IGNORED

A Question Of Sport

Septic Peg

Anyone watch it tonight?

The final round of the show is On The Buzzer where anyone can buzz in to answer a question. One posed tonight by Sue was 'Ashton Gate is the home ground...?' when Matt Dawson interrupted and answered 'Bristol'. Sue encouraged him to expand on that and he said 'City'.

So does this reiterate the fact that even pro-sports persons now see us at officially the ONLY team in Bristol?

Decide for yourself...

About 27 mins in...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06nwr8t/a-question-of-sport-series-45-episode-13

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

No. It just proves that we are a backwater and outside of BS postcodes, the names of our clubs and their stadia, do not readily trip off the tongue of an Evertonian like Dawson.

That's quite an interesting point. A short while ago I was sat in a cafe in Corn Street on a Sunday morning and there were some guys in there from Liverpool who were on a stag weekend and they were certainly no spring chickens. Anyway their conversation soon came around to football so my ears *****ed up and what they said was roughly this:

"...there are still two clubs here aren't there? Yep, think that's still the case, City and Rovers. So, which divisions are they in? Not sure but I think Rovers are non league? No didn't they get promoted back? Not sure did they? Yeh, I think they did. So where are City? Aren't they in league one? They might be. No, I'm sure they are now a championship club. Are they? I thought they were lower than that. So which one plays at that stadium we past? Which one? Ashton Gate? I think that's City. Is it? Well I think so, but not sure.."

So, although the guys from a football mad city sort of got all their own questions right, they were very vague and weren't entirely sure. A couple were convinced we were in league one still and weren't sure of the name of our stadium.

Sort of put it into perspective, we are all so rightly proud of last season but it hadn't even registered with most of them.

From what I heard from that group of lads, people sort of know there are still two league clubs here but they aren't sure which divisions the two clubs are in and they aren't sure which club plays where.

21 minutes ago, Big C said:

Isn't Matt Dawson correct though? He's from Rugby and Ashton Gate is the home of Bristol. I haven't seen the programme so unless the question actually asked which football team played at Ashton Gate he should have been given it

Is Bristol FC not a Rugby football team?

When I was a kid all four league divisions got national coverage on MotD and The Big Match, albeit that Div One got greater coverage than Div Two and Div Two got more coverage than Div Three etc. Non League coverage was virtually non existent. Therefore, anyone following football even a fan of a top flight club knew pretty well who played where and in what division. However, since the advent of the Prem, only Prem matches are covered on progs like MotD, consequently fans of top flight clubs...particularly those who rarely stray from that division, usually have little inkling of what exists below them. The three lower divisions in the league have little more coverage nationally than the top div of non league now, which would've been totally unheard of when I was a kid. Really, in terms of being out of the media loop, any team that doesn't play in the Prem these days is, effectively, non league!

35 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

When I was a kid all four league divisions got national coverage on MotD and The Big Match, albeit that Div One got greater coverage than Div Two and Div Two got more coverage than Div Three etc. Non League coverage was virtually non existent. Therefore, anyone following football even a fan of a top flight club knew pretty well who played where and in what division. However, since the advent of the Prem, only Prem matches are covered on progs like MotD, consequently fans of top flight clubs...particularly those who rarely stray from that division, usually have little inkling of what exists below them. The three lower divisions in the league have little more coverage nationally than the top div of non league now, which would've been totally unheard of when I was a kid. Really, in terms of being out of the media loop, any team that doesn't play in the Prem these days is, effectively, non league!

Good point, and back in the day, top div clubs used to regularly sign players from the lower divs so their fans knew a fair bit about the whole league. Doesn't happen now...or very rarely

14 minutes ago, RedDave said:

My brother 'supports Bristol City and Manchester United' but wouldnt recognise Korey Smith if he asked him for directions in the street

He'd only have to check the name on his back .

i think pro footballers should be obliged to have their names printed on the back of all their clothes just in case nobody recognises them .

i draw the line at tattoos like Vile Ranger has on his forehead.

