IGNORED

Flint

MC RISK77

Awful tonight and average all season....I thought he was fantastic last season and my player of season after freeman but was that his level?

many thought he would be very good in this league so I hope it's just a general confidence issue and we see him back to his commanding best soon, but I thought baldock had his number all night

Many teams last season didn't have the quality to individually expose Flint, this season there are better, quicker strikers who have that ability. More teams tried attacking us aerially last season and Flint's dominance showed. While Flint hasn't shown too much dominance this season, average is harsh.

Awful tonight and average all season....I thought he was fantastic last season and my player of season after freeman but was that his level?

many thought he would be very good in this league so I hope it's just a general confidence issue and we see him back to his commanding best soon, but I thought baldock had his number all night

how many matches have you been to this season?

Average all season... Sorry this doesn't debate your point in much detail but that's incredibly harsh.

I disagree.

He has had some crackers such as Burnley, however he has also been fault for a few goals at set pieces and he hasn't be the attacking threat of last season either. 

I don't know how people can say he's been better than the average championship defender this year. 

I disagree.

He has had some crackers such as Burnley, however he has also been fault for a few goals at set pieces and he hasn't be the attacking threat of last season either. 

I don't know how people can say he's been better than the average championship defender this year. 

We haven't defended set pieces well as a team, but he was never going to get 15 goals this year. To say he's been average 'all season' is to say he hasn't performed at any point, which just isn't true. You'd have to have a short memory to even argue it, since he played well on Friday night for a start.

We haven't defended set pieces well as a team, but he was never going to get 15 goals this year. To say he's been average 'all season' is to say he hasn't performed at any point, which just isn't true. You'd have to have a short memory to even argue it, since he played well on Friday night for a start.

To me, average means middle of the year. Not the best, not the worse. And in my opinion Flint has been that this season. He's had good games, he's had bad games.

Yes he's performed well at times, but by saying he's been better than average you're forgetting his poor games such as tonight. 

We all know he isn't going to get 15 goals this year, but he should of probably scored two or three more from the chances we've made, and probably saved us a goal or two from set pieces. This is a forum and when can critisise players when the time is right, and I think Aden will admit he could of been better at times. 

Love flint and would agree he was great last season. Its also a fair judgment to suggest he has been average. Some fair points made about his aerial threat and at times lack of pace. Everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it but as far as our back three/four go he's not been one to single out and criticise or praise. I'd give him a 7 out of 10. Williams a 3.

• Admin

To saw he's been awful is nonsense though.

NOBODY has said he has been awful !!

The comments were that he has been average . . . .

Got shockingly caught out in the move that led to Ayling clearing off the line, but I don't think we can expect MOTM performances each week from someone who is still finding his feet at this level, we need to remember it wasn't that lot ago in his career that he was playing non league.

We only have to think of his first season with us, he wasn't that great but last season was immense! He'll come good !

having been to the game tonight how do you pick flint out for a bad game?? One sloppy pass at the back? Shut up and get behind your team like your meant too!

It's all about perceptions though isn't it, what some people perceive to be a 10/10 game another might see as a 4/10 - that's the nature of football. People are allowed to debate performance on a forum without being accused of not "getting behind the team".

It's all about perceptions though isn't it, what some people perceive to be a 10/10 game another might see as a 4/10 - that's the nature of football. People are allowed to debate performance on a forum without being accused of not "getting behind the team".

And I'll add to that fella, if I may :-).... the OP is in fact 'getting behind the team'....as he has taken time, and is interested enough to write a post about his concerns about a player....therefore showing interest. Constructive criticism.... because he wants the best for his team.

Blindly supporting whatever is front of you....is not.

As for his point...I'll not nit pick and be pedantic as many do...and see it in the 'gist' of what he's saying.

I agree....Flint looks down on confidence....his body language at games shows that.

You can tell when a player like Flint is down on confidence or doubting their ability....they start to give defenders more room, as he knows he doesn't have the pace and at corners he's not been 'attacking' the ball like he did last season.

Problem with playing three at the back....if you are slow and up against someone pacey like Baldock last night, then you get isolated and found out.

Unfortunately Flint has no pace and neither does Pack in front of him.

And I'll add to that fella, if I may :-).... the OP is in fact 'getting behind the team'....as he has taken time, and is interested enough to write a post about his concerns about a player....therefore showing interest. Constructive criticism.... because he wants the best for his team.

Blindly supporting whatever is front of you....is not.

