IGNORED

RIP Howard Kendall

BRISTOL86

Fantastic manager, Everton legend, his '85 side (all British) was a brilliant one.

RIP.

Indeed it was. If it wasn't for the Heysel disaster and subsequent ban on English clubs, I'm sure they would've won the European Cup.  He could've gone on to be thought of in the same terms as Clough.  

Great player, great manager, Everton legend, a proper one. Treated his players like adults and human beings and got the best out of them, and some.

What a team he had in the mid-80s, you can always tell a team that will never be forgotten when most football fans, wherever they are, can name the starting line-up 1 to 11, and he had a few of those.

Great contribution to our game, RIP Howard...

Echo the comments of earlier posters.  Great player, even greater manager.

I read elsewhere that his passing means that there are only 2 living Englishmen who have managed a 1st division or Premier League title winning team.

Howard Wilkinson won the last first division before it became the Premier and he's still with us isn't he? No English manager has won the Premier League. Who's the second living Englishman to have managed a first div/prem winning team? 

The reason that Everton are my 'second' team is that my Grandma supported them. She died a few weeks before the 1984 F.A Cup Final, which of course resulted in the first trophy for Kendall's Everton and heralded the start of the greatest Everton side ever. It was such a shame that she couldn't have stayed around for a few more years or even weeks to witness it with us. I hope that she can now get to thank the man herself. Thank you Mr. Kendall. RIP from a heartbroken bluenose. x

Archived