IGNORED

Last Season is gone.

Bs4Red

Im going to get a lot of stick for this post but I'm interested to see other people's opinions whilst voicing my own.

Last season was potentially one of the greatest in the clubs history, from the summer recruitment to winning the JPT to winning the league everything was perfect. The players, the board and SC and his backroom staff deserve the upmost respect and congratulations for that and will forever be remembered and go down in City history.

However how long can we continue to use the lines that are so frequently said on here and around the ground?

for example 

'He did so well for us last year'

'He led us to the double'

'After everything he has done'

I for one and past last season and will always look back fondly but I'm afraid there is no room for sentiment anymore. What was the point in last season if we go straight back down ( which I don't think will happen)

My question and point is Why do fans feel last seasons achievements are a feasible excuse for our shortcomings so far this season? ( I'm curious for responses not saying people are wrong)

I personally think that last season has to be forgotten about and we need to focus on the task in hand, if that mans dropping players or even changing managers so be it (once again not suggesting that for a second) The thing I fear is last seasons efforts being for nothing at the end of May. 

My opinion is that Cotts will see us safe come the end of the season so we should stick with him. We've had too much of a revolving door of managers over the last few years, it needs to stop and we have a manager who has us playing well and won't be long before we start picking up more regular points imo.

My opinion is that Cotts will see us safe come the end of the season so we should stick with him. We've had too much of a revolving door of managers over the last few years, it needs to stop and we have a manager who has us playing well and won't be long before we start picking up more regular points imo.

We're actually probably about average in terms of manager turnover, not really a 'revolving door'. Soon SC will be at 2 years which is probably one of the highest tenures in this league. He's probably in the top 5 longest serving in the current championship.

Right, I'll bite.  NO, NO, NO.  Absolute nonsense.

Stop moving the ruddy goalposts, we set him the target of staying up and we're 21st now.  If we're 21st (even if it is on goals scored) at the end of the season then he will have done the job requested of him.

remember every position from 7th to 21st in this division has the same reward. 

What we think as fans doesn't really matter...the board and SL will make any decision if needed.

Imho, if we are still hovering around the relegation zone come Nov/Dec, then I can see a change being made.

Many didn't want change when SoD was here....and wanted 'stability'.

People moaned when SC was appointed....but look what he achieved.

The same could possibly happen this season.

Another manager may come in and take us further forward....who knows.

None of us know what the Board see as a minimum requirement this season.

Whoevers fault it is...imho, recruitment over the summer is killing us result wise. And SC could get the chop because of it.

Hopefully whoever is here come January, they make some progress in the transfer market.

But tbh...if we are fighting relegation....who's going to want to come here.

We all know that it is going to be a struggle to stay up and that means we will lose a lot of games. it will be even harder though if the fans react like this to every defeat. 

I don't think this reaction is as bad as the one after the MK Dons draw. People seem to have managed their expectations pretty well already. 

Right, I'll bite.  NO, NO, NO.  Absolute nonsense.

Stop moving the ruddy goalposts, we set him the target of staying up and we're 21st now.  If we're 21st (even if it is on goals scored) at the end of the season then he will have done the job requested of him.

remember every position from 7th to 21st in this division has the same reward. 

Who set him that target?  I don't remember hearing anything.

And as for every position from 21st-7th having the same reward; you're right.  But many people would rather watch a team sitting in 7th (which means a better win rate) and on the cusp of the play offs, than sitting in 21st (and likely getting beat regularly) and on the cusp of being relegated.

There's a nasty whiff developing at City at the moment of "we're too good to go down".  The league table doesn't lie and at the moment there is a good chance we wont be in this league next season.

Personally, I think it's baffling and inappropriate to be discussing a managerial change already. I think we are doing as well as can be expected - you only have to look at where Preston and MK Dons are in the league to see there is a gulf in class between League One and the Championship. Despite this, we've got a few good results, played some cracking football at times and been unlucky on several occasions. It's not like the dreaded days of SOD when you could guarantee every game would end in a loss due to the dire football he served up. It's early days yet and I'm confident we will still finish comfortably in mid-table, which is about as good as can be expected.

We're not that far off being in a much better position. One of SoD's things was look at the performances not the results and whilst this has to be done in balance in my opinion, there is merit to it. In most games we've played well and been 'in' the game. The odd goal here, the odd unfair sending off, non penalty decision, etc and we would be in a much better position. The higher up the leagues, the finer the margins but this team is a much different team to the one we all watched languishing in this league a few years back - that one was clear for all to see destined to be relegated at some point, this one has so much potential. 

• "we set him the target of staying up and we're 21st now."  - Speak for yourself.  I expect more from a team that finished top of league one.  Check out the performances of previous teams that won promotion for a proper frame of reference
  • "remember every position from 7th to 21st in this division has the same reward." - Incorrect on many levels, mainly financial and from a perception POV.  Players are far more inclined to join a team that finishes in the higher places than those who scraped safety

But yeah, we are talking nonsense.... 

