IGNORED

BBC3

Red-Robbo

All online from February. 

Yet another reason not to click the on button on the telly. If BBC4 went that way, I'd seriously be lobbying to get rid of the thing.

What I don't get is how this is supposed to be saving much money, if  they are still making the shows but just not broadcasting them?

They confirmed it today. And set the time scale. 

Family Guy and American Dad are two of the few things I watch on TV.

The slow death of it probably began when the awful Danny Cohen took over a controller of it a few years back and axed the very wondeful Ideal - the best thing Johnny Vegas has ever.done

The vast majority of BBC3 programming- especially the stuff they make themselves- is utter shite. It's become a dumping ground for low-rent comedy and poorly conceived reality shows, aimed at the 'yoof'. Other than the aforementioned family guy, I really don't think it'll be missed. Anyway, if you have Sky, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc., the iplayer app that's available on those will presumably still carry all the content so you can watch it through the tv in a more 21st century manner

40 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They confirmed it today. And set the time scale. 

Family Guy and American Dad are two of the few things I watch on TV.

The slow death of it probably began when the awful Danny Cohen took over a controller of it a few years back and axed the very wondeful Ideal - the best thing Johnny Vegas has ever.done

Both have been bought by ITV.

BBC3 are playing all the episodes right now, and it's also on BBC2 now and again. It's so people become bored of it before it moves.

23 minutes ago, Super said:

Rarely watch anything on bbc3 or 4, pretty pointless channels really.

For you maybe, but I think the documentaries, music programmes and foreign crime series on BBC4 is worth £2:80 a week all on its own.

I rarely watch BBC1 or 2. Never watch ITV1.

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yet another reason not to click the on button on the telly. If BBC4 went that way, I'd seriously be lobbying to get rid of the thing.

What I don't get is how this is supposed to be saving much money, if  they are still making the shows but just not broadcasting them?

BBC4 is great, but find BBC3 to be utter turd, on the whole. Would be bad if BBC4 went, but cannot be that arsed if BBC3 is given the bum's rush. Appreciate your comment about the logic of only showing online.

23 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

For you maybe, but I think the documentaries, music programmes and foreign crime series on BBC4 is worth £2:80 a week all on its own.

I rarely watch BBC1 or 2. Never watch ITV1.

Absolutely. BBC4 has some utter gems on there

18 hours ago, Rouge Sans Pareil said:

ITV is the televisual equivalent of the Daily Star.

Ha, that is spot on. It's logo should be white writing on a red block, with a scantily dressed woman under it. A complete and utter shit fest. At least we don't have to pay for it though, that's the only thing that consoles me

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Absolutely. BBC4 has some utter gems on there

Ha, that is spot on. It's logo should be white writing on a red block, with a scantily dressed woman under it. A complete and utter shit fest. At least we don't have to pay for it though, that's the only thing that consoles me

Definitely.

I actually like the concept of BBC three and think it's important to have an outlet for new comedy series where ratings aren't necessarily an issue. I think as you get older it's easy to get stuck in your ways and not try anything new. I'm closer to 40 than I am 30 and could happily stick with what I was brought up with (Harry Enfield, The Fast Show, Vic and Bob etc), not a bad thing I know, but have actually found some decent new things on BBC3 (Uncle, People Just do Nothing, most of the Chris Lilley stuff). Just because it's new doesn't necessarily mean it only appeals to kids (the fact that I have a completely immature sense of humour still helps though!)

It's the same with music, I still love a lot of the stuff I was into as a teenager (Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Sugar) but make a point of buying new music each month and where possible seeing new bands. Another BBC station, Radio 6 is a brilliant outlet for that and I regularly discover new music from listening most days.

3 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Harsh? ask the kids abused by the Boys Buggery Club if they thinks it harsh

Jimmy "paedo" Saville is the only BBC employee that was exposed - after his death I might add. Don't point at Rolf Harris either. He was convicted for underage girls.

On 11/26/2015, 1:48:42, Red-Robbo said:

I asked the same question yesterday. The same programs made by the same people would cost the same ! All they would save is any fee incured by transmission and as they would still be running all the other stations will the saving be noticeable ??

4 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Because the NHS never tried to cover it up.

I think you'll find lots of doctors turned a blind eye to the suspiciously high death rate among Shipman's patients and the local health board ignored concerns that were raised at the time.

Of course, Savile,  who you were referring too earlier, allegedly abused most of his victims in hospital too - and others in places like Capitol Radio, Catholic charities etc. If there were blind eyes turned by some people in the 60s and 70s, I think it reflects a then common viewpoint that TV stars, celebrities,  pop stars etc had carte blanche with young "groupies". We now quite rightly view such a view as wrong, immoral and repulsive and recognise that it enabled paedophilia. 

On 11/29/2015, 4:22:06, Red-Robbo said:

I think you'll find lots of doctors turned a blind eye to the suspiciously high death rate among Shipman's patients and the local health board ignored concerns that were raised at the time.

Of course, Savile,  who you were referring too earlier, allegedly abused most of his victims in hospital too - and others in places like Capitol Radio, Catholic charities etc. If there were blind eyes turned by some people in the 60s and 70s, I think it reflects a then common viewpoint that TV stars, celebrities,  pop stars etc had carte blanche with young "groupies". We now quite rightly view such a view as wrong, immoral and repulsive and recognise that it enabled paedophilia. 

Where did i mention Saville?

Defending the Boys Buggery Club like you are makes me wonder

Archived