IGNORED

who was the best?

stephenkibby.

Liam Brady and Ossie Ardiles both stood out a mile in our Top Flight Days, but best performance I can recall was Stan Collimore who single handedly blitzed us for Forest in a second tier game in perhaps 1990 . 

I remember that, was it 2-5 or something? He was an awesome player then!

Viv Richards 1980 (Floodlit cricket match...:P)

Seriously though, wasnt too interested in the opposition back in the old First Division days....but stand out performance was Gary Shaw, scoring a hattrick in a 1-3 defeat v Villa.

What a shame he suffered career ending knee injuries.

Liked watching Peter Barnes in his prime, there were a lot of good players mid 70s. Tackled hard, no diving, icy pitches, it's a very different game now. Those who stood out for me were Hoddle, Brady, Keegan, Dalgleish, most of the Leeds team, Ipswich were tidy then too...the list goes on. 

Liam Brady and Ossie Ardiles both stood out a mile in our Top Flight Days, but best performance I can recall was Stan Collimore who single handedly blitzed us for Forest in a second tier game in perhaps 1990 . 

The most outstanding performance I can remember was Spurs at AG on a rock hard frozen pitch. Most players had a job to stand, BUT Ricky Villia just glided over the surface, un believable. 0-0 (never be played now ) .

I can just about remember watching Stanley Mathews playing for Blackpool v City in the F A Cup in 1959. Can't remember much about the match, or him, other than he was still lively even though he was over 40. 

The most outstanding performance I can remember was Spurs at AG on a rock hard frozen pitch. Most players had a job to stand, BUT Ricky Villia just glided over the surface, un believable. 0-0 (never be played now ) .

I can remember Gerry Gow spending the entire match trying to kick him, but he couldn't get close. 

Kazimierz Deyna, Man City and Poland, Ricky Villa Tottenham and Argentina, gave the best two midfield performances I've ever seen live.

The former who was in the Poland side who finished third in the World Cup sadly died in a car crash in the U.S. in the late 80s, but he was some player.

Thought they won 3-1?

That was the performance I mentioned above..

And as he was tall and a bit gangly it came as a bit of a surprise that he was the only player to adapt, and not only that looked total class.

Liam Brady ran the show when Arsenal beat us 0-1 at the Gate 79-80 season. 

Stan Bowles always seemed to do well against us, although he was not too impressed when he broke his leg and ended up being treated on a stretcher in the car park. "all they know about down here is pig farming" was his comment in the national papers, no doubt bemused by all the west country accents wishing him well as fans streamed out after the game probably as surprised to see him there as he was to be there!

Will also never forget seeing Pat Jennings for Spurs, I have never seen any other keeper go up for the ball in a ruck of players from a corner and just catch it with one bloody great big hand.

On the flip side, the biggest no-show was new signing Malcolm McDonald on the opening day at Highbury in1976, just cost £333,333 from Newcastle, totally anonymous and upstaged by our £30,000 signing from Norwich, Paul Cheesely.

ian brown. Iirc. Best player at the gate. Shall have a think etoo asprilla come to mind 

Ian Brown's only goal for us was against Wolves I think, Rob Edwards definitely scored for us in the 1-4 v Forest. My memory must be getting dodgy though because I could have sworn Collymore got a hat trick that day, but he only got two...here it is again:

http://youtu.be/skoQQ4TRu2s

Archived