2004-5 Luton won League 1, Hull and Sheffield Wednesday promoted with them, finished 10th, 18th and 19th respectively in the Championship the following year.

2005-6 Southend won League 1, Colchester and Barnsley promoted with them, finished 22nd (R), 10th and 20th in the Championship the following year .

2006-7 S****horpe won League 1, ourselves and Blackpool promoted with them, finished 23rd (R), 4th (Pl) and 19th in the championship the following year.

2007-8 Swansea won League 1, Forest and Donny promoted with them, finished 8th, 19th and 14th in the Championship the following year.

2008-9 Leicester won League 1, Peterborough and S****horpe promoted with them, finished 5th (Pl), 24th (R) and 20th in the Championship the following year.

2009-10 Norwich won League 1, Leeds and Millwall promoted with them, finished 2nd (P),7th and 9th in  the Championship the following year.

2010-11 Brighton won League 1, Southampton and Peterborough promoted with them, finished 10th,  2nd (P) and 18th in the Championship the following year.

2011-12 Charlton won League 1, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield promoted with them, finished 9th, 18th and 19th in the Championship the following year. 

2012-13 Doncaster won League 1, Bournemouth and Yeovil promoted with them, finished 22nd (R), 10th and 24th (R) in the Championship the following year.

2013-14 Wolves won League 1, Brentford and Rotherham promoted with them, finished 7th, 5th (Pl) and 21st in the Championship the following year.

So 15 of 30 teams finished 18th or lower in the first season after promotion, only 5 made it into the top 6 in the first season, 3 failing in the playoffs. Average position 13.93 (14).

'IF' he gets the boot it will be down to the fact the summers recruitment was an utter shambles.

This season is all about staying up, we have to remain in this division but we're not cut adrift and have been playing OK.

We have most definatley not got the rub of the green so far this season in terms of important Ref decisions either 

Yes recruitment or lack of was disastrous but since then we have brought in loanees

And an unwillingness to change tactics and to stick with players not able to hack it at this level when we have alternatives available is a real problem. Finally the poor use of substitutes is baffling bordering on naive

The rub of the green argument does not hold after all the games we have played; it merely is an excuse for our own failings

It is the job of the manager to address these issues;  I see little evidence of this yet

'IF' he gets the boot it will be down to the fact the summers recruitment was an utter shambles.

NOW This season is all about staying up, we have to remain in this division but we're not cut adrift and have been playing OK.

We have most definatley not got the rub of the green so far this season in terms of important Ref decisions either 

A little change to your post , hope you don't mind ?

What a juicy thread to sink your teeth into first thing in the morning.

Last season has indeed gone, but we are all entitled to look back and consider the fine work of SC and the squad who delivered such a memorable campaign.

And I firmly believe that past endeavours should always be considered when taking stock of the present. 

SC is a good manager with one strange tendency not to use his substitutions as wisely as we would like.  I like the way the team is developing and can see that we have a decent chance of staying in the league.

Cotterill said it would take 12-15 games before the side fully adapted to life in The Championship. After a couple of encouraging performances (Forest & Brighton) it'll be interetsing to see if we can keep that performance level up.

We actually have a decent run of fixtures coming up and now really is the time to kick on and try and lift ourselves away from the bottom 3

Last season may have gone and it was criminal how we did not build upon the momentum we had due to our near non-existent summer transfer activity. However, Baker & Bennett look like really good loan options and have helped greatly. With a bit more luck and composure we might have beaten the top side Tuesday.

SCs reluctance to give subs more than cameo run-outs was just as puzzling last season, just the results were going for us in the main. In particular why he keeps flogging Wilbs this season when most can see his legs have gone after 60 mins is beyond me.

Still whilst we are competing and not looking like being cut adrift I'd stick with SC, if we find ourselves in the bottom 3 with a gap above by December then I'd agree with no sentiments and bring in a new manager so he has time to use the January window.

I don't think there is any need to be thinking about making managerial changes yet. From what I see and hear we have only had one real poor performance (Reading) and one 45 minutes where we failed tactically after a good start (MK  Dons). And people want to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak? Look to Leeds and be careful what you wish for.

The trouble with some is they thought we would steamroll this league as well, as was proved before the start of the season with many tipping us for a playoff place. This is an incredibly tough league where you get punished for mistakes. Offer me 21st now and I would take it move on and make sure the cock up in pre season does not happen again.

When Nicky Maynard wanted to leave for a bigger club many on here said what's the problem this is his job just like you and me and you would do excatly the same if you were him in moving to a bigger club with more money.

Take that one step futher with Cotterill and we must remember this is his job just like you or me.

