IGNORED

Penalty?

Rich

Did I miss the discussion on here about our penalty shout when it was 2-0? I believe it was a stonewall penalty but the ref and lino were both slightly unsighted, that sums it up when it aint going for you. I hope we didn't get our ten years luck all in one season (last).

3 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

I'm racking my brains trying to think when we had a penalty shout, what incident was it? 

First half 2 down, I think it was a short cross from around the six yard line, Williams side, from the touchline, it hit the defender on his upper arm and ran down his arm while facing goal, he then cleared it.

28 minutes ago, Rich said:

First half 2 down, I think it was a short cross from around the six yard line, Williams side, from the touchline, it hit the defender on his upper arm and ran down his arm while facing goal, he then cleared it.

Not for the first time in recent years I find myself saying I can't remember 

9 hours ago, Rich said:

Did I miss the discussion on here about our penalty shout when it was 2-0? I believe it was a stonewall penalty but the ref and lino were both slightly unsighted, that sums it up when it aint going for you. I hope we didn't get our ten years luck all in one season (last).

I don't think there is a discussion because it was so obvious.

Given what Nibor says I think the ref seems to have it right. 

What did frustrate me, though, was the referee's insistence that if someone falls over then a foul must have been committed.  Just a case of who is to blame.  It makes a nonsense of the game.

4 hours ago, Nibor said:

The ball was kicked at his arm at pace from close range. Nor in a million years was it deliberate and therefore not a penalty. 

I've only seen it once but from memory it wasn't kicked at his arm (Kodjia tried to chip it over the player), it wasn't especially at pace (reasonable pace but not a "put your laces through it" pace) and it wasn't really at close range (e.g. it wasn't a metre away).

However, I don't believe it was deliberate so the only contention was could the player have got his arm out of the way.  Probably not so I do agree with your conclusion. :)

Stonewall from where I was behind the goal - Kodjia tried to dink the ball across and it hit the defender's arm. Astonished that ref and linesman didn't see it - we'd have had a clear 'no penalty' signal if they had

I disagree that if it is unintentional it isn't a penalty, that just means he shouldn't be booked, a defender doesn't always mean to trip an opponent but fouls are still given, where's the difference?

You couldn't say it changed the game, if anything it should have spurred the team on! The freekick wasn't long after that at all, that seemed to demoralise the whole ground and was just confirmation that they were going home with 3 points

4 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

I disagree that if it is unintentional it isn't a penalty

The rules say otherwise.  The offence is called "deliberate handball".  I'd happily see the rules change to remove intent but as it stands it must be there.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not what I saw. He moved his arm to push the ball away. 

Hand-to-ball rather than vice versa.

I can't bring myself to watch the "highlights" but at the time my immediate reaction was no way, there didn't seem to be any intent at all to me.

11 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The rules say otherwise.  The offence is called "deliberate handball".  I'd happily see the rules change to remove intent but as it stands it must be there.

I can't bring myself to watch the "highlights" but at the time my immediate reaction was no way, there didn't seem to be any intent at all to me.

You are correct, which makes me wonder why in last season's Prem, the referees were told to give handball if the players hand was in an unnatural position...blatantly at odds with the laws.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You are correct, which makes me wonder why in last season's Prem, the referees were told to give handball if the players hand was in an unnatural position...blatantly at odds with the laws.

The guidance given to referees is often at fault for inexplicable decisions.  Let them do their jobs IMO.

I think any player or manager whinging about refs should simply be told that they're allowed to complain when they make fewer mistakes in 90 minutes than the ref.  It'd be very quiet...

53 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The guidance given to referees is often at fault for inexplicable decisions.  Let them do their jobs IMO.

I think any player or manager whinging about refs should simply be told that they're allowed to complain when they make fewer mistakes in 90 minutes than the ref.  It'd be very quiet...

There's a thought!

I've always said they're allowed to make mistakes, but why not allow them to explain themselves?

Archived