IGNORED

AG rail station got my support

bristolcitysweden

A&S Police, dedicating 100 plus officers, vans and dogs, think it's far easier marching opposition fans all along The Cut with the constant threat of 'ambushes' than shunting them all on two or three dedicated 'away fans' trains? How about a scenario, where football becomes even more 'family friendly' and policing away fans is not so much of an issue - has that been considered? 

Clearly, the lack of logic and vision extends across numerous professional disciplines in Bristol. 

So, I will continue using my car to access the stadium due to the lack of any realistic 'green' alternative. There was I stupidly thinking the 'Green Capital' label might change the 'can't do' mindsets that have plagued transport policy in the City for decades.

Avon and Somerset police are against it opening on match days saying they can't afford the resource to man it, there will be violence, etc, so it is all a bit pointless, really.

As usual in this City vested interests win out over any sort of common sense..

Seems odd as I imagine 90% of traffic would be City fans. They could easily stop stuff from BTM going to there before KO and only allow trains coming from Portishead?

The other issue will be rolling stock like at Coventry. They'll probably run 158/159s on this line and will build small platforms at Portishead and AG (should they ever build a station) and thus they won't be able to run longer trains. 

Will the BRT stop near AG out of interest?

Seems odd as I imagine 90% of traffic would be City fans. They could easily stop stuff from BTM going to there before KO and only allow trains coming from Portishead?

The other issue will be rolling stock like at Coventry. They'll probably run 158/159s on this line and will build small platforms at Portishead and AG (should they ever build a station) and thus they won't be able to run longer trains. 

Will the BRT stop near AG out of interest?

PM sent.

Take a look at the route of the metro bus . There is no stop at Ashton Gate , only in Bristol  this could happen.http://travelwest.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/avtm-route-map.pdf

What does potential even mean in this instance? Never really considered it before but on wet days it looks like it might be a useful link from Temple Meads.

Hoping to write an article on this soon and as I'm a member of the Bristol City Youth Council and UK Youth Parliament I will be bugging George until he listens to me! He's constantly going on about us being the European Green Capital so I'll give him something to talk about. 

As lovely as some of these green events have been, we need something permanent that's going to encourage Bristol to be green for longer than just 2015. 

As lovely as some of these green events have been, we need something permanent that's going to encourage Bristol to be green for longer than just 2015. 

What green events have that been . Complete waste of time and money being green capital, I suspect like most Bristolians it pass them by. 

It was just a year so Red Pants knob head could go swanning around the globe increasing his carbon foot print, massaging his massive ego at Bristol council tax expense.

Come on George, time to pull them red trousers up and do the right thing, a station/halt at Ashton Gate is a *no-brainer ( which some might say should be *perfect for you! ) this City has suffered more than its share of mindless folly -its time to get something right!

Give Bristols council tax payers something they want, need, and will use... Give us a station!

(Dont forget it was people power that saved the (hugely successful) Severn Beach line - the people were right then and they are right now!)

IMO they should simply turn Ashton rd into a bus lane for 6 hours while football is on (local residents obviously get free permit) club organises buses to the park and ride, city centre, cribs, gordano. Charge £2-3 rather than the local parking that seems to now be £7-10. Money maker for the club and makes travel easier as everyone is dropped off at the ground - they could also say last bus at 1:30 making sure people are around the ground to spend money, first bus away 15 mins after the game finishes - so no one feels compelled to leave early. I would also encourage local parking up to £15 if you want to park locally you must really want to park locally.

The train is another option but I don't think it will be the solution, there are not enough destination options and issues around capacity.

The funny thing I find is that of all the grounds I have been to ours is currently one of the best to get away from after the game with basically no public transport - places like Plymouth you can easily be waiting for an hour to get out. Even where there is public transport i.e. Anywhere in London it can take hours to get on a train or underground after any medium sized event.

Archived