IGNORED

The Derby Is Dead

Welcome To The Jungle

I think BCFC just wanted to win- I really don't give a shite that anyone may feel that it wasn't a proper derby because it was a proper football match and our team looked great and the stats back that up.

Sorry if there wasn't enough fighting on or off the pitch and our fans certainly sounded good enough.

Get over it.

All the sneery types who like to make the little digs at the groups trying to make an atmosphere should take note, that could be our future very easily, and it could be say it's where we were untill fans groups like the YSC formed many moons ago.

Agree that fans do need to do something about it, but equally there's nothing more frustrating than one or two fans shouting at people around them for not standing up or singing.

Need to build on atmosphere a bit at a time, it won't happen over night but I don't think we'll go the way of Cardiff, Reading or Fulham with our atmosphere

I think BCFC just wanted to win- I really don't give a shite that anyone may feel that it wasn't a proper derby because it was a proper football match and our team looked great and the stats back that up.

Sorry if there wasn't enough fighting on or off the pitch and our fans certainly sounded good enough.

Get over it.

That is a completely separate issue. Yes our team played well, yes our fans there sounded great - good on each and every one of you...

but the point is modern football is so different from even 10 years ago. That this was the atmosphere of a severnside derby was shameful and that's no slur on our fans necessarily, over zealous policing certainly.

That was so sanitised it was a very poor imitation of what it could and should have been. 

Cardiff, honestly...  if that's the price of chasing the Prem unsuccessfully well then give me the JPT. If I ever became that emotionally detached I'd justify saving the money on a football ticket with no hesitation. 

It's not really the derby game we like to think it is though is it. If Cardiff had played Swansea on a Monday night on Sky, the game would have been a sellout regardless of the ticket arrangements. Likewise if we'd played Rovers under the same circumstances, the game would have sold out. We tell ourselves it's a derby because they're the closest thing we have to a credible local rival, but the evidence proves that, broadly speaking, it doesn't excite either clubs fanbase enough to put bums on seats.

It's not really the derby game we like to think it is though is it. If Cardiff had played Swansea on a Monday night on Sky, the game would have been a sellout regardless of the ticket arrangements. Likewise if we'd played Rovers under the same circumstances, the game would have sold out. We tell ourselves it's a derby because they're the closest thing we have to a credible local rival, but the evidence proves that, broadly speaking, it doesn't excite either clubs fanbase enough to put bums on seats.

I disagree. I have far more vitriol for Cardiff than Bristol Rovers and I'm sure a fair number within the 0-30 year old bracket does too. I consider it a derby  and it was the first fixture I looked for out of genuine anticipation. The arrangements contrived to ensure I wouldn't go.  

Not saying I'm not open to change however. That was a pitiful 'Derby' whatever side of the coin you are on and if it's that passionless at the CC stadium then I shalln't feel the same anticipation in future fixtures and I can't say I feel I missed much

It is quite noticeable that the glory hunter premiership fans were absent. I couldn't believe how empty it was looking from the TV. Well done to all the city lads who were making some noise. Quite glad I boycotted the game the bubble trip shouldn't exist. 

I disagree. I have far more vitriol for Cardiff than Bristol Rovers and I'm sure a fair number within the 0-30 year old bracket does too. I consider it a derby  and it was the first fixture I looked for out of genuine anticipation. The arrangements contrived to ensure I wouldn't go.  

Not saying I'm not open to change however. That was a pitiful 'Derby' whatever side of the coin you are on and if it's that passionless at the CC stadium then I shalln't feel the same anticipation in future fixtures and I can't say I feel I missed much

I was talking in very broad terms about the fanbases of both clubs as a whole. The empty seats tonight prove my point - you can't deny that the fans evidently don't consider this a derby to compare with Swansea or Rovers.

However, personally speaking I do actually agree with you and I am more bothered about Cardiff than Rovers - but that's probably because I'm married into a Cardiff family!

I was talking in very broad terms about the fanbases of both clubs as a whole. The empty seats tonight prove my point - you can't deny that the fans evidently don't consider this a derby to compare with Swansea or Rovers.

However, personally speaking I do actually agree with you and I am more bothered about Cardiff than Rovers - but that's probably because I'm married into a Cardiff family!

