IGNORED

Rugby Attendences

CITYAREREDANDWHITE

4 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Should be really worrying Bristol Sport that Bristol are onlAbsolutelyle to attract 5,000 in at the moment, they should be aiming for double that every game. 

Anyone know why Attendences have dropped so much this season? 

Probably people getting fed up with winning the league several times and still not getting promoted.Absolutely disgraceful.

15 minutes ago, cynic said:

It does seem a bit stupid and time they changed it so that the champions are rewarded for actually winning the bloody thing.

If they have to have playoffs, then change the format like football - champions and play off winners go up.

A few posters have hit the nail on the head, the format is crazy and for a top club like Bristol they are playing effectively friendlies. I will be taking up my free tickets for the London Scottish game but wouldn't go to a game where I have to pay until the play offs.

They have increases the prices significantly since last season, which has left fans annoyed considering the quality of opposition isn't any better, for instance last season I could take a few friends along at a fiver each but now it's about 15 quid for them to go and a tenner for me

30 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

They have increases the prices significantly since last season, which has left fans annoyed considering the quality of opposition isn't any better, for instance last season I could take a few friends along at a fiver each but now it's about 15 quid for them to go and a tenner for me

Can understand the disappointment, but anyone that thinks £5 was either long term or sustainable is sadly mistaken. 

When I went to the rugby earlier this season as part of that free ticket deal for STH the crowd was very sparse. It was quite sad to see. Not sure what sort of crowds Bristol would expect if they  get promoted but it clearly needs to happen sooner rather than later.

31 minutes ago, Offside said:

When I went to the rugby earlier this season as part of that free ticket deal for STH the crowd was very sparse. It was quite sad to see. Not sure what sort of crowds Bristol would expect if they  get promoted but it clearly needs to happen sooner rather than later.

At The Mem Bristol were pretty much selling out every week when in the Prem. I do think there is a small amount of 'anti Ashton' amongst some Bristol fans, but I think if they do get promoted this time, then 5 figure attendances will be fairly common.

Bath is also a problem, I live in Hanham, and I see plenty of Bath shirts around, but very few Bristol ones, Bristol's prolonged absence from the top flight has exacerbated this problem.

1 minute ago, Miahdennehy said:

Bath is also a problem, I live in Hanham, and I see plenty of Bath shirts around, but very few Bristol ones, Bristol's prolonged absence from the top flight has exacerbated this problem.

There was even a poster advertising Bath RFC tickets at Bristol Temple Meads.

53 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm amazed the format has survived as long as it has. As others have alluded to, I understand that Bristol are all but certain to finish in the playoffs, rendering almost every fixture insignificant until the playoffs at the end of the season.

Why can't they promote the champions and have playoffs for 2nd - 5th?

Because only one team promoted!

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes, I know that, clearly I'm suggesting they promote two!

I think Bristol rather shot themselves in the foot over that. I believe they were a prem side when that was decided on and they voted for it not thinking they`d be relegated.

I could be totally wrong about the whole thing though - it`s just what I`ve been told by a Bath fan.

56 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm amazed the format has survived as long as it has. As others have alluded to, I understand that Bristol are all but certain to finish in the playoffs, rendering almost every fixture insignificant until the playoffs at the end of the season.

Why can't they promote the champions and have playoffs for 2nd - 5th?

It's survived as long as it has because the clubs vote for it. It gives them all some hope of promotion. Even clubs like London Welsh can go up when they wouldn't stand a chance if it was champions only going up. There is no chance of the rules changing to allow 2 to go up because the premiership won't send 2 down, in fact they're not keen on promotion and relegation at all.

7 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

It's survived as long as it has because the clubs vote for it. It gives them all some hope of promotion. Even clubs like London Welsh can go up when they wouldn't stand a chance if it was champions only going up. There is no chance of the rules changing to allow 2 to go up because the premiership won't send 2 down, in fact they're not keen on promotion and relegation at all.

Ah, OK. Cheers for explaining - I'm no expert on the egg chasing. It strikes me that the one-promoted system serves the interest of the Premiership teams with little regard for attendances and development of the game at the lower level. But like I said I'm no expert and might be out of my depth here!

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Ah, OK. Cheers for explaining - I'm no expert on the egg chasing. It strikes me that the one-promoted system serves the interest of the Premiership teams with little regard for attendances and development of the game at the lower level. But like I said I'm no expert and might be out of my depth here!

No, you are not out of your depth. You have hit the nail well and truly on the head. It's not rocket science CR.

I haven't been down to the egg chasing this season, yet. Do they have all 3 stands open with a crowd of 5K? If they don't (finally) get up, that's going to look really silly with 27,000 seats (as will our 15/16K tbh).

Will BS start shutting stands if their crowds stay the same? Opening the Dolman and South stands without the Atyeo gives them 12,000 doesn't it, maybe more?

when you consider the league is worth little more than qualification to the play offs what is the point in a season ticket? I was certainly interested in a dual ticket but not whilst the games I pay for are worth, for Bristol, the sum of attempting to finish fourth. 

I'm no expert but it seems Bristol can finish in a play off position without really breaking sweat, resting star players at regular intervals etc.

Then unlike other seasons, when they've gone all out to win the league only to run out of steam in the play offs, this year they'll time their run to peak next April/May.

Thus making most if the season meaningless and not really worth turning up to. 

It beggars belief why clubs don't make a stand against this ridiculous system.  A bit like our FA and others allowing FIFA to go on for so long, no fight in these organisations nowadays.

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I'm no expert but it seems Bristol can finish in a play off position without really breaking sweat, resting star players at regular intervals etc.

Then unlike other seasons, when they've gone all out to win the league only to run out of steam in the play offs, this year they'll time their run to peak next April/May.

Thus making most if the season meaningless and not really worth turning up to. 

It beggars belief why clubs don't make a stand against this ridiculous system.  A bit like our FA and others allowing FIFA to go on for so long, no fight in these organisations nowadays.

I would imagine all the power (as in football) is with the top division. Unless they want a change, which won't happen unless there's no promotion at all, Bris are stuck with the daft system that exists at the mo. 

Bear in mind finishing 1st in their top division means nothing either!

Archived