Put yourself in Cotterill's position and you have just achieved the best results for your employer for years surely you would expect some respect and loyality back.

I hope he gets it  because he has eaned it just like me and you in our employment.

It's mental that anybody is even thinking he should go. We're finding our feet in an excellent division, we're beginning to look close to where we should be. The majority of fans are backing him and rightly so.

Under his guidance I don't see us being relegated, a top of the bottom half position seems likely.

Of course things change and if we become adrift a change is inevitable, but he's working hard and the players are too, they deserve our backing and so does he.

When Nicky Maynard wanted to leave for a bigger club many on here said what's the problem this is his job just like you and me and you would do excatly the same if you were him in moving to a bigger club with more money.

Take that one step futher with Cotterill and we must remember this is his job just like you or me.

Put yourself in Cotterill's position and you have just achieved the best results for your employer for years surely you would expect some respect and loyality back.

I hope he gets it  because he has eaned it just like me and you in our employment.

History shows what you did not what you are doing.

Should we bring Gary Johnson back ? He nearly got us to the Prem .

I really wanted SOD to succeed because it seemed that for once the club had a plan , a vision .

I really want Cotts to succeed because we are playing open attacking football however when he loses the plot , as sooner or later he will do , then he must and will make way.

This season is all about staying up, we have to remain in this division but we're not cut adrift and have been playing OK.

exactly, it's all about quality of the squad. Klopp couldn't keep us up if ultimately the class isn't there.

The simple answer to this is that expectations have changed.

I will always remember last season fondly as every City fan will, but the thing about last season was that we were in the winning habit, a defeat was a rare occurence.

When the club is so used to winning it's fans (me included) tend to get a distorted view and expect results to come week in week out, even with a step up in divisions.

The fact of the matter is that we are not used to losing and it has taken over 10 games in this league for eveyone to finally realise that we shall lose games.

Expectations need to be adjusted and with our poor summer recruitment and the fact that we are playing largely with the same players that won League One I would say we are doing pretty well at the moment and more than holding our own against establised Championship clubs.

Even if we were to bring a new manager in he would have to work with exactly the same squad as Cotts so could we realistically expect miracles to happen? I would rather keep the man in charge who knows the players and knows what needs to be done to change things, yes a sentimental element remains in that but lets face it, the man won 2 trophies last season and in 101 games as our manager has over a 50% winning rate, he's earnt his right to have at least a season with us at this level.

Firstly I believe that Cotterill will keep us in this division this season. Like others have said, last season was phenomenal in every way from the assembly of the squad through to the level of performance on the pitch. However, longer term if we want to be successful at this level then we will have to recruit a proven Championship manager. SCs record in this division is average at best and although I would love to be proved wrong I don't see him being the man to get us into the Premier League. I am fully aware that at the moment this might seem like fantasy but it is very clearly the long term aim of SL and Bristol Sport.

History shows what you did not what you are doing.

Should we bring Gary Johnson back ? He nearly got us to the Prem .

I really wanted SOD to succeed because it seemed that for once the club had a plan , a vision .

I really want Cotts to succeed because we are playing open attacking football however when he loses the plot , as sooner or later he will do , then he must and will make way.

Of course you make a relevant point and i accept that you are only as good as your last results and that Cotterill loses the plot on ocassions.

You ask should we bring back Gary Johnson back and of course the answer is no but when he was here he absolutely gave one hundred percent win lose or draw to move this football club on to better things.

I believe that Cotterill's is of that same make up win lose or draw he will do what he has to take this club further. He also believes what he is doing is right and he knows the price to be paid if his methods don't bring results.

I disagree with you that he must and will make way because it is my opinion that Steve Lansdown has learnt by his mistakes and will give Cotterill the time and support to carry on the succesful job he is doing here. 

We both have equal rights to our opinion and i certainly respect your opinion but it is only Steve Lansdown opinion that really counts.

For me this thread feels a little at odds with the mood of the forum at this point in time, broadly speaking.  After the MK draw, there was a lot of despondency and concern that the season was heading in the wrong direction because the performance was so poor.  The last two games have been much better.  We all saw probably our best performance of the season against Forest, where our attack was potent and our defence more solid that we've seen all season.  Then at Brighton, we lost but still put in a very credible performance against a table-topping side, which on another day would have been rewarded with at least a point if not all three. We have also moved away from the bottom of the table since the MK debacle.  So for me I wouldn't even be considering Cotterill's position at this point in time.

We are playing in cc this season. Not so easy as last year, scored for fun. Better teams faster players. It take time to get use to it. Feeling is we are playing ok  but not mutch Points. Think its more in the minds than in the way we play. Would like us more Dirty somtimes if you know what I mean. Think if the Points are coming we will get use to the game. Alwys difference in a higher leauge. Think we will make it because we have a good team and manager. Always Believe. COYR

Archived