IGNORED

AG rail station got my support

bristolcitysweden

I have done a bit of research  into this station  and projected passenger numbers. In the offical report of passengers per year football and rugby fans using the station on match days are NOT taken into account, it also goes on to state that if there was a station it would have to close on match days because it couldn't cope with the numbers.

I have done a bit of research  into this station  and projected passenger numbers. In the offical report of passengers per year football and rugby fans using the station on match days are NOT taken into account, it also goes on to state that if there was a station it would have to close on match days because it couldn't cope with the numbers.

How did the figures stack up with just commuters/workers and did it look viable?

It probably would be a waste of time as Worst Group don't have the capacity to run sufficient trains due to the privatised madness. As BCC continue to restrict parking, I have looked at alternatives, and TBH they are not great, and would be totally insufficient if we ever did reach the PL. the new BRT should be part of the solution, but that just looks like a massive waste of money, creating far more problems than it solves.

Bristol just seems to want gridlock, and to make life as difficult as possible to get around. And the yellow line painters certainly seem to have been very busy near AG with mostly un-necessary restrictions.  

so basically this is all pointless, then? 

so basically this is all pointless, then? 

only for match day, what did you expect? It's not an underground transport system and its not on the main line so trains will be small sprinter types and run once an hour probably.

Will be a big bonus to the area on non match days if there is a hotel on site and other local facilities built because of the easy access to TM and the city centre.

When you think about it, you might need cheap parking at Parkway (good for away fans), a cheap half-hourly shuttle to AG, a 6 car train departing 20 mins after final whistle, with a standard service train 15 mins later. When you look at it like that, you realise that it would be way too much to expect. Anywhere else in Europe could easily do this, and more. It just highlights how false Bristol's (allegedly) green credentials are.

Seems from some of the comments on this thread that the economic case for the station might not be as convincing as we might hope.

However I still don't understand what the transport strategy is for the ground once capacity hits 27k. There was some criticism at Brighton the other night because of the large queues for trains. But at least Brighton has a well defined transport strategy for the Amex - namely a train station right outside and multiple park and ride options. At the moment I just don't see any sort of joined up thinking for the new Ashton Gate. Capacity is increasing by around 50% but parking options are dwindling and there is no increase to public transport capacity planned that I am aware of. With parking now so difficult with 15k how on earth will it work with 27k without viable alternative ways of getting to the stadium? A transport proposal was presumably part of the planning application, but what was it? Does anyone know?

A well worn topic I know, but I just find it so baffling.

I don't understand the logic of this. It highlights to me the constant failings of the Council/Government and their reluctance to fully implement an integrated transport system. It will always be inadequate and basically rubbish as long as they fail to include all passenger numbers in their deliberations. 'Conveniently discount numbers on match days, so shut the station instead' :grr:

I despair

Once public transport became privatised, the sole driver is profit. So you have the optimum buses/ trains for profit, and rather than provide extra services at peak times, increase fares to maximise income and manage demand. It's why we get a shambles for the rugby, the Coventry situation, and what will create chaos once the Bristol Arena opens.

Councils are stuck in a time warp, trying to reduce traffic, clinging to the vain hope that public transport can, somehow, cope with extra demand. Or we will don red trousers and cycle. You have town centre property prices soaring, so more people are commuting a greater distance.

Until we view public transport as an asset, nothing will change. For City, it's just a case of park where you can, walk, a handful of A buses, and a bloody unhelpful council.

Once public transport became privatised, the sole driver is profit. So you have the optimum buses/ trains for profit, and rather than provide extra services at peak times, increase fares to maximise income and manage demand. It's why we get a shambles for the rugby, the Coventry situation, and what will create chaos once the Bristol Arena opens.

Councils are stuck in a time warp, trying to reduce traffic, clinging to the vain hope that public transport can, somehow, cope with extra demand. Or we will don red trousers and cycle. You have town centre property prices soaring, so more people are commuting a greater distance.

Until we view public transport as an asset, nothing will change. For City, it's just a case of park where you can, walk, a handful of A buses, and a bloody unhelpful council.

FirstBus reduced fares to attract more customers. It worked, then they increased the fares complaining that the higher number of passengers had buggered up their timetable and they couldn't cope… :facepalm:

I still think something could happen with Ashton Vale with some sort of wholly BS managed park and ride scheme. Could be a bit of an earner with parking around the ground getting ridiculously reduced year on year. It is really becoming like a military operation if you have to drive as I do from Devon, you know if you don`t get there by about 1pm you`ve got no chance of getting anywhere within half an hour of the ground.

I suppose it will depend on the plans for AV long term but I don`t see why something couldn`t be set up in the meantime - all it would need is some hardcore and a few attendants to pay for. There might be planning issues I suppose but surely we could argue that it`s getting vehicles off the road and (I might be wrong with this) wouldn`t it be North Somerset Council rather than BCC?

Avon and Somerset police are against it opening on match days saying they can't afford the resource to man it, there will be violence, etc, so it is all a bit pointless, really.

As usual in this City vested interests win out over any sort of common sense..

Archived