As for his point...I'll not nit pick and be pedantic as many do...and see it in the 'gist' of what he's saying.

I agree....Flint looks down on confidence....his body language at games shows that.

You can tell when a player like Flint is down on confidence or doubting their ability....they start to give defenders more room, as he knows he doesn't have the pace and at corners he's not been 'attacking' the ball like he did last season.

Problem with playing three at the back....if you are slow and up against someone pacey like Baldock last night, then you get isolated and found out.

Unfortunately Flint has no pace and neither does Pack in front of him.

Exactly, FWIW Flint has done better than I thought he might against higher calibre strikers this season. Possibly the fact he comes from non-league means he takes longer to adapt to things (his first season with us compared to his behemothic performances last year) maybe it's a confidence/psychology thing. Baker is probably really good for him to learn from, despite being younger. 

Watch the Forest game again. And tell me that he wasn't the stand out player by miles. People were bigging up Baker, but I think that was due to confusion with Flint. 

He was immense against Forest and I'm not going to denounce him after a poor game or two. 

People I was with were bigging up Flint, when Baker was who they were watching. Both had good games but think Baker was the catalyst. Should perhaps make them wear coloured headbands to avoid confusion. 

flint wasn't 10/10 but really after being at that game last night it amazes me how he can be signalled out. We played really well and should build on that performance. People can 'debate' what they want , I just cannot see why after leaving that game someone felt a need to start a thread like this. Its not debate its witch-hunt! I for one woke up in my hotel this morning feeling pretty postive about the rest of season.

flint wasn't 10/10 but really after being at that game last night it amazes me how he can be signalled out. We played really well and should build on that performance. People can 'debate' what they want , I just cannot see why after leaving that game someone felt a need to start a thread like this. Its not debate its witch-hunt! I for one woke up in my hotel this morning feeling pretty postive about the rest of season.

You've misunderstood, I didn't insinuate you had him as 10/10, it was a general point.

In reference to your earlier post, it implies if people debate performances they aren't getting behind the team? Was that the intended meaning?

A bit harsh on Flint really given that he is playing out of his natural position of a robust, albeit somewhat raw, prolific goal scoring centre forward.  Cotts likes to play with an aerial presence and target man and Aden would benefit by sitting on the bench and coming on for the inevitably tiring Wilbs for the final 20 mins. 

You've misunderstood, I didn't insinuate you had him as 10/10, it was a general point.

In reference to your earlier post, it implies if people debate performances they aren't getting behind the team? Was that the intended meaning?

by starting pointless unhelpful threads about players who just gave 100% in a good performance. Then hide behind the 'debate' quote. Did you go last night? If you went and came back and read this you would be angry too. Gutless.

by starting pointless unhelpful threads about players who just gave 100% in a good performance. Then hide behind the 'debate' quote. Did you go last night? If you went and came back and read this you would be angry too. Gutless.

No I didn't go but that's irrelevant really as I didn't start the thread. I've reread the original post and there's absolutely nothing to feel "angry" about, it's a perfectly reasonable opinion and pretty measured compared to lots on here.

I felt sorry for Flint last night. I said at half time the gaps in between Baker - Flint - Ayling did Flint no favours at all,  with the good movement of Baldock and his mate running in between. If Baker and Flint were central together, sat deeper with Williams and Ayling either side, 5 in midfield, play on the counter with Kodjia up front on his own. The warning signs were there just before half time, we did nothing tactically, they came out and scored. On the flip side, were carried on creating loads of chances, should have had a pen..........who'd be a manager!

Watch the Forest game again. And tell me that he wasn't the stand out player by miles. People were bigging up Baker, but I think that was due to confusion with Flint. 

He was immense against Forest and I'm not going to denounce him after a poor game or two. 

Frankie got him out of jail that game with a cracking save from a header when Flint had let his man go

Ok to clarify having re read my original post I can see it sounded harsher than I meant it too....I did temper this with that he was outstanding all last season and hopefully he will be back to his best soon.

no I wasn't expecting him to score 15 again I appreciate that was an extraordinary season, but my point still stands that I thought he was awful last night and baldock had a field day with the amount of space he had, he had a few misplaced passes which put us under pressure and he wasn't on his game. Everyone sees thing different and that was my take and I chose to express it albeit after a few pints.

i also think he hasn't been great all season but welcome other opinions from those that say he has been good. 

I don't want him dropped by any means, maybe I just expected a little more.

Archived