IGNORED

Korey Smith

Ivorguy

Anyone else find it strange that on today's City news site Smith says staying up in this league will represent a significant achievement for a young squad ?

Why is the manager setting such low expectations, and the players accepting them?

This seems to me to leave a lot to be desired on the man management front.

If they are not careful relegation will appear to be almost acceptable.

I think the guy is just being honest, we as fans on the "where will we finish" thread seems to back this mind set up,

lets get this season under our belts then start preparing for the big promotion push over the next decade, cos that's how long i think it will take !  ( ducks head under parapet ) ;)

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Anyone else find it strange that on today's City news site Smith says staying up in this league will represent a significant achievement for a young squad ?

Why is the manager setting such low expectations, and the players accepting them?

I expect that as soon as we hit 50 points the players won't bother turning up for the remaining fixtures. They'll probably all head to Vegas or something.

21 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Simply because it would?

Don't get me wrong I had (and still have) higher expectations and think we'll be somewhere around mid table come the end of the season. However that's not to say staying up of itself won't be a significant achievement.

For me the "this young squad" is the point that sticks out,in that context it would be achievement. We do lack experience at this level and this first season will benefit us massively,as long as we stay up mind you.

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Were you expecting more than just staying up then?

Staying up represents progress in my opinion...

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

500x1000px-LL-2d721750_you-cant-handle-t

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Were you expecting more than just staying up then?

Staying up represents progress in my opinion...

Not really what you want to hear from players at this stage of the season though. It would have also been nice to take the momentum and use it.  If that's what's being said in the dressing room then that's frightening. Let's see how it goes and let's hope that's just Smith but with that attitude we'll be f**^^*^<

But just maybe this player attitude is what has got us in this pickle

No professional sportsperson should be allowed by the coaches to express such a negative view for fear it becomes self fulfilling

I really am getting worried at what is going on at Ashton Gate - maybe Hamer and Fredericks didn't like this attitude either

40 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Not really what you want to hear from players at this stage of the season though. It would have also been nice to take the momentum and use it.  If that's what's being said in the dressing room then that's frightening. Let's see how it goes and let's hope that's just Smith but with that attitude we'll be f**^^*^<

Why's it frightening? It's hardly what they're aiming for, do you really think they're not aiming to win every match? It's frustrating players can't come out and tell it how it is without people reacting before they've engaged their brain.

The fact staying up would signify an achievement does not mean they're aiming for 21st. You're putting words in his mouth when he could have come out with a bland monotone interview.

We're going to look pretty silly if we get relegated with this brand new stadium.

I can't imagine SL thinking 'I'll build a big shiny new stadium, but allow the manger to build a team that will be flirting with relegation all season'.

Hopefully that won't be the case...but imo, are not a strong outfit in this league. We are just a few injuries or suspensions away from disaster.

We are riding our luck with such a small squad, lacking experience and quality in this league.

Archived