To be honest I see the attendances as more indicative of the bubble stifling any really away support - and I say reasonably being someone who stayed away solely because of this. I also see it as indicative of their wider problems at home by alienating the 'thick and thin' support to breaking, which they have, and relying on the Prem boost which inevitably dwindled. Their recent attendances show this effect. 

Take two things out of the equation: Tan and the bubble it'd be a great, passion-filled turnout I've no doubt. Cardiff v Swansea might get more of a turnout in spite of these factors, but I think that fixture appeals more to the 'Prem boost day trippers' than a game with us does. I'd dare say that it'd be an even more family affair in 3/4's of the ground given who would snap up those extra 10k of seats. 

Yep Sky apparently said City and Cardiff are 25 miles apart....what?! Bristol and Cardiff is more like 44 miles apart, may be a small point but that made me laugh!

That atmosphere tonight was just a million miles away from the old days at Ninian Park, it ain't a patch on the 'derby' from way back when...

But a great result tonight!

To be honest I see the attendances as more indicative of the bubble stifling any really away support - and I say reasonably being someone who stayed away solely because of this. I also see it as indicative of their wider problems at home by alienating the 'thick and thin' support to breaking, which they have, and relying on the Prem boost which inevitably dwindled. Their recent attendances show this effect. 

Take two things out of the equation: Tan and the bubble it'd be a great, passion-filled turnout I've no doubt. Cardiff v Swansea might get more of a turnout in spite of these factors, but I think that fixture appeals more to the 'Prem boost day trippers' than a game with us does. I'd dare say that it'd be an even more family affair in 3/4's of the ground given who would snap up those extra 10k of seats. 

Fair enough 29, you make some very good points.

It died when they moved from Ninian it seems. The atmosphere at their place is awful, even when they were top of the league and we were rock bottom in 12/13, barely a sound came from the home end.

Ninian was a hostile and exciting fixture. Legoland is as sterile an atmosphere as you can get.

Games at AG are usually still a decent occasion but not close to the old days.

The restrictions dont help though do they. Had that been a 3 oclock saturday afternoon game with fans being able to travel on there own steam it would have been a different story.

This. Complete overreaction, with a full stadium you'd have twice the atmosphere. Doesn't help that Cardiff play turgid football and hate their manager. Stadium's got very little to do with it.

I wouldn't expect a derby game to mean much to players anyway. Derby's are something fans and the media make a thing of. To a player, most of them aren't from the areas involved so it makes no difference and secondly, ask a player "Does this game being against Cardiff make you want to win more?" and I'd be pissed if their answer was yes. They should want to win EVERY game just as much as the next one, if they want to beat Cardiff more than they want to beat Preston then why don't they want to beat Preston as much?!

Borussia Monchengladbach and KRC Genk are 56 miles apart, would this make it a derby if they played each other?

Completely ridiculous to state that two clubs from different countries can possibly be a 'derby'.

Only the Welsh see it as a 'derby' cos they got **** all else going on in their lives.

Cardiff's only derby is against other Welsh clubs and our only derby is against the sleazy horse punchers... if that ever happens outside of a cup.

As Steve Cotterill said, "The only derby I'm aware of is CITY vs r*****". Spot on imho.

ldn't expect a derby,   game to mean much to players anyway. Derby's are something fans and the media make a thing of. To a player, most of them aren't from the areas involved so it makes no difference and secondly, ask a player "Does this game being against Cardiff make you want to win more?" and I'd be pissed if their answer was yes. They should want to win EVERY game just as much as the next one, if they want to beat Cardiff more than they want to beat Preston then why don't they want to beat Preston as much?!

what if, leading up to the match, the players pick up on and embrace how much it means to a lot of fans.  

proper derby or not, I don't think anyone can deny this particular fixture harvests just that little bit more than most. 

This. Complete overreaction, with a full stadium you'd have twice the atmosphere. Doesn't help that Cardiff play turgid football and hate their manager. Stadium's got very little to do with it.

Agreed. The stadium itself is perfectly capable of producing an atmosphere as proven when Wales played Belgium there. The issue with modern stadia is the modern football fan that goes with it.

Archived