IGNORED

David Moyes

Smokey

Apart from promotion ,  What did Gary Johnson ever do for us ?

You did n't answer my question.

i don't think Moyes is a bad manager and in other circumstances i would be happy to have him return to City as manager. 

I am just amused that there are a number of managers who get gig after gig and no one ever really demands what have they won .

Johnson gets lower league clubs promoted .

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What's he won ? 

League One, the Community Shield, LMA Manager of the year three times in only 12 years - quite remarkable that alone, and Premier League manager of the month 10 times.

I'd say that's a very impressive honours list myself.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Apart from promotion ,  What did Gary Johnson ever do for us ?

You did n't answer my question.

i don't think Moyes is a bad manager and in other circumstances i would be happy to have him return to City as manager. 

I am just amused that there are a number of managers who get gig after gig and no one ever really demands what have they won .

Johnson gets lower league clubs promoted .

What I was trying to say is that trophies are less of a mark of success at a club like Everton than progression. They now expect to be challenging for Europe every year. Before Moyes took over, they'd finished in the top-half once since the Premier League's inception. You can cast it aside because he didn't win anything but that would seem pretty stupid to me.

In the age of revolving doors for managers (apart from Mr Wenger) it's pretty impressive to think that Moyes has only managed 4 clubs in quite a long career.

If I was him, I'd quite fancy the challenge of taking over a lower league team and making it a long term job to get them to the top tier.

For instance you could have a crack at getting Coventry back into the Prem, using nothing but canny managerial skill.

19 minutes ago, 29AR said:

League One, the Community Shield, LMA Manager of the year three times in only 12 years - quite remarkable that alone, and Premier League manager of the month 10 times.

I'd say that's a very impressive honours list myself.

Thank you . 

I don't call that ' impressive ' .

He did a good job at Preston And Everton but like Schteve McClaren his recent record is n't great and his next appointment is critical to his career.

If I was the board I'd consider approaching him. Top manager. 

Dont get me wrong, I think Cotts is brilliant and will keep us up comfortably. However Moyes could help us step up to the next level, bring through youth players, attract top players.

People thought it would be wrong for Leciester to sack Pearson, Southampton to sack Adkins, but it helped them step up.

I would only make this exception as its Moyes. I wouldn't sack Cotts for many others. 

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Thank you . 

I don't call that ' impressive ' .

He did a good job at Preston And Everton but like Schteve McClaren his recent record is n't great and his next appointment is critical to his career.

I disagree, I think winning the LMA a quarter of the years you are managing in the Premier League is a high measure of success and quite telling he won that all the meanwhile other manager's were picking up the trophies - it really does put in to context how much he overachieved that you'd look past the glory winners for this bloke.

As for his post-Everton career I think you take 2 seasons as far too large a blot on a long-term and long established career. Yes he failed at United but I don't think there was a single man in the world who would have been successful with that team and legacy midfield, with that transfer policy solely focused for about 18 months on Ronaldo joining (and the main negotiator jumping out of role too) and in that post-Fergie fall-out. As for Sociedad meh some managers just don't do it abroad and it was a tough gig for him to take on, stupid in fact. It was a gamble with little to win (you ain't going to break in to the top 3) and all to lose.

I agree his next move is very important to his legacy but like I said it's totally alien to me that his stock is so low.

44 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I disagree, I think winning the LMA a quarter of the years you are managing in the Premier League is a high measure of success and quite telling he won that all the meanwhile other manager's were picking up the trophies - it really does put in to context how much he overachieved that you'd look past the glory winners for this bloke.

As for his post-Everton career I think you take 2 seasons as far too large a blot on a long-term and long established career. Yes he failed at United but I don't think there was a single man in the world who would have been successful with that team and legacy midfield, with that transfer policy solely focused for about 18 months on Ronaldo joining (and the main negotiator jumping out of role too) and in that post-Fergie fall-out. As for Sociedad meh some managers just don't do it abroad and it was a tough gig for him to take on, stupid in fact. It was a gamble with little to win (you ain't going to break in to the top 3) and all to lose.

I agree his next move is very important to his legacy but like I said it's totally alien to me that his stock is so low.

I'm sure he'd have given all those LMA awards up for one single trophy .

He was rightly regarded as doing a sterling job at Everton whilst they had no money.

i did n't really want to get into a discussion over the career of Moyes but more to highlight the stupidity of clubs who hire and fire the same ' names ' all the time.

I have a lot of respect for Moyes , he gave me one of my best moments ever of being a City supporter , namely the win at Wembley .

19 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Wasn't his record over the same period better than LVG?  And with infinitely less cash.

He took them from Champions to 7th. LVG also had to replace Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra amongst others. Goes without saying replacing that lot is going to cost a bomb. Totally out of his depth at United. 

3 hours ago, Cunnyfunt said:

He took them from Champions to 7th. LVG also had to replace Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra amongst others. Goes without saying replacing that lot is going to cost a bomb. Totally out of his depth at United. 

He apparently got £5 million compensation from United after his sacking. Wish I was that much of a failure!

Archived