IGNORED

The Derby Is Dead

Welcome To The Jungle

I was talking in very broad terms about the fanbases of both clubs as a whole. The empty seats tonight prove my point - you can't deny that the fans evidently don't consider this a derby to compare with Swansea or Rovers.

However, personally speaking I do actually agree with you and I am more bothered about Cardiff than Rovers - but that's probably because I'm married into a Cardiff family!

there was a survey that was run by a Welsh paper in the lead up to the game, who is Cardiff's biggest derby Bristol City or Swansea City? 60% went for Bristol City. There did seem to be an age difference, with the younger fans opting for Swansea.

All the sneery types who like to make the little digs at the groups trying to make an atmosphere should take note, that could be our future very easily, and it could be say it's where we were untill fans groups like the YSC formed many moons ago.

Very succinct Barrs Red.

Ashton Gate was as quiet as that in the past. And that is where the future is if BCFC - Bristol Sport are not receptive to fans who are still tying to hold back that tide of "progress!"

Yep Sky apparently said City and Cardiff are 25 miles apart....what?! Bristol and Cardiff is more like 44 miles apart, may be a small point but that made me laugh!

That atmosphere tonight was just a million miles away from the old days at Ninian Park, it ain't a patch on the 'derby' from way back when...

But a great result tonight!

He did add, "if you were a crow"

Got to agree with the above about the atmosphere - many many feel the same here - football has died for me - died at Ninian.
You need a good vociferous away following for an atmosphere definately.

If they told you about your restrictions in the first place and you wanted to go fair enough but to change them 2 mweeks before is taking the piss - jeeez you have to book a train ticket before that to get the cheapest fares

I have sympathy for those fans who go to every single game and don't want to boycott but we need a co-ordinated nationwide boycott of these bastard bubbles and ridiculous travelling arrangement ( and ridiculous times for some games ) - it's killing any semblence of the game I grew up with

Yep Sky apparently said City and Cardiff are 25 miles apart....what?! Bristol and Cardiff is more like 44 miles apart, may be a small point but that made me laugh!

That atmosphere tonight was just a million miles away from the old days at Ninian Park, it ain't a patch on the 'derby' from way back when...

25 or 44? Depends whether you're a crow or a car ;) 

Got to agree with the above about the atmosphere - many many feel the same here - football has died for me - died at Ninian.
You need a good vociferous away following for an atmosphere definately.

If they told you about your restrictions in the first place and you wanted to go fair enough but to change them 2 mweeks before is taking the piss - jeeez you have to book a train ticket before that to get the cheapest fares

I have sympathy for those fans who go to every single game and don't want to boycott but we need a co-ordinated nationwide boycott of these bastard bubbles and ridiculous travelling arrangement ( and ridiculous times for some games ) - it's killing any semblence of the game I grew up with

Ninian Park was an old style Millwall Den ground haven't been to the new ground looks like another corporate fish bowl the old Bob bank terrace was bloody mental as was the old away end before they stuck a roof on it like others have said every thing bar the kitchen sink would come over wall,yeah it was intimidating inside and out of the ground especially when they divided up the away end complete with roof and had netting hanging down to stop coins and darts flying over. 

The whole derby context is hyped up by tv if fans don't care then it falls flat the all out regional West Country derby is Bristol City vs Bristol Rovers not vs Plymouth Argyle,Swindon Town,Exeter City,Cardiff City.Cheltenham.

Can't get worked up about Swindon Town get a bigger buzz beating Forest there was something about playing Rovers including the week leading up to the match that any other game just couldn't match. 

How pathetic did that top tier being closed look? I don't look forward to seeing the new west stand looking like that most games.

Embarassing - people didn't want to sit in it initially because it had red seats !! Tan built it when we were getting crowds in the Premiership not understanding that most people would bugger off as soon as we dropped - shows his level of understanding of the game 
Smaller fuller ground anyday

Never had the chance to experience a derby at Ninian Park...

But that ground last night felt stale and corporate. 

Must be a totally different experience nowadays and one that I think I've missed out on...

You missed out on one hell of an experience. After my first time at Ninian it was always the first fixture I looked for and it made the home game seem more important, I want to go to CCS at some point but I'm not in a rush.

At the end of the day, City v Cardiff isn't really a derby (although my avatar may suggest otherwise!) - but, similar to matches v Swindon, there is a bit of extra spice due to the close proximity.

As the crow flies Bristol is 26 miles from Cardiff....So for all our crow/robin et al supporters it very much is a  derby!

Joking apart Personally it is the only realistic one we are going to get and I was there in the 60-70s and no one ever thought it was not a derby!

All the sneery types who like to make the little digs at the groups trying to make an atmosphere should take note, that could be our future very easily, and it could be say it's where we were untill fans groups like the YSC formed many moons ago.

Hopefully in the near future there will be an announcement that will be part of a more joined up future, that will help to avoid what has become an unenviable reality elsewhere. We still have a small core of fans with the ability to make a difference.

Reading this thread it is evident that younger fans don't remember, and have not experienced how different and intensely felt the Severnside Derby was versus its pallid modern equivalent. An equivalent that for thousands is no longer worth travelling a short distance for.  

He did say as the crow flies!

It was no proper party even when the hordes descended on it last time from the train station.

No surprise that Chaps that could stomach all that "Yes Sir, I will" and getting on the lash with Pringles and Gingsters from the services would not give it some high octane derby atmosphere.

Not sure to call it New Ninnies or Legoland ... Either way its like a Wetherspoons now on the site where once stood a great pub.

Nininan Park was once that great, yes great away derby day.

It was no proper party even when the hordes descended on it last time from the train station.

No surprise that Chaps that could stomach all that "Yes Sir, I will" and getting on the lash with Pringles and Gingsters from the services would not give it some high octane derby atmosphere.

Not sure to call it New Ninnies or Legoland ... Either way its like a Wetherspoons now on the site where once stood a great pub.

Nininan Park was once that great, yes great away derby day.

what? The city fans yesterday were actually very vocal throughout the game and I found it a better atmosphere in the away end than it has been since they moved to CCS, the home fans were the let down in the stadium yesterday. 

And don't think heddlu were accepted with a handshake and a friendly conversation at the services, far from it. 

Growing up watching City in the 80s Cardiff always seemed a non-entity, although my Dad always talked about the atmosphere in games against them in the 1960s. I enjoyed seeing City play them at Ninian Park (coins and all) but it wasn't until when we were competing at the top of League 1 in the early 2000s that matches against them, for me, had a bit more spice. I will also never forgive them for that 6-0 win. Having said that, the rivallry against them doesn't come close to the Bristol derby. I have never felt physically sick in games against Cardiff like I have at the sight of those hideous quartered shirts.

SC is right. It's not a derby, our derby is Rovers.
We have a rivalry with Cardiff and Swindon. From my point of view i dislike Swindon more, they are in our region they bang on about Don Rogers and their awful Prem season and genuinely think they are the biggest in the West. 

Archived