IGNORED

19th of November 1977

bristolcitysweden

I can't be bothered to look this up but I seem to remember in our first 3 seasons in the top flight, we matched Liverpool in our Home away fixtures.

2-1 defeat away 2-1 win Home, next season 1-1 and 1-1 and then 1-0 and 1-0.

this was against probably the best team in Europe at the time.

in our first season we also did the north London double, doing the double over Arsenal and Spurs.

This is all from memory and maybe I dreamt it,  it seems unlikely when you've had to endure the following 35 years.

24 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I can't be bothered to look this up but I seem to remember in our first 3 seasons in the top flight, we matched Liverpool in our Home away fixtures.

in our first season we also did the north London double, doing the double over Arsenal and Spurs.

This is all from memory and maybe I dreamt it,  it seems unlikely when you've had to endure the following 35 years.

We have been well and truly punished for behaving so badly against invincibles like Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs.

Also beat the mighty Leeds.

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Ah, the seventies! The young uns just wouldn't believe it!

We smashed Man U home and away in 1974/5 and stuffed em at Old Trafford in 1978 with Kev's hatrick!

We won away at Liverpool in 1976 and beat em again at home in 1979.

And as you said, we stuffed Spurs and Arsenal home and away in 1976/7.

Heady days and great memories, especially the 38,000 attendance against Liverpool at home....

12 hours ago, harrys said:

Was there, a Sir Gerry Gow equaliser from 30 yards

Me too, interesting experience supporting City quietly from the middle of the surging Kop.

Joey Jones scored an almost equally spectacular goal for them too iirc.

This game must have been Joe Royle's away debut after joining City on loan and scoring 4 against Middlesbro' the week before.

Cormack got a great reception, not so sure about JR.

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Me too, interesting experience supporting City quietly from the middle of the surging Kop.

Joey Jones scored an almost equally spectacular goal for them too iirc.

This game must have been Joe Royle's away debut after joining City on loan and scoring 4 against Middlesbro' the week before.

Cormack got a great reception, not so sure about JR.

Thought Dalgliesh scored for them? You're probably right though, quite a frightening experience being stood in Lime Street Station after the game as a young teenager, naughty Scousers picking off City fans and nicking their DM's!!

20 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I think it says in one of the miscellany books on us, that we have one of the best historical records against Liverpool 

33 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Reading the results in the morning paper on the Sunday my team Liverpool only made a draw at home to Bristol City who were just above the relegation line. I changed team and have never looked back. In the next round one single player scored all goals for City. Who was he? 

Dunno but I bet it was only a matter of time before you slagged him off.

It's strange to think our big new stadium when finished and full to the seams, will still be more than 10,000 less fans than that Liverpool home game and quite a few thousand short of many other games.

i often think back and wonder how the hell did we get that many in, without losing a few to being crushed to death. It was certainly a struggle to catch your breath squeezed against a crush barrier when the crowd surged down the terrace.

My only ever trip on Supporters Club coach. I remember Dalglish scored first and Gerry Gow hit a thunderous long range shot that hit the bar and rebounded in off Ray Clemence's back - technically an og. Scouser tried to nick my scarf in the toilets during the game and later got kicked in Stanley Park on way back to the coach. Also involved in scuffle with Man Utd fans in service station on M5. Good day out for the 70s.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

It's strange to think our big new stadium when finished and full to the seams, will still be more than 10,000 less fans than that Liverpool home game and quite a few thousand short of many other games.

i often think back and wonder how the hell did we get that many in, without losing a few to being crushed to death. It was certainly a struggle to catch your breath squeezed against a crush barrier when the crowd surged down the terrace.

I've been told that the EastEnd, when terracing, could accommodate 10000 fans...presumably the Open End had a similar capacity.

If that's true it's amazing considering both ends were relatively small compared to other much larger banks of terracing at grounds in the North.

Archived