IGNORED

City deaf through to cup semi

MrBibs

4 hours ago, MrBibs said:

Well done to City Deaf FC. Hard fought 3-2 win over Peterborough Deaf at Keynsham this afternoon

....look forward to hearing they've made it through to the final.

I'm sure lots of Reds will join me in a big shout out to them ...

WELL DONE LADS, HOPE YOU GO ON TO WIN THE FINAL!!! .... 

(sorry for making tthat cheap shot, couldnt resist, sentiments genuine though, well done and good luck!) 

It was quite surreal in that the match was played in near total silence (No O'Driscoll jokes please!) and really made me think how testing life must be for deaf people.  The majority of the supporters were deaf and using sign language. I think the draw is made early next week, possibly Tuesday, but it was a bit difficult communicating.  Really enjoyed it and lots of big smiles. Hope it's better advertised and there's a bigger turn out if the semi is at home.

1 hour ago, BCFCS82 said:

Since when has taking the mickey about a disability been funny anymore? 

I would like to say well done for the lads on this achievement, does anyone know where the semi final will be played?

Then the final if we reach it?

You're right, not funny, ill-judged, no excuses,  I apologise for any offence cauysed (sp ) caused... Sorry  ..... Good luck to the team going forward & all connected to them..go get that Cup! 

I was there at the start of the game and I've got to say that the quality of football was better than expected. Communication between players was almost ESP.

Also Impressed with the setup at Keynsham. Portishead  Girls had both under 13s and under 12s play on the same 4G pitch before the City game and both games we played to a good standard. Not sure if it would have been the same on a wet muddy pitch.

A pity we had to leave when we did. 

I hadn't thought about it before but I'm surprised that there haven't been any deaf professional footballers; I can't see it as a particular bar to playing. Not hearing the manager ranting on would help you concentrate on the game. I accept you couldn't hear the whistle but there are ways around that.

And people do lose their hearing as an adult, I worked with one bloke whose career had been as an entertainer on cruise ships but had to change careers after going deaf.

Maybe there has been.

16 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Deaf people have a sense of humour too! As do most disabled people. Its not the comment its about the tone, most of us know when someone is making a lighthearted joke and when someone is being an obnoxious git!

Anyway Well done to them! Good Luck!

Agreed.  Making light of things when well-intentioned is a hundred times better than being ignored or being viewed as a disability first and a person second.

Too many people should just treat disabilities and disabled people as part of the mix.

I'll tell you what's far more offensive - being in a wheelchair and the never ending tide of people telling you how brave you are, or how great your wheelchair is -  because "shit, its a disabled person, I don't know what else to say".  When was the last time you had a pair of shoes where every person you met felt they needed to mention them.  Think about it.

Far too many people trying to hard to be politically correct.

9 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Agreed.  Making light of things when well-intentioned is a hundred times better than being ignored or being viewed as a disability first and a person second.

Too many people should just treat disabilities and disabled people as part of the mix.

I'll tell you what's far more offensive - being in a wheelchair and the never ending tide of people telling you how brave you are, or how great your wheelchair is -  because "shit, its a disabled person, I don't know what else to say".  When was the last time you had a pair of shoes where every person you met felt they needed to mention them.  Think about it.

Far too many people trying to hard to be politically correct.

Couldn't agree more. It's amazing how many people get offended on behalf of others when they probably don't know any deaf people themselves. Nothing on this thread has been offensive or derogratory. Common sense needs to be applied.

52 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Couldn't agree more. It's amazing how many people get offended on behalf of others when they probably don't know any deaf people themselves. Nothing on this thread has been offensive or derogratory. Common sense needs to be applied.

Nothng that we can see now anyway.

Though I agree with the point about those who seem deperate to be offended on other people's behalfs.  I had a couple of Jewish friends way back when, if somebody had suggested that they were offended by Christmas they would have laughed at them.

Archived