IGNORED

Jacking it in for non-league

Vincent Vega

I watched a few Bideford Town games a few years ago as the wife's uncle was on the board. Really, really enjoyed the experience: abusing the opposition players and the officials from mere feet away was fun, as was getting royally rat arsed after the game in the clubhouse with the players. Games vs Barnstaple Town were especially tasty affairs. Supporting Bideford was also made easier as they play in red and are nicknamed The Robins.

Mate of mine is a big Sunderland fan who really wants them to go down so they get a chance of winning something at a different level.

I'd love for City one day to get to the Prem even if for just 1 season- but I wouldn't enjoy a tedious relegation battle every season. 

I didn't think I'd enjoy L1 but I did enjoy the fact that as one of the bigger clubs, we had a great chance to do well. There's something about lower leagues which feel more real and more like proper football. Which is why I get  someone could prefer following non league and why I'll remain season ticket holder next season whatever the level.

On the few occasions I've been to non-league games there is normally a real sense of community tat you just don't get in the same way at city. Completely understand anyone who decides to support a non-league team as football is turning in this country like an old pint of milk. The milk can be saved and turned into cheese, but until some drastic happens, it'll just stink the house out.

I go and watch Weston Super Mare now and again and find it a good experience and the clubhouse is good for a pint as well. Good grass roots football. I think that after watching City for nearly 60 years now, I agree with MRR. Also used to go to Plainmoor with my elderly uncle ( now sadly passed away 10 years ago) and enjoyed the atmosphere as Torquay were a club you knew were never going too far and escaping relegation yearly was a major achievement.

I've been to see one of my local teams Scarborough Athletic play a few times (the Phoenix club of Scarborough FC). They also play in red & I like the fact their badge looks a little like our ball & bridge badge. It's great to see virtually everyone in the ground cram into the bar afterwards! They had to move out of the McCain Stadium (which has since been bulldozed) & are now exiled 25 miles away in Bridlington, so there's a real sense of togetherness, trying to get a new ground back in their hometown. Plus, you can sneak a pint onto the terracing.

Bristol Manor farm have a good scheme where its half price if you are a season ticket holder at either City or  Rovers, and half price if you go by train (must show ticket to sea mills for that day). Don't think you can use both offers together, but considering a ticket is only about £6 anyway and that line is very cheap, you can get to the game and back for about £5 total cost.

Bristol Manor farm have a good scheme where its half price if you are a season ticket holder at either City or  Rovers, and half price if you go by train (must show ticket to sea mills for that day). Don't think you can use both offers together, but considering a ticket is only about £6 anyway and that line is very cheap, you can get to the game and back for about £5 total cost.

Same with FGR's....half price with any Football League season ticket.

I love a bit of non league footy, Bath have been my 2nd team for many years as a good mate of mine from school was a big fan and i used to go with him. Always great banter for so many reasons. A couple of seasons ago i followed Hampton & Richmond in the FA Cup watching a home game against Ashford and then their away defeat in the 4th Round Qual against Glos City @ Whaddon Rd. Great value banter and you know the guys on the pitch really want it as well. I can really see myself getting disillusioned with the modern game/City within the next few years...

On the few occasions I've been to non-league games there is normally a real sense of community tat you just don't get in the same way at city. Completely understand anyone who decides to support a non-league team as football is turning in this country like an old pint of milk. The milk can be saved and turned into cheese, but until some drastic happens, it'll just stink the house out.

hows the acting going eric?

youre great in the lager advert

Local team Sailsbury FC.  Cost me nothing to attend as long as i help serve some tea.  Great day out.  Reminds me of the Bristol City experience when i was a lad.  Not many there, 650, but every one is well into it.  Results have been excellent as well.  Its not always great to watch.  Ha and Steve Claridge is the manager.  Didn't like him based on judging him from the telly and radio, but he is a really sound bloke.  Said it on other threads.  Lost a lot interest this season once we started bidding daft money for players, reaching out for the prem like some obsessed stared eyed love child.  I dislike the prem and all it stands for.  Should we get there, i will not have any interest at all. 

Archived