IGNORED

who was the best?

stephenkibby.

I would be surprised if that was the case on both parts. I wouldn't drop Freeman, probably the most talent player in our squad! Granted he's been off the place the last couple games but so have everybody else.

Also Korey Smith should be back.

I'm not normally one to compliment the man in black, but I thought last nights ref was the best I've seen down the Gate in years. I know that's not saying much, but he let the game flow, tried to play advantage as much as possible and kept total control.  I'd have him every week based on that performance,  hopefully the FA will clone him and sack the rest of the inept muppets we usually have to suffer

Agree with lots of names being put forward from the late 70's, but remember being mesmerised by David Platt in the 80's one year ... think it was one of the few games where I spent a significant amount of time watching a player off the ball, seeing how they read the play and made sure they were always in the right place - he must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch that day!

Stretching the criteria of the original question a bit, but moments like clapping off Dion Dublin in his last season was a special moment when City fans showed class recognising class....

...respect for Dublin started for many of us back in 1990 at Cambridge ..... He was head and shoulders above us in the FA Cup 5th Round (2nd leg 2nd replay?)  when eventually ripping us a new one in that shock 5-1 defeat at their place... (Previous rounds we'd beaten Barnet, Fulham, Swindon ..then famously thrashed CHELSEA 3-1 in the fourth round at the Gate) thought at last this could be our Cup year.. Cambridge in 5th (no probs thinks us ;)) ....then along comes this Dublin bloke with a girly sounding first  name - pure class that night and we all knew he was gonna go on to be something special.

and the rest is history.. 

Agree with lots of names being put forward from the late 70's, but remember being mesmerised by David Platt in the 80's one year ... think it was one of the few games where I spent a significant amount of time watching a player off the ball, seeing how they read the play and made sure they were always in the right place - he must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch that day!

My old man played and managed at a high level , when I manage to drag him to Ashton Gate he will just watch one player , on and off the ball . Luke Freeman is a player he rates very highly of the current team , players he's rated in the past have been Cole Skuse, Rob Newman and the short central midfield player in 89/90 promotion season whose name escapes me , but he was also a good cricketer !

My old man played and managed at a high level , when I manage to drag him to Ashton Gate he will just watch one player , on and off the ball . Luke Freeman is a player he rates very highly of the current team , players he's rated in the past have been Cole Skuse, Rob Newman and the short central midfield player in 89/90 promotion season whose name escapes me , but he was also a good cricketer !

Gary Shelton I guess you mean :)

Fantastic player - smashing fella and one of my favouritesi

and swapped for a England manager !

That's true mate, I marked David Lee in a game after he had left Chelsea and put on loads of weight. But his first touch, general awareness and positional sense were unbelievable. I was also up against Howard Pritchard and Gerry Sweeney in a match about 10 years ago. My God, Sweeney's fitness was unbelievable and Howard still had the skills.

And I played a whole season alongside Peter Aitken for an amateur team, he just made every opposing team look very ordinary and ran the show week in week out. Outstanding.

You're spot on, ex pros can make us mere mortals look stupid on a football pitch with consummate ease!

I once played against Graham Roberts, the former Spurs enforcer and he had lost none of his petulance. Didn't like it up 'im!

I also played againd Dwayne Plummer and Dominic Barclay as young 'uns and they were conversely easily played off the park with a couple of early reducers.

May ?  

That's true mate, I marked David Lee in a game after he had left Chelsea and put on loads of weight. But his first touch, general awareness and positional sense were unbelievable. I was also up against Howard Pritchard and Gerry Sweeney in a match about 10 years ago. My God, Sweeney's fitness was unbelievable and Howard still had the skills.

And I played a whole season alongside Peter Aitken for an amateur team, he just made every opposing team look very ordinary and ran the show week in week out. Outstanding.

You're spot on, ex pros can make us mere mortals look stupid on a football pitch with consummate ease!

In the early 90s I played County league football at East Grinstead. 

At the end of the season Palace sent a team to play us in a charity match for the Queen Elizabeth Hospital ( home to the 2nd world war RAF Guinea Pigs for the old uns among you).Kember was the manager and played, along with Vince Hilaire and Kevin Mabbutt among others. Our pitch was rock hard Sussex clay and was like playing on corrugated sheeting but they pinged it around  with no problems and we couldn't get close to them. That's when you realise just how good pro footballers really are.

On subject of old pros

Had the privilege to get to know and 'play' with Eddie Gray

Ran a summer coaching school for him and Ian St John in 90s 

St John was a miserable b******d but Eddie Gray was a sheer delight and used to come down for the day with the kids which was rounded off with a in staff match with Mr Gray , by then in his mid 40s just incredible to watch him manipulate a ball and turn you into a human knot !!!!!!

Was very humble and some of his stories from Leeds and Scotland in 70s were hilarious 

I can just about remember watching Stanley Mathews playing for Blackpool v City in the F A Cup in 1959. Can't remember much about the match, or him, other than he was still lively even though he was over 40. 

My Dad told me about that game. Sir Stan struggled against City's full backs because he had never seen them before and didn't know how they'd play. Despite that and as you say, his performance still stood out.

I seem to recall a game at Ashton Gate (coca cola cup I think) against Keegan's Newcastle when they had Les Ferdinand up front.

They totally outplayed us and Ferdinand stood out for me, especially with his great leap that he had.

yep - they were 3 or 4 up after about 20 - 25 mins if I recall !!!!

Archived