IGNORED

Would you splash the cash in Jan?

reddogkev

Is it worth us (attempting) to chuck around a few million in January?

If I was SL I'd think long and hard about sanctioning a move for a player in the region of 5 -7 million quid.  Or perhaps two players in the 3 - 4 million bracket.

Now the above statement is all rather simplistic, which obviously football transfers are not, but do you think we should try this in Jan?

I can see arguments for and against this possible strategy.

Thoughts?

And who would you try to sign?

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

For instance, not quite a whopper I know, but should we make a £2.5 million bid for Bradshaw???  We all know the lad's good and has bags of potential.

Not interested in potential, we need proven championship quality

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Don't disagree with you about wanting Champ quality, but no reason why his ability and potential couldn't quickly be converted into Championship quality.

The concern would be that it will take him time to adjust, I would be all for these signings in the summer.

Hopefully the sobering first half of the season will bring some realism and focus to our dealings. We need another striker if Burns isn't going to feature but most importantly we need a proven championship midfielder. That should be a priority and one we should be willing to pay for. A back-up keeper is needed too.

And sign Bennett permanently.

I can see us being activity in the market , whether that means further loans or buying players. I think the club as a whole will do what ever they can within reason to stay in your league this season especially with the ground redevelopment complete.

On a separate note, is anybody expecting a new player in before the loan deadline closes (Thursday I believe)

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Hopefully the sobering first half of the season will bring some realism and focus to our dealings. We need another striker if Burns isn't going to feature but most importantly we need a proven championship midfielder. That should be a priority and one we should be willing to pay for. A back-up keeper is needed too.

And sign Bennett permanently.

Agree with the midfielder, although a back up keeper is needed I think the club may use the 'emergency' loan option , rightly or wrongly

17 minutes ago, Super said:

Def another striker and a CM. Fear for us if we don't bring in anyone.

Agreed on this. We're one or two signings away from being comfortable enough to stay up IMO. If Freeman can get his game in gear that'll be like a new signing in itself but we can't rely on Kodjia to be scoring every week and need another striker to be chipping in IMO if we're going to be confident of being comfortable.

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

For instance, not quite a whopper I know, but should we make a £2.5 million bid for Bradshaw???  We all know the lad's good and has bags of potential.

Hasn't he scored less league goals than Kodjia so far, in League one..?

What makes him worth £2.5 million in your eyes? 

Only if a really good midfielder is available cheaply.

We're good enough to stay up without additions and it's unlikely that any additions would push us into promotion contention, so there is no reason to buy at a time when players tend to be overpriced.

Far better to keep the powder dry and hope that a solid first season and a completed stadium allow us to attract the kind of players next summer that we couldn't get this summer.

Definitely a strong centre midfielder is must for me, nothing against Pack as he's been OK this year but still the one place I'd like to see some improvement. 

Hopefully after success of Kodjia, City might not be so hesistent to look abroad again as it's better value with right players, or even look long term with good lower league players 

2 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

We definitely need a midfielder.

I hate getting on individuals' backs, but I have serious doubts about whether Pack is good enough for this level. Hope he proves me wrong.

I quite like the guy but unfortunately I agree not good enough for this level but finding someone who will be good enough for a playoff/promotion push to replace him is going to be difficult - I would say the team is good enough to stay up so don't mess around and look to spend the money in Jan, giving Pack just a little more time prove his worth.

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Many of you stating we need a central midfielder, so how much would you be prepared to pay for the right man?

There are bargains around abroad, Leicester spent 400k on Mahrez for example. If you buy British you have to pay crazy amounts these days.

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The point about midfielders is the lack of cover should either Pack or Smith get injured. We would be really chancing it if didn't get someone else in.

I guess the real question should be - do we need a permanent or loan midfielder, I would say go to the loan market and wait for summer to do something more permanent.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

£2.5m seems incredibly high to me. How does that fit in with what we paid for previously high scoring Agard?

Bradshaw's got 18 months left on his contract and has never played above L1.

He's got less apps., & goals, for Wales U.21 - 1 in 8 - than Wes (6 in 14) despite being 3 years older.

800k tops, and we may as well offer them Burns in part exchange too if we're going to sign similar players that force him even further down the pecking order.

Alternatively...... give Wes a run and save the money for other positions?

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

£2.5m seems incredibly high to me. How does that fit in with what we paid for previously high scoring Agard?

He's got less apps., & goals, for Wales U.21 - 1 in 8 - than Wes (6 in 14) despite being 3 years older.

800k tops, and we may as well offer them Burns in part exchange too if we're going to sign similar players that force him even further down the pecking order.

He wouldn't be my choice but lots of people don't seem to grasp the value of what he means to Walsall or any selling club.

Walsall - 3rd in the league. He's probably their main striker, his 'value' to the team is probably a couple of million because of the cost of replacing him. 

Likewise Afobe, is he 'worth' 9-10m or whatever Norwich bid, no probably not. Is he 'worth' that to Wolves who were eyeing top 6 without time to replace him? Yes probably.

Look at ourselves, what is Kodjia's true value? Well, atleast double. Would we accept 5m? I hope not because of the value of replacing him.

Experienced CM is a must imho.

If Smith or Pack get injured we are screwed in that position.

Both need competition for their places...plus we do need that quality and experience in that position.

It would be fool hardy to think both players will go injury or suspension free all season...or have dips in form.

I'd invest in midfield...and loan in other positions until the summer.

Archived