IGNORED

Don't head that ball!!!

Bs4Red

I don't disagree with this change to be honest.

Kids are still growing and developing at that age and in fairness would develop as footballers better if they were on a small sized pitch improving their technique with lots of touches rather than being in a position many of us probably have been; playing on near full sized pitches where the main aim is to kick it as far up field as possible from end to end.

31 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Wait, people were actually taking legal action because of the game their child wanted to play, knowing the rules before hand?

Americans. This is the country where someone sued an RV manufacturer (successfully) because they didn`t tell her that when she put it in to cruise control she couldn`t leave the wheel and go in to the back to make a cup of tea as it might crash which it did rather unsurprisingly.

19 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

When I was a kid there was more danger of getting dogshit in your hair from heading a ball that one of your mates had purposely 'contaminated' after stumbling across some freshly laid turd in Greville Smyth Park.

Ive heard that dogs eggs can make you go blind if you get any of it in your mouth, dunno if that's true but it could be the real reason why the Yanks have gone a bit mental over this.

I wouldn't have thought concussion was likely unless they're confusing footballs with baseballs?

OK I give up what are dogs eggs - are they the opposite of hens teeth?

47 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Americans. This is the country where someone sued an RV manufacturer (successfully) because they didn`t tell her that when she put it in to cruise control she couldn`t leave the wheel and go in to the back to make a cup of tea as it might crash which it did rather unsurprisingly.

My fave was the woman in the US who successfully sued a department store for not supervising their customers adequately when she fell over a toddler and broke her ankle.....it was her kid....

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

My fave was the woman in the US who successfully sued a department store for not supervising their customers adequately when she fell over a toddler and broke her ankle.....it was her kid....

The key`s in the word `successfully`. If the court just told them to get out and not to be so bloody stupid it would stop overnight.

The balls now are about the same weight as the cheap nasty plastic ones back in the day.  The leather ones in the 1980's, once the coating had come off and became wet, weighed a metric ton, hurt like hell while kicking the things with boots on.   should you be daft enough to head the bloody thing it was going to hurt.  You were lucky to raise the thing above head height due to the heavy-ness .  One of those in the face and you knew about it!!

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

They do reckon repetitive heading (albeit of an old fashioned leather ball) contributed to the death of Jeff Astle though.

They do indeed, and The Jeff Astle Foundation has been set up in his memory to raise awareness of brain injury in support.  More information here:

http://www.thejeffastlefoundation.co.uk/home

The rules in kids football in the UK up to under nines e.g no pressing goal;kicks generally discourage the ball being sent airwards. This does not prevent some "coaches" asking kids to go long. Some kids at seven and eight can go back to front and hit the other box without the ball bouncing on a six a side pitch.. Again that can be countered by awarding penalties for lumping it.

22 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

From a footballing stand point this has to be good. Encourages the ball to stay on the deck. To be fair, most children under 11 just shut their eyes and pray when it comes to heading anyway.

True to an extent, they just need to be coached better. 

12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The key`s in the word `successfully`. If the court just told them to get out and not to be so bloody stupid it would stop overnight.

Just think how many cases wouldn't be brought to court if the court used common sense, and how much less money lawyers would make.

I smell a rat in the legal system.

11 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Just think how many cases wouldn't be brought to court if the court used common sense, and how much less money lawyers would make.

I smell a rat in the legal system.

As much to do with their medical insurance system. Generally, people do not just make nonsense claims. They get hurt. Here we pop along to the local hospital. Their medical insurance has clauses which mean they have to follow advice re counter claims. If you do not follow it, you do not get health care. Here, I suspect the football authorities are as much worried about claims as health of the children. 

Breeds a whole culture of lawyers, and then stupid claims for those just chasing the dosh.

Archived