IGNORED

Don't head that ball!!!

Bs4Red

When I was a kid there was more danger of getting dogshit in your hair from heading a ball that one of your mates had purposely 'contaminated' after stumbling across some freshly laid turd in Greville Smyth Park.

Ive heard that dogs eggs can make you go blind if you get any of it in your mouth, dunno if that's true but it could be the real reason why the Yanks have gone a bit mental over this.

I wouldn't have thought concussion was likely unless they're confusing footballs with baseballs?

7 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

From a footballing stand point this has to be good. Encourages the ball to stay on the deck. To be fair, most children under 11 just shut their eyes and pray when it comes to heading anyway.

Most under 10s can hardly lift the ball off the floor when kicking it so it doesn't matter!

No different from English FA for juniors.  I used to manage my daughter's U11 team and we weren't allowed to coach heading.   Once they get older and move up to proper pitches / offside rule etc then heading is OK.  Mind you, most girls let the ball bounce first as it hurts and "messes up their hair".

15 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

When I was a kid there was more danger of getting dogshit in your hair from heading a ball that one of your mates had purposely 'contaminated' after stumbling across some freshly laid turd in Greville Smyth Park.

Ive heard that dogs eggs can make you go blind if you get any of it in your mouth, dunno if that's true but it could be the real reason why the Yanks have gone a bit mental over this.

I wouldn't have thought concussion was likely unless they're confusing footballs with baseballs?

Arn't their footballs Egg shaped?

Being American myself, I've known of this issue over there for some time. When lawsuits are being won and money being lost, it was always going to happen.

As far as heading, I'm pretty sure it isn't the one off that worries people. I've watched programs on heading in football(soccer) and it's not just the one header. They say footballers are more likely to receive concussions and brain disease because of the repetitiveness of it. I'm sure it has more to do with letting the body and brain mature a bit more before it gets the constant trauma from heading multiple times in a session. 

I don't think it's an awful idea. As someone mentioned it encourages more play on the ground. Maybe helping the technical side of the game which the US could use. 

7 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

From a footballing stand point this has to be good. Encourages the ball to stay on the deck. To be fair, most children under 11 just shut their eyes and pray when it comes to heading anyway.

When I work in a primary school, one of the players in our school's 1st seven ( 7 a-side on small pitches) could head a ball about 15mtrs from a standing jump. SHE was a brilliant player as well. She's about 15 years old now I think she trains with the Bristol Academy Women. 

18 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Thank **** we never went to Ashton Vale then!

2 minutes ago, BCFChris said:

Thank **** we never went to Ashton Vale then!

Wouldn`t have been a problem. All the upstanding locals that use that area for dog walking do I`m sure always pick up the residue and dispose of it responsibly as anyone would if using a manicured beauty spot such as Ashton Vale. If they didn`t, I expect the cricketers who play on the village green would have something to say about it.

37 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They do reckon repetitive heading (albeit of an old fashioned leather ball) contributed to the death of Jeff Astle though.

The 'albeit' is the key here. I have known people who headed the lace on a wet one and thought they were a Rovers fan for a week...

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Being American myself, I've known of this issue over there for some time. When lawsuits are being won and money being lost, it was always going to happen.

As far as heading, I'm pretty sure it isn't the one off that worries people. I've watched programs on heading in football(soccer) and it's not just the one header. They say footballers are more likely to receive concussions and brain disease because of the repetitiveness of it. I'm sure it has more to do with letting the body and brain mature a bit more before it gets the constant trauma from heading multiple times in a session. 

I don't think it's an awful idea. As someone mentioned it encourages more play on the ground. Maybe helping the technical side of the game which the US could use. 

Wait, people were actually taking legal action because of the game their child wanted to play, knowing the rules before hand?

37 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

I think the only answer is for the kids to start wearing these... http://www.prodirectrugby.com/products/Adult-Protection-Canterbury-Ventilator-Head-Guard-True-Red-101238.aspx?

I know petr cech wears them. 

That's because his skull was smashed from being kicked in the head, rather than a football.

Archived