IGNORED

Nathan Baker rated 50/50

Nogbad the Bad

Is Cotts. just keeping Fulham guessing?

If Baker's rated 50/50 the day before the game surely he should be ruled out? 

We've got another tough game on Tuesday and if he's close to fitness now he should be 100% by then. With his depressing history of injuries he surely needs to be absolutely recovered before resuming.

Hamstring injuries are particularly prone to be troublesome, and re occur, and even comparatively minor ones very rarely heal completely in a few days.

Williams has improved since his self admitted poor early season form, and the inclusion of an in form Joe Bryan adds something extra to the team.

Baker was playing very well before his injury and had made himself a first choice starter but he's not so indispensible we can't cope without him for one game.

The last thing we should do is attempt to rush him back, or he may be out for a lot more than one game.

Don't want to start a new topic so I'll post here. 

With Villa sacking Sherwood, any chance Baker could be recalled? Wouldn't like it all. 

As for Saturday, missing him would be a big miss against some very good attacking players. I hope he's fit but I don't want him rushed back either as he is injury prone and would rather him miss 1 or 2 compared to 6-7.

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I'd be very surprised if he was available for Tuesday's game, let alone tomorrow's.

However there is no reason at all to let Fulham know that, is there? 

Completely agree with the first sentence.  

However, I disagree with the second comment.  I hate the way football clubs lie.  It's not acceptable in any other walk of life but managers routinely tell lies to the media as a smoke screen.  Call me old fashioned but I'd rather not see it (and frankly I doubt it is at all effective).

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don't want to start a new topic so I'll post here. 

With Villa sacking Sherwood, any chance Baker could be recalled? Wouldn't like it all. 

As for Saturday, missing him would be a big miss against some very good attacking players. I hope he's fit but I don't want him rushed back either as he is injury prone and would rather him miss 1 or 2 compared to 6-7.

I don't think you can recall season long loans ...?

41 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I don't think you can recall season long loans ...?

I've got no clue personally. Can't see the loaning team have so much power though. Maybe a few would incur to put them off doing so. Well, would hate to see him leave either way. 

Im in the same thinking as BigC. Can't see him being rushed back with all the cover we have in that back 3. Think he is out until after the break with his injury history playing a huge factor. 

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I've got no clue personally. Can't see the loaning team have so much power though. Maybe a few would incur to put them off doing so. Well, would hate to see him leave either way. 

Im in the same thinking as BigC. Can't see him being rushed back with all the cover we have in that back 3. Think he is out until after the break with his injury history playing a huge factor. 

Reading up any long term loan (93+ days) would have to stipulate if they want to recall. It's generally not done as most of the time it's a season long loan so they are committed to not having the player all season.

would be interesting one for someone to ask Cotts..

16 hours ago, RedDave said:

If our best defender is out it makes a difference to me

What are you basing your assumption that Baker is our best defender on? On paper I would agree with you due to his premier league appearances/experience. For the record I think our best defender is Ayling.

1 minute ago, cynic said:

We all see it differently.

For me, Ayling is the weak link in our defence, his job is to bring the ball out which can mean problems if he loses it upfield which he was doing regularly early season. 

He nearly gave the game away against Cardiff very late on by letting his man in behind him (again), the guy should have scored the tap in but blazed it wide. 

No doubt in my mind that Baker is defensively streets ahead of Ayling, Williams, and Flint and will be a big miss if he's out for any length of time.

The fact Ayling makes his runs out from defence makes him invaluable, how many of our chances come from him moving out and starting play. It's brilliant and a joy to watch, even if he loses the odd ball. 

40 minutes ago, Ray White said:

What are you basing your assumption that Baker is our best defender on? On paper I would agree with you due to his premier league appearances/experience. For the record I think our best defender is Ayling.

No assumption.  I am basing it on having seen him play.  Easily our best defender.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

No assumption.  I am basing it on having seen him play.  Easily our best defender.

Totally agree.

His reading of the game is incredible, his timing and presence. He brings a lot of stability and confidence to our back line.

14 hours ago, Big C said:

I'll be surprised if we see him this side of the international break. I also don't think Bryan will be his automatic replacement. He may keep Williams out wide and bring in Moore

But then you'd have to have either Ayling or Moore on the left side of the three and a confused Joe Bryan sat on the bench wondering how he's gonna get back in the team.

Just now, cynic said:

He is exactly what we need and its no coincidence that our performances have looked much more solid at the back since he came in.

He's a very big miss if he's out injured.

Back to the lineup of early season...

I prefer Williams at left wing back as he's more defensively sound than Bryan. 

I'd prefer Moore to come in for Baker, you have to remember he's was an England under 21's regular so hopefully will have the same effect as Baker.

Baker is out best defender for sure. Ayling isn't the best defender but is just as important. I wouldn't be surprised if Moore came in today(if Baker is out) and Williams at LWB. Joe had a chance Monday and for me wasn't spectacular. Sure he hit the post and got in behind another time but those were the only highlights. He wasted many a cross and at times just stood still. Wasn't a bad game but enough to get him back in the side? I'm not so sure 

Archived