I take it as a compliment, it means that when people think of Bristol they only think of one club, and that's us.

No-one would ever answer "Manchester", because everyone knows you need to make the distinction between United and City.  In Dawson's mind, Bristol is synonymous with Bristol City.  It should annoy Rovers fans a lot more it annoys us!

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

On a related point, is there a more unfunny, tired, turgid, leaden footed programme on TV than QOS? 

I've had more laughs from the Syrian Civil War.

I can't watch it, makes me cringe way too much. Tuffnell and Dawson seem to regress to excitable toddlers.

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

My brother 'supports Bristol City and Manchester United' but wouldnt recognise Korey Smith if he asked him for directions in the street

Then he is what we usually call a 'fan' not a supporter.

4 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I can't watch it, makes me cringe way too much. Tuffnell and Dawson seem to regress to excitable toddlers.

Agree; talking of killing what was a great sports quiz show by the proverbial act of dumbing down. Tuffnell is just an irritating imbecile and Dawson is his tediously boring lap dog. Long time since i have watched it mind; would have thought they would have shipped those arses out years ago. Bring back Botham and Beaumont. 

6 hours ago, cider-manc said:

To be honest I think it's a general lack of football knowledge of anything outside of the Prem. I've spoken to people who (claim to) support championship teams that didn't realise we are now in the same division.

What he said. Today's Prem football fans are a very insular breed, at least the 'top' clubs fans are. Even Chelsea fan Andy Jacobs on Talksport knows little or nothing about life outside the Prem, and he should know better as he's old enough to have supported them in the old Div 2.

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

With my eyesight unless he had a red shirt with a number on I'd be in the same boat !  :blink:

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I take it as a compliment, it means that when people think of Bristol they only think of one club, and that's us.

No-one would ever answer "Manchester", because everyone knows you need to make the distinction between United and City.  In Dawson's mind, Bristol is synonymous with Bristol City.  It should annoy Rovers fans a lot more it annoys us!

That's not true though unfortunately. Rovers get the same thing with regards to being called "Bristol" every week as well.

17 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Then he is what we usually call a 'fan' not a supporter.

Agree; talking of killing what was a great sports quiz show by the proverbial act of dumbing down. Tuffnell is just an irritating imbecile and Dawson is his tediously boring lap dog. Long time since i have watched it mind; would have thought they would have shipped those arses out years ago. Bring back Botham and Beaumont. 

Talking of ' dumbing down ' i was in the UK recently and had BBC breakfast on with subtitles for my French wife to help her understand , i was astonished to see the word ' meat ' used in place of ' meet' !!!

What's going on there ?

i was chuffed to see ' Skyfall ' was on ITV as after a long journey i could just chill out in the comfort of my hotel but i had to switch it off after half an hour as there were more adverts than film .Shocking .

Sort it out Britain .

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Talking of ' dumbing down ' i was in the UK recently and had BBC breakfast on with subtitles for my French wife to help her understand , i was astonished to see the word ' meat ' used in place of ' meet' !!!

What's going on there ?

i was chuffed to see ' Skyfall ' was on ITV as after a long journey i could just chill out in the comfort of my hotel but i had to switch it off after half an hour as there were more adverts than film .Shocking .

Sort it out Britain .

BBC subtitles :They are produced by a "voice-recognition programme" operated by a contractor, not the BBC. 

A system I fought hard against and correctly foresaw would be worse than when there was an in-house subtitling department within the corporation. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

BBC subtitles :They are produced by a "voice-recognition programme" operated by a contractor, not the BBC. 

A system I fought hard against and correctly foresaw would be worse than when there was an in-house subtitling department within the corporation. 

I fort it wood bee something like that . The price of progress . :disapointed2se:

From what position did you fight hard against this idea , do you work for the Beeb ? 

Archived