IGNORED

Kodjia to be our best ever?

reddogkev

With the exception of Atyeo, could Kodjia go on to be City's finest ever striker?

Obviously, his start to the season has been exceptional and if he keeps up the goal return (even allowing for a dip in form at some stage) he will score 25+.

Now, the question is whether he stays with us next year and continues scoring highly, bearing in mind he will only be 27 and still looking forward to at least 5 good years of top football.

I know it's early in his career with us, and it's all theory at the moment, but you never know, we could be in the presence of a new BCFC legend, one who will have a statue at the ground in years to come (ok, that might be pushing it)!

So, what are the chances of him becoming a modern day giant for BCFC, and staying long enough to score 100+ goals at our club?

Love him but that would seem unlikely.

Tom Ritchie, with over 100 league goals for us and four seasons in the top flight is a pretty high bar for me..

As for 25+ I think you are super optimistic there, if he gets 18 he'll have done remarkably well.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Tom Ritchie, with over 100 league goals for us and four seasons in the top flight is a pretty high bar for me..

As for 25+ I think you are super optimistic there, if he gets 18 he'll have done remarkably well.

You know me, I love a bit of wild optimism on a Saturday morning, especially as I've been up since 6 with the kids!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves! He's made a decent start and let's hope it continues but aside from the true legend Mr Atyeo we've had Arnie Rogers (111 goals), John Galley (91), Tom Ritchie (132), Glyn Riley (77), Alan Walsh (97), Sam Gilligan (87), Tot Walsh (91), Cyril Williams (74), Jimmy Rogers (108), Bobby Williams (82), Brian Clark (89), Gerry Gow (55) and Rob Newman (61) etc...

A long way to go for JK to get a statue, but a great start by the lad!

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

You know me, I love a bit of wild optimism on a Saturday morning, especially as I've been up since 6 with the kids!

Whilst you thought you had the time to create this post, and join in the debate.  Your kids have totally trashed your living room. 

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves! He's made a decent start and let's hope it continues but aside from the true legend Mr Atyeo we've had Arnie Rogers (111 goals), John Galley (91), Tom Ritchie (132), Glyn Riley (77), Alan Walsh (97), Sam Gilligan (87), Tot Walsh (91), Cyril Williams (74), Jimmy Rogers (108), Bobby Williams (82), Brian Clark (89), Gerry Gow (55) and Rob Newman (61) etc...

This is the perfect illustration of the problem associated with defining "the finest ever". How many people can remember, for example, Jimmy Rogers? You also have to consider the level at which a person performed, whether they were in a struggling team with little support, and their position. (Alan Walsh scored a few but he played on the wing). Therefore, think it's fair to say that Kodjia is the best ever striker we've had so far this season. 

P.S. Thanks to Reddogkev for a post that helps to past the time on an awful rainy morning 

56 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cough cough 

Don't forget SuperBob ;).  

Only the 50 goals but in only 102 games

Would have been dozens more if that clown Jimmy 'Taylor won't score in second div' Lumsden hadn't sold him !!! :grr:

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Agree,will be some time before "spider" is matched..Kodjia a great signing tho and its been impressive how well he is adapting. Anywhere around the 20 goals will be a great effort.one more today please Jonathan.....

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

This is the perfect illustration of the problem associated with defining "the finest ever". How many people can remember, for example, Jimmy Rogers? You also have to consider the level at which a person performed, whether they were in a struggling team with little support, and their position. (Alan Walsh scored a few but he played on the wing). Therefore, think it's fair to say that Kodjia is the best ever striker we've had so far this season. 

P.S. Thanks to Reddogkev for a post that helps to past the time on an awful rainy morning 

I'm lucky enough to sit next to someone who does.

One of the best things about it is listening to someone who actually saw Rogers, Atyeo, etc play...

I can certainly remember Jimmy Rogers, but good lower division footballer that he was, no one would have considered him in the same league asAtyeo or Walsh and the same goes for Cyril Williams.

Brian Clark never really in the opinion of many at the time fulfilled the promise he showed when he first made it into the team.

Can we please add Cheeseley and Andy Coleto the list ?

57 minutes ago, Leveller said:

What a huge overreaction for a player who has started quite well but yet to fulfil his potential. Talented, but far from a clinical finisher yet.

With 8 goals already he's clinical enough for me.  If he was more clinical he'd be playing for Arsenal.

We always ask our strikers to do more, yet fail to see that if they did more, they'd never be with us in the first place.

40 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I can certainly remember Jimmy Rogers, but good lower division footballer that he was, no one would have considered him in the same league asAtyeo or Walsh and the same goes for Cyril Williams.

Brian Clark never really in the opinion of many at the time fulfilled the promise he showed when he first made it into the team.

Scott got 99

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Why is it "super optimistic" to say he could get 25 goals by the end of the season? He already has 8 in 15 - slightly better than 1 in 2. Keep up that rate for the rest of the season and, barring injury, 25 sounds like a pretty realistic target to me.

37 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why is it "super optimistic" to say he could get 25 goals by the end of the season? He already has 8 in 15 - slightly better than 1 in 2. Keep up that rate for the rest of the season and, barring injury, 25 sounds like a pretty realistic target to me.

Because it is a hell of an ask to expect someone with no previous experience at this level to keep up his excellent current scoring rate over a much longer period.

How many players at this level got 25 league goals last season? One, two? It rarely happens..

I'll be delighted if he does but not surprised in the slightest if he doesn't.

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Brian Clark went on to a very successful career with Cardiff. His scoring rate with us decreased when Atyeo retired, because he was no longer playing alongside a top-class player, and Brian was blamed for it.

Part of the measure of Atyeo's greatness was the difference between our performances with and without him. Look at the history of 64-65 if you disbelieve me!

Archived