IGNORED

Academy players poached; any done OK ?

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

aron Davies has a pro contract too at Fulham - Of course none will get near the first team, based on latest figures of clubs that develop Academy players into first team players. Chelsea one of the worst .

Read this to see how poor most are 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10058264/which-premier-league-team-has-the-most-youth-academy-graduates-in-their-squad

Also ...

Club-trained players in the Premier League have been given just 7.7 per cent of playing time this season, the lowest of Europe's top five leagues, a new study has revealed.

The Premier League ranks fourth-bottom of the 32 European leagues identified in the study, released by the CIES Football Observatory in Switzerland, while just 11.7 per cent of squads in the English top flight have club-trained players.

Which makes it an even bigger disgrace that they are going around poaching any half decent player from the lower leagues (in europe) . They should have greater limitations placed on them, squad size for example to stop them stripping the lower leagues. If a lad is good enough, they will shine. Deli Ali demonstrated that.

English football heading for a big problem, low levels of English players available, and Prem income due to soar out of all proportion. The lucky ones will prosper the game as a whole will continue to suffer. 

Interesting stats....you have to question what has driven such results.

I have my own theories on it...one of which is that Academy players get into a comfort zone and think they've already made it.

They lose the drive so to speak.

Some of the Prem kids are on a fortune before they make the first team....they need extra incentive it seems.

I heard a stat on 5 live earlier in the week which stated (stand to be corrected but I'm sure this was it)...

Of all players signing for clubs aged 16 only 4% are still in professional football aged 18. Of that 4% that remain, 2 years later aged 20 only 2% remain (that is 2% of the 4% and not 2% of the original) are still in professional football.

By my calculations that means that if every league club signed 20 players aged 16 that's 1,840 players.
After 2 years it's dwindled to 73 players.
After 4 years there is just 1.5 player left (I guess that's 1 player + 1 injured player)....

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I heard a stat on 5 live earlier in the week which stated (stand to be corrected but I'm sure this was it)...

Of all players signing for clubs aged 16 only 4% are still in professional football aged 18. Of that 4% that remain, 2 years later aged 20 only 2% remain (that is 2% of the 4% and not 2% of the original) are still in professional football.

By my calculations that means that if every league club signed 20 players aged 16 that's 1,840 players.
After 2 years it's dwindled to 73 players.
After 4 years there is just 1.5 player left (I guess that's 1 player + 1 injured player)....

Not disputing it but it does seem on the low side. I could understand if it was just talking about prem clubs but surely there must be more home grown players than that the further down the pyramid you go. If it was on 5live there is every chance they were just talking about the prem as they don`t consider football exists outside of it.

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not disputing it but it does seem on the low side. I could understand if it was just talking about prem clubs but surely there must be more home grown players than that the further down the pyramid you go. If it was on 5live there is every chance they were just talking about the prem as they don`t consider football exists outside of it.

Seems very low to me too which it why I said I stand to be corrected. Trying to recall who said it - it was an ex footballer regular and I lean towards J Jenas.. Pretty sure it was Monday as they were trying to name a team from ex non league players who have moved up to the top division, i.e Vardy. Pretty sure Graham Taylor was there as well but my memory is not as good as it was.

Whatever the figure - the point remains the same, the vast majority do not make and drop to non league and a few of them (Vardy) do make it later.

Archived