IGNORED

Arise Sir Stephen of Ashton

Lord Northski

It hasn't happened yet, but given that he, together with another set up a business in a spare room in Bristol that now employs nearly 900 mainly local people. He spends his time and money supporting all types of local sports football, rugby, basketball etc. All of which are for the benefit of the local people. The money spent is virtually a gift to the people of the City, given that he's never likely to see it back.

I reckon that's a pretty astonishingly generous gift to the people of Bristol and thoroughly deserving of a knighthood in my eyes. 

No from me, as soon as you bestow any such nonsense on any individual it seems to go pear shaped. Particularly dislike sports people who are titled, Sir Ian Botham is my hero, but without the Sir stigma.

Beefy was awarded his knighthood not because of his cricketing ability but through his charity walks. He raised millions largely for children's charities. 

Sports players tend to get MBEs and the like unless they win Olympic golds more than once like Steve Redgrave, Chris Hoy and folks like that. Others like Botham get the Sir for charity stuff. Odd exception like Bobby Charlton but I suspect that was more for what he`s done since the World Cup. Is Geoff Hurst a sir though?

Sports players tend to get MBEs and the like unless they win Olympic golds more than once like Steve Redgrave, Chris Hoy and folks like that. Others like Botham get the Sir for charity stuff. Odd exception like Bobby Charlton but I suspect that was more for what he`s done since the World Cup. Is Geoff Hurst a sir though?

Are you from Ulster?

He sure is

I would suggest the fact he is a tax exile pretty much rules out a knighthood or any other gong.

Peversely- it doesn't if you're shovelling loads of dosh into a political party of choice. SL happily stays away from all that. He is a tax exile because he chooses to be and a benefactor of sport in Bristol because he can afford it.

But I think that the  OP has confused the passion of a very wealthy man with some form of altruism.

Steve has never claimed that he's doing what he does for some sort of charitable reasons nor has ever sought thanks and praise for what he does.

Thread closed.:fear: 

Not in this case. It`s the title of a 90`s Nick Cave song so couldn`t really be further from the other imagery really. I did think someone might make the connection you did before picking it so I`m glad to put it straight. If anything I`d qualify for the republic through my granny - if I could actually kick a ball that is!

Traditionally football clubs did tend to be owned by local businessmen and were invested in as a way of giving something back to the communities, some clubs were even born out of local businesses - West Ham being an example that springs to mind.  It was a way of giving blokes working long hours in poor conditions escapism from their shit lives.  Football clubs weren't perceived as a business but a charity and a way of bolsterering your status.

Steve Landsdown is walking a well-trodden path in some ways.  He's just rather more minted than traditional owners, living in an age that has raped football's soul and our lives are nothing like as shit as many of our forefathers.

I view his exile as a form of tax re-distribution, what he keeps from that**** George Osborne he gives to us, the people. 

Probably shouldn't be saying this, but I've had a few too many pale ales.....

Steve's partner Peter Hargreaves is one of the worst human beings I've had the misfortune to meet. A cross between Arkright, Jeremy Clarkson and Ebenezer Scrooge.

Steve's a good bloke though :-)

Beefy was awarded his knighthood not because of his cricketing ability but through his charity walks. He raised millions largely for children's charities. 

That Tuesday way back when, and also the Monday evening when  he smashed the ball around after we were seven down and following on, facing an innings defeat. then enter Bob Willis.... will remain for me as the greatest sporting moment I have witnessed, and I have seen us win the World Cup in '66 as a young airmen squeezed into  a packed TV room.

Nothing can surpass that, thus far.

Not in this case. It`s the title of a 90`s Nick Cave song so couldn`t really be further from the other imagery really. I did think someone might make the connection you did before picking it so I`m glad to put it straight. If anything I`d qualify for the republic through my granny - if I could actually kick a ball that is!

Red right hand comes from Miltons "paradise lost". Clever people think it refers to the hand of God which is pretty much behind the troubles in NI. No surprise the UVF used it as their symbol. 

The Nick Cave song is the theme music to Peaky Blinders on the BBC. That's all about Brummie/Irish immigrants gangsters in post WW1.

Red right hand comes from Miltons "paradise lost". Clever people think it refers to the hand of God which is pretty much behind the troubles in NI. No surprise the UVF used it as their symbol. 

The Nick Cave song is the theme music to Peaky Blinders on the BBC. That's all about Brummie/Irish immigrants gangsters in post WW1.

Never watched it so didn`t know that. Top and bottom of it is I think it`s a bloody good track irrespective of  any connections that may be attributed to it and that`s why I picked it. There is nothing political/religious at work here believe me.

That Tuesday way back when, and also the Monday evening when  he smashed the ball around after we were seven down and following on, facing an innings defeat. then enter Bob Willis.... will remain for me as the greatest sporting moment I have witnessed, and I have seen us win the World Cup in '66 as a young airmen squeezed into  a packed TV room.

Nothing can surpass that, thus far.

Bob Willis 8 for 43 - charging down the hill like a madman, I was watching it in a hotel in Inverness, great, great memories!

It hasn't happened yet, but given that he, together with another set up a business in a spare room in Bristol that now employs nearly 900 mainly local people. He spends his time and money supporting all types of local sports football, rugby, basketball etc. All of which are for the benefit of the local people. The money spent is virtually a gift to the people of the City, given that he's never likely to see it back.

I reckon that's a pretty astonishingly generous gift to the people of Bristol and thoroughly deserving of a knighthood in my eyes. 

If he gave to charities nd other such initiatives (he may do, i don't know)  then yes, but he is investing in professional sport, this suggests to me he is after adulation....not the motive needed for a knighthood imo.  he is looking to build a legacy and be loved....not knighthood material in my mind

Archived