IGNORED

Swansea ground and things we could look at.

wayne allisons tongues

Went to Swansea yesterday, birthday treat for my son who has started supporting them. Luckily he still comes with me to watch the mighty reds.

I don't know if as a club we look at other grounds but a few thing I think we could improve on.

Vormatories all had plastic/glass on top of them and view wasn't blocked at all.

2 large scoreboards one each end of ground on a long stand so didn't intefere with views. These helped build atmosphere with showing of past games and interviews. Plus was showing a constant stream of ads on bottom of each screen which would improve revenues.

Advertising boards electronic which showed players on them at same time as main scoreboards which was clever. Also they showed ads around pitch and on other side across top facing crowd showed local ads generating more revenue.

Kiosks quick service plenty of choice including chips, pulled pork and meal deals and service was fast. You paid and another person got your order whilst you paid and if hot food they were preparing as you paid. Lot quicker than Ashton Gate and seemed to be very very busy.

Music before game was good was able to work crowd up and they seemed to go with it. 

Club shop was large but not massive but really well set out and Swansea and ospreys stuff was on display but in different sections and plenty of staff to help and a very large variety of stock on sale. Lots more than what we have at present, think we could improve on that front.

I love Ashton Gate and wouldn't swap it for the world but I hope our club are looking at things like at Swansea and looking to improve things at Ashton Gate and are open to ideas to make the whole experience so much better for everyone.

God I hate how you can't look anywhere nowadays with seeing some bloody advert or another. 

Not saying I don't understand its need in terms of generating revenue but it's depressing as hell constanly being bombarded with images about stuff you don't need. 

Quick kiosk cues however, can't complain about that one. 

48 minutes ago, RedSA said:

God I hate how you can't look anywhere nowadays with seeing some bloody advert or another. 

Not saying I don't understand its need in terms of generating revenue but it's depressing as hell constanly being bombarded with images about stuff you don't need. 

Quick kiosk cues however, can't complain about that one. 

I agree about the adverts, but in this day of Ffp or scmp we need to make what we can when we can. Seeing how other teams do it then surely we must take notice and think how it's possible to increase this.

I thought it was really refreshing yesterday, watching the game and not seeing the  electronic sideline boards.

My eyes are constantly drawn to them and it really detracts from the game experience for me.

I know they will never get rid of them and I  have to chalk it up to just another modern day football thing I dislike. 

Stevo

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Son supporting Swansea? He doesn't need encouragement - he needs discipline and a stern lecture if his attitude doesn't improve quickly :yes:

I know, but now living in Manchester prefer him to support them instead of one of the prem big boys. He started supporting them when Martinez was in charge and said to me why can't  city pass the ball like that. But always watches city with me. Was 4 and a half hours each way on the train so he knows it will be a rare treat to watch them went on the Friday evening and came back yesterday.

2 minutes ago, bert tann said:

You don't need to go as far as Swansea to find an outstanding club superstore.

Club%20Shop.jpg

The model that all other clubs aspire to. There really is no need to go anywhere else for all your Christmas shopping and there`s Santa`s Grotto for the little ones too!

I presume the barrier on the left is used when the queues threaten to become unmanageable to prevent things turning ugly?44

Eat your hearts out Cribbs Causeway.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

No it isn't. It's built on the site of the old copper smelting works, and as such is close to the workers houses etc associated with the former industry there, and very much within the urban area of the city. Not exactly Ayers Rock.

so its not "out on a limb"from the city centre/train station/pubs then?

6 minutes ago, Olympian said:

I believe that Swansea sing about something called the "Vetch Field". Is that what you're looking at?

I know that and went there many a time. :ph34r:

It's nowhere near the Vetch. Not far from Morisson (sp) hospital for those that know the area.

50 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Do you live in Wales ? Or have any connection with Swansea ,if not why let your son support Swansea ans why take him.

No connection with wales or Swansea. He started supporting them when Martinez was in charge and has supported them ever since. To be honest makes a change from supporting the same 4 big teams and living in Manchester his school mates aren't impressed 90% are either blue or red. Which I find good that the kids up here support there local sides.

It was his 16th birthday last week and promised to take him to a game. Getting tickets isn't easy only odd ones available around the ground every game. Got 2 a row apart and 5 seats difference, most games are sold out or very much sold out, but will both be at Rotherham Saturday.

14 minutes ago, ciderup said:

I know that and went there many a time. :ph34r:

It's nowhere near the Vetch. Not far from Morisson (sp) hospital for those that know the area.

There are a few pubs within 10 mins of ground but Frankie and bennies and harvester opposite the ground were packed.

Asked a few fans what do they do before the game and they mostly drank in the ground and got food there prices were reasonsble.A couple just turned up just before kick off, or had something to eat in retail park 2 mins away.

4 hours ago, archie andrews said:

yeah with no traffic about good 25 minute walk all uphill

So it's roughly about 'as out on a limb' as Ashton Gate then, compensating for the hill...? 

Mainly street parking and industrial estates , there is also a park and ride that can be used. We stayed Friday night and came back Saturday, but was only a 20 min walk from centre to ground. Regular bus service from centre to ground at least 4 different routes on match day went to stadium, which quite a few people used.

They even closed roads around ground after game to let people leave safely. Why can't we do that?

6 hours ago, archie andrews said:

I take it you've never been there?

if the gate is out on a limb then swanseas ground is middle of nowhere

bit like halfway down the portway but an uphill walk hope that helps

Not quite sure why you are soon keen to slate Swansea.  Their stadium is on the edge of the city, but still very much in the city, and you can walk to it from the city centre and train station in about 20 minutes.  Ashton Gate is a very similar scenario - except it would take you twice as long to walk to the ground from Temple Meads.  So actually, there is a pretty good argument to say Ashton Gate is more "out on a limb" than the Liberty.

Archived