IGNORED

Kickass Minnows

Major Isewater

We are all too familiar with the term ' sleeping giant ' but who do you feel is punching above their weight ?

For me  it has to be Bournemouth , only welcomed into the Premier league by those habitual strugglers hoping for an easy 6 points and i believe soon to return to their place in the shadows of our national game.

Who else has the magic at the moment ?

Ah yes, plucky little Bournemouth with their Russian billionaire backer and 172% wages-to-turnover ratio.

Swansea and Southampton are clearly the prime examples of how to do it right.

Brentford are punching above their weight at the moment too, and Burnley are a good example of a club that has done well on a relatively small budget.

West Brom. Whilst they've established themselves in the Prem I still see them as a Championship/Tier 2 club. And there's a prime example of how to do it right too.... yo-yo and become stinking rich and make a real gamble for consolidation only when the club is/was ready.

3 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Not a League club, but surely FGR has to be the non-League example.

They certainly used to be, but they're bankrolled to a frightening extent these days. They certainly overachieved to get where they are and to stay there but with the wages they've been paying in the last few seasons you'd have to call them underachievers now.

Just now, BCFC_Dan said:

They certainly used to be, but they're bankrolled to a frightening extent these days. They certainly overachieved to get where they are and to stay there but with the wages they've been paying in the last few seasons you'd have to call them underachievers now.

It's that new chairman from Vega who's pouring in the cash - isn't it?

20 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Ah yes, plucky little Bournemouth with their Russian billionaire backer and 172% wages-to-turnover ratio.

Brentford are punching above their weight at the moment too, and Burnley are a good example of a club that has done well on a relatively small budget.

I take your point, but the rise of Bournemouth began before the Russians. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

We are all too familiar with the term ' sleeping giant ' but who do you feel is punching above their weight ?

For me  it has to be Bournemouth , only welcomed into the Premier league by those habitual strugglers hoping for an easy 6 points and i believe soon to return to their place in the shadows of our national game.

Who else has the magic at the moment ?

Kickass Minnows iis definitely gonna be the name of my next band! Where shall I send the cheque?!

4 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Ha. That one took me a moment. Yes, that's the fellow. Has plans to move the club 10 miles away to a new stadium next to the M5.

Wouldn't British Aerospace be more convenient for Vega? And, if they're so eco-conscious, why a motorway and not a railway station or bus route?

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

What with their plucky £100m+ parachute payments at worst. 

Wouldn't be so sure.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Yep - get yourself into mammoth levels of debt, wipe the slate clean and, by definition, steal a march on your competitors who have to pay their way out of trouble.

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Yep - get yourself into mammoth levels of debt, wipe the slate clean and, by definition, steal a march on your competitors who have to pay their way out of trouble.

Didn't really work so well for Leeds and Portsmouth- they also had a massive restructuring of the club which is vital and not done elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Didn't we pretty much invent that practice?

Yes, Southampton got it wrong before they got it right but to their credit they've learnt from the experience.

That said, the latest Swiss Ramble blog (http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/southampton-with-or-without-you.html) shows that they're still quite heavily in debt to the owners and very reliant on revenue from player sales and TV money. Things might not look so rosy if the production line dries up and/or the owners decide to leave.

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

West Brom. Whilst they've established themselves in the Prem I still see them as a Championship/Tier 2 club. And there's a prime example of how to do it right too.... yo-yo and become stinking rich and make a real gamble for consolidation only when the club is/was ready.

West brom would be a top league club in my eyes. Going back to the late 60s early 70s were a match for most teams on there day.

Some top players then Astle, Brown,Cantello .

Then a bit later the side with Regis and Cunningham. Mad Ron Atkinson had a decent side there before he left for manu with Robson and mosses in midfield.

Just looked in up they were also a top flight team from 1949 until 1973 !!!!

28 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

West brom would be a top league club in my eyes. Going back to the late 60s early 70s were a match for most teams on there day.

Some top players then Astle, Brown,Cantello .

Then a bit later the side with Regis and Cunningham. Mad Ron Atkinson had a decent side there before he left for manu with Robson and mosses in midfield.

Just looked in up they were also a top flight team from 1949 until 1973 !!!!

Pfft is that all? Worse than Notts Forest fans for ideas above their station.  :)

I stand corrected.

Archived