IGNORED

England at the Gate

RedLionLad

33 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

Hope it all went well today. No doubt SL and/or Bristol Sport will be keen to showcase Ashton Gate to the FA on the hope that a U21's game may get held there. Would be a great opertumity to get the new AG on the map.

I thought the comments I heard were very positive. A very different crowd, from a baby who could only have been a few days old to older people, and lots of older teenage girls. Lots of children but certainly more varied crowd than I thought.

I was sat near several groups of men, aged 55/60, they were very knowledgeable about the players and football. From what they were saying they hadn't been to Ashton Gate for years, made me wonder why not, they obviously liked their football. ( They may not be local of course)They seemed impressed with the stadium, as were all the comments I heard.

One young child did ask his Dad 'Are they really going to have enough Bristol City fans to sit in there?' as he pointed to our new Williams stand, out of the mouths of babes huh?

edit: The concourse was crowded with face painting and mascots etc before the match and there was community stuff/women's football stands outside in the car park. I didn't notice before the game what the food outlets were serving, in fact I didn't notice if they were open as I more or less went straight to my seat. After the match I saw that every shutter was down, all the outlets were closed, well in the SS anyway. I also saw notices up saying alcohol was not lowed to be sold at this event use to uefa regulations.

24 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought the comments I heard were very positive. A very different crowd, from a baby who could only have been a few days old to older people, and lots of older teenage girls. Lots of children but certainly more varied crowd than I thought.

I was sat near several groups of men, aged 55/60, they were very knowledgeable about the players and football. From what they were saying they hadn't been to Ashton Gate for years, made me wonder why not, they obviously liked their football. ( They may not be local of course)They seemed impressed with the stadium, as were all the comments I heard.

One young child did ask his Dad 'Are they really going to have enough Bristol City fans to sit in there?' as he pointed to our new Williams stand, out of the mouths of babes huh?

edit: The concourse was crowded with face painting and mascots etc before the match and there was community stuff/women's football stands outside in the car park. I didn't notice before the game what the food outlets were serving, in fact I didn't notice if they were open as I more or less went straight to my seat. After the match I saw that every shutter was down, all the outlets were closed, well in the SS anyway. I also saw notices up saying alcohol was not lowed to be sold at this event use to uefa regulations.

Possibly due to the expected age of a lot of the crowd which, as you said, contained a lot of youngsters and teenagers. Probably just as well as we wouldn`t want to lose our license due a young person getting taken to hospital for overdoing the blue wkd!

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Pity it`s not like the old days when if you had a U21 game at your ground, one of your young players would be put in the squad and normally get on. A way to boost the gate obviously but fun all the same. I think Matt Hewlett once played in one at AG.

And Chris Garland, many years ago in an under 23 match.

Took my (just) 4 year old daughter today for her first visit to the Gate, thought it would be a gentle introduction and to let her know that it isn't just men that can be good at football.

She had a great time, singing and clapping along with the band although we left after the first half as she was starting to get quite restless and cold! For £7.50 for the two us though meant it wasn't any bother to do so. Enjoyed our our view from the top corner of SS (Dolman side). 

It was interesting to see how the ladies team measured up in real life and I was pretty impressed. Strong, powerful and good technique, playing against a wall of 11 players was difficult but they got there eventually - as I saw on the telly at home in the end! :)

• Admin
13 hours ago, RedM said:

I also saw notices up saying alcohol was not lowed to be sold at this event use to uefa regulations.

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Possibly due to the expected age of a lot of the crowd which, as you said, contained a lot of youngsters and teenagers. Probably just as well as we wouldn`t want to lose our license due a young person getting taken to hospital for overdoing the blue wkd!

That is standard for any international fixture

14 hours ago, PluckaDuck said:

Are we meant to believe that woman never make "sexist" comments about male footballers.

Too true! Was at a family do on Saturday and to hear my missus and her sister going on about the egg chasers that they went to watch in the rugby world cup. Couldn`t get me hat on with some of the stuff they were coming out with!

Archived