed virtual society medication... 

Football used to provide the releases humans sometimes require and that doesn't mean 'boo-boys' etc they come about through the frustrations and boredom created by the social engineering remedies and increasing regulatory activites being experienced at the time..and continuing ever since. Well intentioned but often bad medicine with predictable but unexpected side effects - people have always needed vents, football used to be one of them ... controlled sterility has brought its own problems without a doubt.

(God, I didn't realise just how frustrated I am til now! ;))

....how we all must long for the days of the teenage yobbo, mods/rockers,scooters/bikers, "City or Rovers?"days! instead of today's street gang drug fuelled fire-armed money orientated shit.

Bring back the affordable  "City or Rovers?' days of mostly good natured with a bit of needle banter.. We didn't realise at the time how good those good old bad old days were.

I agree with the meaning of your post...and I do believe we've become a nanny state, led by H&S and regulation.

However...a lot of this has come about by peoples inability to behave properly in public.

I'm all for banter, swearing, singing, chanting, drinking etc....but too many have to take it too far. They never think of others, purely themselves. We've become a society of selfish people. Who blame everyone....bar themselves for their actions.

Schools, Governments, work, the state etc,etc....all get blamed....never themselves.

Other societies drink and have fun without having to resort to violence or taking things too far...no where is perfect....but we have far too many idiots in our society.

I never feel the need to let off steam.  

You wouldnt though would you Daisy? . ..  Your just a diesel!!

You've never really been one of us like Percy and me and the rest of us real engines.

The  Fat-Controller likes us proper engines too and likes to see us letting off steam, so there, you're the odd ones out ..bloody diesels coming over here and nickin' our jobs!

From Thomas 

I agree with the meaning of your post...and I do believe we've become a nanny state, led by H&S and regulation.

However...a lot of this has come about by peoples inability to behave properly in public.

I'm all for banter, swearing, singing, chanting, drinking etc....but too many have to take it too far. They never think of others, purely themselves. We've become a society of selfish people. Who blame everyone....bar themselves for their actions.

Schools, Governments, work, the state etc,etc....all get blamed....never themselves.

Other societies drink and have fun without having to resort to violence or taking things too far...no where is perfect....but we have far too many idiots in our society.

And why do we have so many 'idiots in our society " ?

I suspect a fair few let off steam down town on a Friday/Saturday night. Personally, I just let my neighbours tyres down and order pizzas for random strangers.

And why do we have so many 'idiots in our society " ?

Imho, a combination of things....poor parenting, lack of respect, lack of discipline, not willing to listen and be educated.

Exacerbated, by a dumbing down of society through media and TV.

You get rewarded it seems these days for being dumb, uneducated and talentless.

Plus you get paid, if you so wish, to sit around in a lazy state, watching shit TV, smoking dope to 'ease the pain', and drink cheap lager and cider.

No drive...no desire to better oneself...no self respect.

Having witnessed poverty first hand in such places as India and Sri Lanka...and seen people walking to rivers to wash, and have no food on a daily basis....I still witnessed respect, and good social behaviour and a willingness to learn, be educated, and better ones self.

It's not needed here....if you don't want it. It's a choice....their it is life threatening.

Many are soft and lazy...and want everything given.

If you don't work....you should be paid to do a National service of sorts...not sit on your backside watching tv.

Pretty much everything we pay our council tax for, could be done by people on the dole....they would get some self respect back as well.

Anyway....rant over....could go on ;-)

Archived