IGNORED

Fitting in the loanees

old_eastender

EDIT: In reply to Major Isewater:

Hopefully I've made it plain I share that view.

BR will be 23 next birthday, so just how long do you give a player to become the 'finished article' and realise 'potential'?

Gerry Gow was consistently holding his own in this division - and it was much more physical then - at 17/18, and visibly improved every season.

Bobby's had numerous false starts to break into the first team before. He's now at a relatively advanced age where he'll have to prove himself beyond doubt this season as an effective and reliable 90 minute player or there is every likelihood his contract will be not renewed imo.

One or two champagne moments per match, impressive as they may be, will not be enough.

I'm in agreement totally ,he must prove he merits his place in the starting line up . I just think that most of our youngsters have had a really tough time of it with the upheavals at the club over the last five or so years .

It's a miracle that Joe Bryan has got to be a regular . I believe that Reid's progress has been stunted and hope he comes good here and not at one of our competitors.

Wes is another who needs a big season or else he might  feel the need to go elsewhere to develop his career and who could blame him ?

Bennett will be used in Little's position.

He's been used at RB and RWB before at Norwich.

Can't see SC changing formation.

Can see Cox playing in competition for Freemans position or Wilbs depending on how we want to play that day.

Bennett also played LB for Brighton for a little bit too if I remember correctly.

EDIT: In reply to Major Isewater:

Hopefully I've made it plain I share that view.

BR will be 23 next birthday, so just how long do you give a player to become the 'finished article' and realise 'potential'?

Gerry Gow was consistently holding his own in this division - and it was much more physical then - at 17/18, and visibly improved every season.

Bobby's had numerous false starts to break into the first team before. He's now at a relatively advanced age where he'll have to prove himself beyond doubt this season as an effective and reliable 90 minute player or there is every likelihood his contract will be not renewed imo.

One or two champagne moments per match, impressive as they may be, will not be enough.

Miroslav Klose was a brick layer until he was 20. Very few make it in the team before 20 and then keep their place for a considerable amount of time. I'd say depending on the circumstances 25 is roughly when you can guess that they're not going to suddenly improve too much. But then again Drogba went to chelsea when he was 26 and look how much better he became. 

Whilst he threatens to realise it and is not costing us in matches he's worth persevering with imo. I don't think it really matters how many years pass by or how old he gets, he's already shown to be a useful addition to the squad at least. 

That's an interesting way of looking at it, and in some ways I wouldn't argue.

Given though that ciderbeans made a comparison with Jet above, a long term squad/impact player, whose contribution isn't seen as consistent or vital, is unlikely to get that luxury under SC, even if his wages may bear no comparison with Jet's.

If he doesn't make the breakthrough this season would he be awarded a new contract to take him up to his mid. 20's with the real possibility he'll still only be an intermittent starter at the end of it? 

I can't see such almost unheard of patience - well, maybe James Wilson - being seen as a wise, or likely, use of wages at any club. Surely better spent on freeing up a squad place for the next Academy graduate seen as having similar great potential at a young age, and a better prospect of realising it - Morrell for instance?

If Cotterill goes - new manager always likely re- evaluate individuals and state he'll give existing players a fresh chance - or if City go down this season to a division BR is more likely to be a regular, his prospects of another contract are boosted imo.

Not to say Cotts. won't recommend one anyway, he might be convinced already, but it seems to me more likely BR needs to make an indelible mark on the first team now.

Think he was being ironic in a Matt Smith kind of way.

Exactly. Of course I am hoping both will emulate Matt Smith and we will soar up the table. All I was saying is I doubt these are the kind of signings SC envisaged at the start of the summer. Just shows how far he has had to lower his (and my) expectations. 

If you were intending to hurt or criticise our manager by the mocking remarks then you are being sarcastic Robin not ironic. But noted on the thrust of what you meant even if i disagree with it; ie the first part 'smacks of desperation' - I don't think this is a desperate move at all. Its late, nobody doubts that, but Steve has said over and over he will only bring players in that improve what he has when he can get them.. at any point, therefore, any new arrival is surely not desperation is it?

If you were intending to hurt or criticise our manager by the mocking remarks then you are being sarcastic Robin not ironic.

I'm not particularly talking about the manager. It is the club as a whole that has failed to recruit permanent players, leaving us to pick from those who basically can't get in other sides. Unlike last year when we pinched other team's best we are now searching around for those they want to offload. No idea how much part SC had to play in this. I am sure he didn't want to be here any more than we did.

I'm not particularly talking about the manager. It is the club as a whole that has failed to recruit permanent players, leaving us to pick from those who basically can't get in other sides. Unlike last year when we pinched other team's best we are now searching around for those they want to offload. No idea how much part SC had to play in this. I am sure he didn't want to be here any more than we did.

OK noted.

Archived