IGNORED

Gibraltar - a promising future?

tomhbcfc

The international break is upon us, which means no City matches :(. In the meantime I have written a piece on Gibraltar, who I have been watching this campaign, and tried to relate it to City - with a couple of potential signings thrown in.

If you are having a boring Sunday, I hope this can add a bit of interest https://bristolcitytom.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/gibraltar-a-promising-future/

Good article.

Having watched a fair bit of them in qualifying I have to say none of their players are anywhere near good enough for us.

Bar the two who actually play in the football league (one is ex-Preston now at Scunny, the other North of the river)  only Walker and the left back look to be even league standard to me and neither of them are better than League One at best.

Maybe in the longer term with greater international experience they might have a Championship standard player, but not at present.

Countries like that should have to qualify to get into these qualifying groups. Sick of rubbish like San Marino who are actually getting worse not any better.

Factually incorrect.

San Marino drew with Estonia two games ago, if they are "getting worse" how have they just earned their first point?

Factually incorrect.

San Marino drew with Estonia two games ago, if they are "getting worse" how have they just earned their first point?

oh come on seriously? It wouldn't so bad if they actually had a go but they just stick everyone behind the ball. That obviously says more about Estonia. 

This has been debated as long as I can remember. Back in the days before the break up of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia I think goals scored against these lesser teams didn`t even count for goal difference. The reason was that, if you only had five team groups and the top two either qualified automatically or for a playoff, it often came down to who`d scored more goals against Andorra or whoever.

The argument for allowing them in without prequalifying is that they won`t get any better if they never play against better opposition. I suppose you could argue that, if prequalifying had been introduced say 20 years ago, the likes of Norn Iron, Iceland, Wales and Albania would probably have been included and they have just all qualified by right so must have improved in that period. The biggest problem in my opinion is how huge and unwieldy the whole euro qualifying has become with all the new nations but haven`t a clue what you do about that.

This has been debated as long as I can remember. Back in the days before the break up of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia I think goals scored against these lesser teams didn`t even count for goal difference. The reason was that, if you only had five team groups and the top two either qualified automatically or for a playoff, it often came down to who`d scored more goals against Andorra or whoever.

The argument for allowing them in without prequalifying is that they won`t get any better if they never play against better opposition. I suppose you could argue that, if prequalifying had been introduced say 20 years ago, the likes of Norn Iron, Iceland, Wales and Albania would probably have been included and they have just all qualified by right so must have improved in that period. The biggest problem in my opinion is how huge and unwieldy the whole euro qualifying has become with all the new nations but haven`t a clue what you do about that.

let them have there own tournament.

Countries like that should have to qualify to get into these qualifying groups

I tend to agree with you.

stop watching them if they annoy you so much! 

England v Minnow? Harsh. The guy has a point a very valid one shared by a lot of people in and out of the game. Even though Roy Hodgson says it is NOT easier to get an England cap these days he is wrong. It is and this is one of the main reasons for it.

let them have there own tournament.

Quite right and contrary to what Red Right Hand said I think that by playing each other they will improve more because they know they have a chance of winning.. if they put a tournament of two groups of 5 together with the top 2 in each qualifying it gives a great incentive and will improve their standard quicker than having a meaningless boot about every 4 years and being usually slaughtered in the process.. what does that do for progress? Not a lot in my book.

Here are your two groups: Gibraltar, San Marino, Andorra, Monaco (Get em in), Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Faroe Islands, Greenland (get em in too - if we can have 4 teams why can Denmark not have one more?), Transdenistra (you know that unrecognised rump on the east side of Moldova), Vatican City and if they find it blasphemous you could always invite Scotland.. they are totally shite these days and it might do them good.

Sorted :).

In answer to the OP's question: No. Will they improve though? Yes... but its all relative. Next time they might score 4 goals and concede 40 that is an improvement and a substantial one. But its not at all promising is it in the scheme of things. Ask the same question in 40 years and they might scrape a draw somewhere.

But its all a catch 22 isn't it, playing the teams now gives the players a little experience but is unlikely to make them any better down the line. Its like the downs league player who got called up for a pacific nation(?), at the end of his career he'll still be a downs league player but he might have a few photos to add to his memories.

What these FAs really need is more money so they can invest it in youth development and coaching, you won't get that in a minnows cup i'm afraid. Tv deals means they would get more money competing in the big tournaments losing to the big teams then they'll ever get from playing and even winning a small tournament.

Factually incorrect.

Actually, I saw this game and Estonia were not much better than them on the day.  I have watched nearly all of Estonia's home games since I moved here 6 years ago and despite changes of managers, they have not improved at all. In fact I think they have got worse, as the midfield is practically only run by one player and their strikers are not up to International standard.  The only good thing is that the defence has improved slightly, with a younger and better goalie, although his kicking is not good, his shot stopping is better than the old goalie.

Archived