IGNORED

Self-Belief

SedRA

I wrote this on another thread (edited slightly here) but wanted to start a topic on it and see what others thought...

I do think that there are tactical and scoring issues with our game but I feel a lot of our problems seem to stem from a lack of self belief. There seems to me to be a feeling of boys against men still and that the players don't quite feel they are strong/good enough enough to control games and dictate what happens. Even when playing well it feels like we are on borrowed time, waiting for the bigger boys to take back the game and when on the back foot it seems inevitable we won't hold out.

When you are playing with that insecurity in your minds it tends to create a self fulfilling prophecy and those little game changing moments go against you as well as invite pressure on yourself. 

I think we definitely have the ability but we need to take that step up in self belief that we are big/strong/talented enough to be in charge in games or at least see them out when in front.

Thoughts?

The team play for one another and have great team spirit.

Player wise, I would say we are of 'average' Championship standard.

Our predicament imho, is down to a few things....formation and how to play it properly, indecision by SC in making changes at the correct time, not having an experienced quality player in the middle of the park, and relying on Wilbs too much throughout a whole game.

We've never replaced Wade properly, and Wilbs can't last 90 mins giving 100% which is needed.

We have a young inexperienced squad at this level....it's no wonder we are struggling.

Not the players fault....all down to management.

The team play for one another and have great team spirit.

Player wise, I would say we are of 'average' Championship standard.

Our predicament imho, is down to a few things....formation and how to play it properly, indecision by SC in making changes at the correct time, not having an experienced quality player in the middle of the park, and relying on Wilbs too much throughout a whole game.

We've never replaced Wade properly, and Wilbs can't last 90 mins giving 100% which is needed.

We have a young inexperienced squad at this level....it's no wonder we are struggling.

Not the players fault....all down to management.

So you think the lack of self-belief is as a result of mismanagement? 

Definitely has had an effect, but to me it felt like we have had this mentality since the beginning of the season. After last season I was thinking we would come out firing with an attitude of 'lets show these boys what we've got', and while we've had a go in a good few games there has always seemed to be a fear there.

Do you think the players might of heard things over the summer that has undermined their confidence maybe? If there's been a lot of emphasis on bringing players in by SC that might make them question themselves?

Or possibly the opening game against Wednesday was much tougher than they expected and that knocked them back a bit.

All pontification I know, but still, I'm surprised at the lack of resilience we have seem to shown so far. 

EDIT: btw, I'm not blaming the players or SC, just interested in how its come about. 

Confidence is the magic charm that all top athlètes need to achieve their goals, the question is , how to acquire this elusive , fragile  state of mind ?

It's got by having positive results , a knowledge that what the person is doing is right and will get them the required outcome.

The opposite of confidence is doubt . This leads to questions being asked of those around the athlete and finally an acceptance that something must change or at worst a belief that they are not good enough to win and a psychological and physical submission.

Confidence is the magic charm that all top athlètes need to achieve their goals, the question is , how to acquire this elusive , fragile  state of mind ?

It's got by having positive results , a knowledge that what the person is doing is right and will get them the required outcome.

The opposite of confidence is doubt . This leads to questions being asked of those around the athlete and finally an acceptance that something must change or at worst a belief that they are not good enough to win and a psychological and physical submission.

I agree. 

But it seems to have been there from the start of the season, which is strange considering the previous one. 

I don't think they do lack self belief. They lack experience at Championship level and possibly a little bit of ability but they seem confident and happy to play their game.

As Spudski correctly points out, they only need a couple of experienced pros in the squad to make a big difference and the fact that the club wasn't able to recruit those players in the summer for whatever reason is the fault of the management.

However, if you listen to Steve Cotterill and look at his actions it's clear he believes that the players will adapt to the new level and that when they do they'll be able to win games in the attacking style they like to play. It's up to him to help them do this, to keep spirits up whilst they do it and, if they don't, to make the call on when to give up on it and change tactics.

So you think the lack of self-belief is as a result of mismanagement? 

Definitely has had an effect, but to me it felt like we have had this mentality since the beginning of the season. After last season I was thinking we would come out firing with an attitude of 'lets show these boys what we've got', and while we've had a go in a good few games there has always seemed to be a fear there.

Do you think the players might of heard things over the summer that has undermined their confidence maybe? If there's been a lot of emphasis on bringing players in by SC that might make them question themselves?

Or possibly the opening game against Wednesday was much tougher than they expected and that knocked them back a bit.

All pontification I know, but still, I'm surprised at the lack of resilience we have seem to shown so far. 

EDIT: btw, I'm not blaming the players or SC, just interested in how its come about. 

Self belief is down to many things....often mentally.

A player will question his ability and whether he is fully behind the managers ideas.

If a team is playing well and not being over run, but lacking that bit of quality or depth, then it will be noted.

If a team is constantly losing but by the slightest margins then questions will start to be asked.

Is it me? Is it the formation? etc,etc.

Confidence in oneself, performance, results etc all help....but when you are down and fighting....you will question everything.

So many anomalies....but I believe it's a mixture of everything I mentioned in my first post.

We start finishing our chances, Burnley, Preston, MK Dons, Brentford, Leeds. We win games, we get points and actually we are a quality Championship side. I think we do have the self belief, but individual lapses in concentration and how we apply ourselves against other teams is our problem. When we are under the cosh, we never seem to try and get ourselves out of it, play some good possession football or press hard to get the ball back and we do get it back,  it just ends up get it to Smith or Freeman and do a long-ball counter attack to Kodjia or Wilbraham. 

Archived